Bar/chain oil running out bottom of saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigiron

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Put my new to me MS251C away for winter today. Dumped gas that was in it when purchased and put in just a little of my ethanol free gas. It started right up and I ran it dry then noticed the front(next to log spikes) and bottom covered with bar oil which looked kind of thin to me. I have no idea what kind of oil was in it but I dumped it out. Is this normal ? Held bar tip against snow while reving and could not see any oil flinging off the tip.

As a added note, saw did not do this when I ran it at purchase. I did flip bar over when I installed a new chain. Had to remove a few burrs as well.

When you flipped the bar over, did you also clean out the oiler hole in the bar? If you didn't, it's probably clogged up with oily sawdust and you just need to clean it out. A clog would produce what you described. If you have a compressor, it's handy for blowing all the crud out of the bar groves, nose sprocket area, and the oiler holes.

Took the bar off today and cleaned out the black rubber oil line w/q-tip as far as it would reach. will try it tomorrow. Oil was coming out somewhere as everything inside the cover was soaked. It dose not leak if saw is not running.

Latest posts

Back