Bar oil SUBSTITUTES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was also able to google and find plenty of references to canola oil polymerizing. It definitely happens.
https://www.google.gr/search?q=canola+oil+polymerizing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
This kind of "polymerizing" will never occur at any kind of a machine.This is actually carbonizing.
Oil has to be stationary ,for starters
(like as applied on a cast iron skillet for example ) and not in motion / flow as in the case of
chainsaw bar & chain.

For what is worth ,once more I feel sorry for your experience with canola oil as bar oil substitute ,
but differs a lot from mine and other's .
I would not bother try it again myself, if I was in your place.

But still ,something went really wrong at your case.
Most probably the "canola oil" you 've used was not actually what it claimed to be .

I've seen tools locked up from using common vegetable oils mixed in fuel and bar oil tanks 😆. The heat sets the reaction in motion. I buy good grade fresh oil from A food grade clean new gallon jugs. I store it in the same jug or juice jugs of the clear half gallon size stored indoors or a toolbox and car trunks. Have used it it on assemblies before like a new bar and chain so I'm not covered in bar oil when setting up saws to go to work the next day. My squirter can is now canola oil. I steal her oil from the kitchen and she stole mine last month. I just stocked up again. Same oil. Now I'm looking for five gallon deals.

On a side note acetone turns the black death or gelled vegetable oils back to a nasty goo like substance you can clean out. Other methods with acid and heat also work but I'd never recommending it unless your outdoors and had all the safety measures covered. It's pretty simple to do.

I don't use canola for bucking firewood most times but did use it last week with no issues and the bar oil was added in at the last tank after the canola was dumped out. Another key point. You can just dump it anywhere or use it around sensitive foliage, pools, ponds and lakes. The power head was my grumpy milling saw 660 with a ride foot clamped to the bar. Man it hauls ass in firewood!

I use canola oil while cutting firewood in our farm.Little toddler of mine likes to play with saw chips.
But for work I use mineral bar oil
(Stihl ForestPlus ) .

I always empty both the fuel and bar oil tanks on my chainsaws after use.
Regarding the oil tank ,no matter what kind of oil used ,I empty any remaining oil back into it's can and pour some fuel mix into the oil tank .
Shake a bit and run the chainsaw until fuel mix is being sprayed from the bar tip.
Then I empty the oil tank and let the cap open for the remaining traces of fuel to completely evaporate.

A bit risky rinsing method ,since all it takes is a spark ...

I use canola oil while cutting firewood in our farm.Little toddler of mine likes to play with saw chips.
But for work I use mineral bar oil
(Stihl ForestPlus ) .

I always empty both the fuel and bar oil tanks on my chainsaws after use.
Regarding the oil tank ,no matter what kind of oil used ,I empty any remaining oil back into it's can and pour some fuel mix into the oil tank .
Shake a bit and run the chainsaw until fuel mix is being sprayed from the bar tip.
Then I empty the oil tank and let the cap open for the remaining traces of fuel to completely evaporate.

A bit risky rinsing method ,since all it takes is a spark ...
You worry too much about residue and sparks. Send it

It also makes my chip all useable for growing mushrooms or compost. Using canola has an added benefit beyond just the user. In today's market with high prices it's not hard to use a cheaper alternative that is less toxic.

My spelling may suck today :)

Attachments

• 20230208_135805.jpg
    20230208_135805.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I let canola sit in all my saws for 6-8 months. All still good to go. I never would have changed but oil got expensive and canola was 7$ a gallon at target. It’s actually pretty good stuff

I had trouble w veggie oil blend. It will rot in the tank and gum up. Straight canola will not

You might want to recheck your oil supply. I milled with canola last year in my tank and my drip feed. It doesn't stick to the saw or plasticize like you claim. It does not sit in my oil tank long term and is never mixed with anything but STP oil treatment if I needed it as an anti sling agent that day. It gets drained out of my tank and replaced with regular bar oil to run through the system and no adverse effects. My chain wear is the same as regular bar oil and the bar wear is about the same. No gum, no goo and nothing sticks to the saw any different.

Don't try it with other vegetable oils or mixed blends they turn to a polymer pretty quickly after being heated up.
Adding STP to Canola defeats the purpose of using it. It contains alot of ZDDP which is a heavy metal additive. It also won't improve the load carrying bikini of canola or sling properties of canola in a meaningful way.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone tried used deep fryer oil from restaurants...?? There has been a rash of thefts from the tanks the bio-fuel companies have at restaurants around here. Could it be sawyers at work? 😉

I'd be curious to hear if anyone tried used deep fryer oil from restaurants...?? There has been a rash of thefts from the tanks the bio-fuel companies have at restaurants around here. Could it be sawyers at work? 😉
It would work if it’s clean but if left sitting it would gum. I wouldn’t use it. I had problems with a veggie blend many years ago.

It rotted in my tank and plugged some stuff up. Not a huge issue to fix but not something I’d want to deal with

It would work if it’s clean but if left sitting it would gum. I wouldn’t use it. I had problems with a veggie blend many years ago.

It rotted in my tank and plugged some stuff up. Not a huge issue to fix but not something I’d want to deal with
So identifying sawyers using restaurant oil wouldn't be difficult when they bring the saw into a shop... 😉

You didn’t use pure canola

Or they somehow got ahold of "unrefined" canola oil which polymerizes at 225F, and got their saw HOT.

Refined canola oil doesn't polymerize until 400F, and if you got anything on your saw anywhere near 400F you've got way bigger problems than some gummed up oil.

How much money are you saving on bar oil? It's $9.99 a gallon at my local farm store. The cheapest canola oil I can find is Walmart brand at $9.12 a gallon.

Latest posts

Back