Bar/chain setup ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I could use some advice here.I have been cutting firewood for years and now would like to rip some redwood stumps into slabs.

I have a stihl 046 mag dp that i want to use, so Im going down from 36 to 24 inch bar to get more power, neccesary?

Is a rip chain neccesary, What rip chain is available, and the best? From what I have seen on Baily's , Woodsman rip chain is "not for hand held use".

7 or 8 tooth sprocket? other?

I will eventually get an alaskan mill, if that matters in the setup selection.

thanks Guys!!

If you can get the 24" bar around the log, use it... the longer bar takes a tad more power to run the chain around the 36.

Ripping chain is nice, but I use regular chain ground to 10 degrees instead of 30-35. The cut is much smoother at 10 degrees. Regular chain at 35 degrees works, however, but leaves a rougher surface.

I use a 7T sprocket now... the saw seems less grabby, and cuts smoother... no loss on cutting speed either.

A mill setup is much easier to cut a flat slab with. If you are freehanding it, make sure your chain is sharpened properly, or it is very easy to cut curves over a long cut like that.

Have fun!

chain options

I take it hand sharpening with a round file wont work that well if I go with regular chain?

I have always liked the way those big curly q shavings look , but never known how to get them. Never needed to know either.

I have Oregon 72 CJ chain, so Ill try a 10 degree sharpening. I dont have a grinder so maybe ill have to pay 6 bucks to have one ground.

thanks for your help ,

Latest posts

Back