Bar & Chain Oil: who do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do decide on when buying bar oil?

• Manufacturer? (OEM vs. aftermarket)

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Price?

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Availablity? (saw dealer vs. store)

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Quantity? (quart, gallaon, etc.)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Greetings! I have been hanging around here for almost a month and have learned a few new things and seen quite a few interesting topics discussed. But here's my question for today: what brand of bar and chain oil do you prefer? I'm just wondering what you all have to say.

The awnsers to this and other questions Tomorrow! Same Bat Time! Same Bat Channel!

Husqvarna: 137, 61, (in pieces-yet), L65, 288xp, 2100CD
McCulloch: Mac 2-10 (wont stay running-rainy day project)

i run canadian tire summer and winter, cheap and it work's get a 4 liter jug for about $7.00, i go through alot in the mid summer to l8te fall so i like to keep cost's down. run amsoil 2 stoke mixed to 50:1 in all my saw's they seem to like it so far.

Glad you joined us! I personally like whatever is on sale like most everyone else.

pssst save yourself now and RUN! This is one of those endless questions that usually end up in an arguement. (a very legitimate question though dont take it bad :) )

Kansas

Last edited:
I like Husqvarna and Stihl bar oil but here lately I started buying Poulan at Walmart for $5.17 a gallon. As far as I can tell its just as good and half the price. My 395xp can go through a gallon in a very short time when I adjust the pump to lube a 36" bar.

I like Husqvarna and Stihl bar oil but here lately I started buying Poulan at Walmart for $5.17 a gallon. As far as I can tell its just as good and half the price. My 395xp can go through a gallon in a very short time when I adjust the pump to lube a 36" bar.

If I didn't know better I would swear I wrote this post.
I to use to use Husky, Stihl oil and have found the Poulan oil for half the price. And the only thing my 395xp loves more than chain oil is gas and oil.

If I didn't know better I would swear I wrote this post.
I to use to use Husky, Stihl oil and have found the Poulan oil for half the price. And the only thing my 395xp loves more than chain oil is gas and oil.

That's true, you know what they say: If you got horses in the barn you gota feed them!

There is a difference...

Stihl oil is a lot tackier, you can turn your oilers down further then with Husky oil and it still seems to lube better.

For the price after turning the rate down, Stihl wins in my saws, 2nd place with Husky and Power-Blend about even.

Sithl, turned down

Husky and Power-Blend

Fleet-Farm / Tractor Supply seem about the same also

El-Drain Oil and grease the bar as a last resort ( i would consider a trip into town first.) But would run it before I ran the green jug oil....

And I would only use Wild-Thinggy oil from Wally-World to burn brush-pile fires, It foams in the saw tank at temp - at altitude, what could it be doing for your bar and chain?

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks. I didn't know if recently this subject had been talked about.

It is brought up almost everyday since I joined this forum 3 years ago. Usually there will be 2 or 3 posted right around the same time.

So if you been here a month... you would have seen a "few"... :)

Do a search... all the readin' you want. Also just go back in the archives about 5 pages. I bet you find a minimum of 25 to 30 oil threads.

they're my "favorite" :laugh:

Gary

Just get a 361, it lubes the chain with its owners sense of self satisfaction.

I buy based on price because for the most part, bar oil is bar oil. I usually stock up on Poulan bar oil when its on sale at the local Farm and Fleet.
The only bar oil I wont use is Wal-Mart's Supertech. If you are going to use that stuff, you might just as well buy whatever kind of cheapo SAE 30 motor oil you can find, because its the same thing.
Wal-Mart may have, "SAE 30 bar oil" printed on the bottle, but we all know its nothing more than SAE 30 motor oil.

TSC for the 18" and under bars/50cc & under saws.

Stihl Orange bottle for the larger saws and longer bars.

The 026 and small Echo really pump out the oil. Don't notice any difference between the Tractor Supply brand and Stihl.

I have not run anything except Stihl orange bottle in my larger saws.
It just ain't worth it to me!

Back