Bar clamp for milling with 076

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
Been doing some milling with my 076, and was quite alarmed at the amount of dust packing around the clutch, and the cracks forming in the clutch cover. It has taken me longer than i wanted to get up to speed on milling, and I don't want to stop to be replacing the clutch springs.

Looking through old posts, I came across one by WidowMaker1, who said he made his own steel plate so he could run with the clutch cover off. I have seen similar setups on a number of the older saws, so it seemed like a great idea to me.

Here's what I wound up with:

clamp1.jpg clamp2.jpg clamp3.jpg clamp4.jpg

Ran a whole bunch of tanks through it (it guzzles gas when milling), running both the Mini-Mill (28" bar) and the Alaskan mill (42" bar).

Works like a charm.

boards.jpg

edisto,
Thanks for sharing your idea. I used stacked washers but ran into the problem of lack of oil getting to the bar. I put tape on the outside for a quick fix. I think I'll plan to do what you did. What did you use to cut the slots?

edisto,
Thanks for sharing your idea. I used stacked washers but ran into the problem of lack of oil getting to the bar. I put tape on the outside for a quick fix. I think I'll plan to do what you did. What did you use to cut the slots?

For the large slot that gives clearance for the tensioner, I drilled a series of holes with the drill press, then I just used a Dremel with a round diamond bit to connect them. I wish I had a mill! For the small slot, which just gives clearance for a bend in the cover plate I just used the Dremel with a smaller bit.

The whole thing was kind of a rush job. I basically put a piece of paper on the clutch cover, rubbed charcoal on it (not artist's charcoal, just what I have for the smoker), cut it out and glued it to the 3/8 plate with spray glue as a guide.

For the large slot that gives clearance for the tensioner, I drilled a series of holes with the drill press, then I just used a Dremel with a round diamond bit to connect them. I wish I had a mill! For the small slot, which just gives clearance for a bend in the cover plate I just used the Dremel with a smaller bit.

The whole thing was kind of a rush job. I basically put a piece of paper on the clutch cover, rubbed charcoal on it (not artist's charcoal, just what I have for the smoker), cut it out and glued it to the 3/8 plate with spray glue as a guide.
Thanks for the details. That'll help me when I make mine. Wish I had a small mill too.

check out the milling forum and specifically, the BIL Mills by @BobL

He runs his custom mills without clutch covers on his big stihls. He also has devised a super cool chain tensioner set up on the bar nose ends.

Many of his old photos have been lost on the site, but this thread has some good pics to get an idea:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/bar-stud-mount-alaskan-style-mill.299823/#post-5954151

Bob is definitely a renaissance man. A perfect combination of sharp thinking and a solid skill set.

Latest posts

Back