bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that wasn't particularly helpful, was it? :laugh:

We've sourced it from PetroCan, (no help to you, again!) Esso, Chevron, Saf-T-Kleen.

I googled around and in thirty seconds, see where Exxon U.S. has in in 55gal drums.

If you've got a company fuel account with any of the big Petro congloms, they all make industial lubes, phone up your rep and have him ship you a barrel.

Edited to add: Have him throw in a hand-operated drum pump as part of the deal, promising to order more. Otherwise you'll end up building some sort of barrel sawhorse so you can tap it with a spigot.

Hope this is more helpful.:rockn:

RedlineIt

Last edited:
Beofre we owned a Stihl dealership we got ours from Cling tuff. Sometimes it works out to be cheaper to buy it in gallon jugs.

Gallon jugs

I have bought it both ways and have tried to buy it inbulk but wal-mart seams to have the lowest price per gallon and you don't have to mess around with a drum and they will order you as much as you want.

The earth weeps toxic tears at the thought of this. Doesn't the thought of spraying a 55 gallon drum of petroleum oil out on the ground, in your own locale, doesn't this do a sideways tweak to your environmental sensitivity?

I'm not an enviro-nazi, but I do care, enough to pop in here and offer other soutions.

I read threads like this and it flashes me back to childhood, watching my Grandpa empty the dirty oil out of his car into a spot on the ground. Something about that didn't seem right.

Tree Machine said:
The earth weeps toxic tears at the thought of this. Doesn't the thought of spraying a 55 gallon drum of petroleum oil out on the ground, in your own locale, doesn't this do a sideways tweak to your environmental sensitivity?

I'm not an enviro-nazi, but I do care, enough to pop in here and offer other soutions.

I read threads like this and it flashes me back to childhood, watching my Grandpa empty the dirty oil out of his car into a spot on the ground. Something about that didn't seem right.
thanks all who replied , i just want bar oil for my saws i dont want to create a toxic superfund site, locally i pay from 10-8 bucks a jug, jest trying to do some math and save some time j

jmack said:
thanks all who replied , i just want bar oil for my saws i dont want to create a toxic superfund site, locally i pay from 10-8 bucks a jug, jest trying to do some math and save some time j

J read those threads that TM posted. You can save $$$$ and the environment, and yourself!!! Seriously, go veggie its wicked smaat!

OTG BOSTON said:
J read those threads that TM posted. You can save $$$$ and the environment, and yourself!!! Seriously, go veggie its wicked smaat!
ayuh ill go back and check

thanks i never knew where the first thread went i figured i was censored cause i said rude remarks, thanks for the redirect tm
I directed to the above listed thread because a respected member, a veggie user, is making a choice to not only go back to regular bar oil, but to buy a 55 gallon drum of it. The choice was based totally on cost.

I listed it as 'another helpful thread' because it gives us an opportunity to ask ourselves about those costs. The member from Canada remarked that veggie oil prices have shot up, that he has a meager budget, whatever.

Veggie oil is a food, found worldwide and traded as a commodity. The fact that you can find it everywhere keeps the price stable. Commodity prices rise industry-wide, not just in spotty places. A rise in the price of Veggie oil in British Columbia should be seen as rising prices all over. I have a feeling the member sought a price from a single dealer and that dealer wanted to make a few dollars profit on a barrel. Member sees this as the price shooting up and decides to go back to the slightly cheaper bar oil. If I had a meager budget, the last thing on earth I would do is buy 55 gallons of oil and have that money tied up for the next year. I would put that money into marketing and generate BUSINESS. That's how you deal with a meager budget, not by buying a large quantity of something you know to be toxic to the environment to shave a few dollars.

Naw, jmack, I don't recall you having any rude comments. The veggie oil thread you're referring to was dropped into the equipment forum, in the chainsaw forum and buried on page three. A reply to it does not move it up the ladder, it stays buried deep. I have approached the council on this as we were in the middle of that discussion and actively participating. This thread, and the one I redirected to are both about bar oil (hence the thread title) and about sourcing it in 55 gallon drums. Discussion about veggie here is totally off topic.

business

Commodity prices should, in economic theory, impact large scale national/global. These prices do, however, tend to have pocket-regional tendencies to be nasy...until Mr. Market catches up. Nice to save a few bucks buying in bulk, but sage advice already given (marketing) to get more bang for buck. Do the math--even given the current interest rates.

Tree Machine said:
I directed to the above listed thread because a respected member, a veggie user, is making a choice to not only go back to regular bar oil, but to buy a 55 gallon drum of it. The choice was based totally on cost.

I listed it as 'another helpful thread' because it gives us an opportunity to ask ourselves about those costs. The member from Canada remarked that veggie oil prices have shot up, that he has a meager budget, whatever.

Veggie oil is a food, found worldwide and traded as a commodity. The fact that you can find it everywhere keeps the price stable. Commodity prices rise industry-wide, not just in spotty places. A rise in the price of Veggie oil in British Columbia should be seen as rising prices all over. I have a feeling the member sought a price from a single dealer and that dealer wanted to make a few dollars profit on a barrel. Member sees this as the price shooting up and decides to go back to the slightly cheaper bar oil. If I had a meager budget, the last thing on earth I would do is buy 55 gallons of oil and have that money tied up for the next year. I would put that money into marketing and generate BUSINESS. That's how you deal with a meager budget, not by buying a large quantity of something you know to be toxic to the environment to shave a few dollars.

Naw, jmack, I don't recall you having any rude comments. The veggie oil thread you're referring to was dropped into the equipment forum, in the chainsaw forum and buried on page three. A reply to it does not move it up the ladder, it stays buried deep. I have approached the council on this as we were in the middle of that discussion and actively participating. This thread, and the one I redirected to are both about bar oil (hence the thread title) and about sourcing it in 55 gallon drums. Discussion about veggie here is totally off topic.
appreciated it thankyou

Back