Bar oil for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I have always run Canadian Tire house brand bar oil, and never had a problem, now that I am getting into milling more, it doesn't seem to be standing up to milling, the bar is getting fairly warm/hot while milling. Is say the Stihl bar oil allot better??

Thanks

Will

the bar will get a lot hotter wile miling as its running flat out longer. any oil will work i use engine oil as its cheep. if you are running a long bar an auxilary oiler will hepl with oiling.

I use a veggie based oil from these guys: http://www.greenpluslubes.com/. They're based in Calgary and I buy it in 5 gallon pails and split it with others - works out to about $13/gallon I think.

We've noticed that the chains run nice and cool and the oil sticks nicely to the places it needs to be. Best part of all - we're not flinging motor oil all over the bush.

I buy mine at Pacific Arborist over here, and I know he ships stuff over there. May want to give him a call and see if he can get you a gallon to try.

Nikko

Last edited:
I use a veggie based oil from these guys: http://www.greenpluslubes.com/. They're based in Calgary and I buy it in 5 gallon pails and split it with others - works out to about $13/gallon I think.

We've noticed that the chains run mice and cool and the oil sticks nicely to the places it needs to be. Best part of all - we're not flinging motor oil all over the bush.

I buy mine at Pacific Arborist over here, and I know he ships stuff over there. May want to give him a call and see if he can get you a gallon to try.

Nikko

Hey, thanks for the link. I wont ever use motor oil. I see there is a place up Island from me that is one of their distributors, have to phone and see if they have any. Only thing is its a 1 hour drive away.

There are some that might call me crazy, but I've been using canola oil for over 2 years. It is certainly runnier than petroleum oil, but it seems to last just as long in the oiler tank even with it cranked up to full blast. I do use an auxiliary oiler with bigger bars, and over a couple years, haven't noticed a difference in wear. Canola costs me about $8 a gallon now, roughly the same price as cheap bar oil. Because I often mill in the same spot for long periods, I end up using a gallon or two of oil in one spot(and a few gallons of gas). I don't want that amount of petro oil in the ground. Canola stays liquid at a lower temp than petro oil (corn oil & veggie oil blends freeze long before petro). It also smells better, or rather not as bad. I don't use this in my other saws that don't get used as often as the 394; I don't think that in a closed container it would dry out & gum up, but I'm not taking any chances. Even when I haven't touched the 394 in a couple months (last winter) it looked as fresh as when I'd put it in. Just my $.02

The Greenplus oil IS veggie oil based, but it's got added tactifiers to prevent it form being flung off the chain. The result is that you use less that if you were using straight veggie oil.

Nikko

I use Stihl oil inboard and canola outboard. The canola is injected through a hollow bolt into the bar groove after the chain has gone around the nose so the canola does not get flung off the bar before being used. I agree with Nate in that Canola smells slightly better than regular bar oil and seeing as my van stinks of oil I guess slightly rancid canola is better than bar oil?

There are some that might call me crazy, but I've been using canola oil for over 2 years. It is certainly runnier than petroleum oil, but it seems to last just as long in the oiler tank even with it cranked up to full blast. I do use an auxiliary oiler with bigger bars, and over a couple years, haven't noticed a difference in wear.

That's because it's the oiler's output that dictates flow. In other words, runnier doesn't make any difference too the oiler. It's going too pump whatever it's max (or less if you turn it down) cc per minute is regardless of viscosity. :cheers:

The Greenplus oil IS veggie oil based, but it's got added tactifiers to prevent it form being flung off the chain. The result is that you use less that if you were using straight veggie oil.

Nikko

I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't. My bad. I mostly use the canola because it is so much cheaper. The greenplus is I'm sure better oil, I'm just cheap!!

I've been paying $5.50/gal for the old fashioned "oily" stuff. I need to burn up some of my inventory, I've got 10-12 gallons sitting around. Time has not been "on my side."

Mark

Back