Bandsaw blade touch-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudgeHollowBeaver

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on touching up the blades with a file or hand-held grinder in between removal/resharpen cycles? Are there jigs or files available similar to what one would hand sharpen a saw chain with?

On my 17" vertical bandsaw I use a electric rotary tool with a small drum sander, could use a stone also , made a little jig to hold same and just advance blade by hand ( without dismounting) to just kiss the gullet side of the teeth, works well enough that I can feel the difference from dull to sharp when passing a board through afterwards. 132" blade 3 tooth doesn't take real long a little tedious though. Blades last a bit longer just because less feed pressure is needed. I can usually do that about 3 times before a blade will give up due to fatigue, these are just standard spring steel blades what is referred to hard edge flex back type. Generally all band blades the teeth are harder than a file. Hand stoning would take way to long, imo. On a mill blade that might wear more than my vertical unit and may need to be re-set for the kerf width, otherwise you end up with the blade binding in the cut, overheating the blade causing premature failure. I have a couple bandsaw tooth grinding units but do not do it commercially, as it isn't very lucrative investment of my time.

Latest posts

Back