Bar sizes between 42-50"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
What bar lengths are available between 42" and 50" for D009 mount, 3/8, 0.063 gauge?

Does anyone make a 48" bar with those specs or is it 42" or 50" only?

What bar lengths are available between 42" and 50" for D009 mount, 3/8, 0.063 gauge?

Why would you want to run 3/8" on a bar that long? At any length over 36" or so, 3/8" will tend to cut crooked. .404" is much better for guide bars that long.

If you have to run 3/8" on a guide bar that long, you can probably get a 48" guide bar with a .404" tip, and replace the tip with a 3/8" tip.

Hope this helps!
[emoji3]

it's not that 3/8's cuts crooked with longer lengths. it cuts way nicer then .404. in any situation pretty well but bars and chains don't last as long. as they wear and get sloppy that's when you start to see ugly cuts. lack of bar maintenenace with 3/8's it's also huge! proper chain tension is key. seems you can run .404 forever on the same bar as 3/8's and get way more life out of it and go way longer in between bar servicing. i think the deeper drive links stabilize the chain better

You should be able to purchase a stock Husqvarna bar that's 063 gauge along with the appropriate sprocket as I had a 404 setup on a 394 that was oem.

I don't want 404. I'm wanting to know if there is a bar between a 42 and 50 like a 48 that comes with 3/8 sprocket nose.

Cannon SuperBar With S1 Motor Mount and Standard Radius Replaceable Sprocket Nose – 16″ – 60″ – CSB-S1

Available Lengths:

• 16″
  • 18″
  • 20″
  • 22″
  • 24″
  • 28″
  • 30″
  • 32″
  • 34″
  • 37″
  • 41″
  • 50″
  • 60″

Why would you want to run 3/8" on a bar that long? At any length over 36" or so, 3/8" will tend to cut crooked. .404" is much better for guide bars that long.

If you have to run 3/8" on a guide bar that long, you can probably get a 48" guide bar with a .404" tip, and replace the tip with a 3/8" tip.

Hope this helps!
[emoji3]

it's not that 3/8's cuts crooked with longer lengths. it cuts way nicer then .404. in any situation pretty well but bars and chains don't last as long. as they wear and get sloppy that's when you start to see ugly cuts. lack of bar maintenenace with 3/8's it's also huge! proper chain tension is key. seems you can run .404 forever on the same bar as 3/8's and get way more life out of it and go way longer in between bar servicing. i think the deeper drive links stabilize the chain better

Ya, that's what I was trying to say,
the .404 is sturdier because there's fewer bigger links, therefore it cuts a little bit straighter than 3/8",(it's less likely to twist) but 3/8" cuts cleaner.
On a mill, you should be okay running 3/8"; felling w/ 3/8" that long may be a different story...

Ya, that's what I was trying to say,
the .404 is sturdier because there's fewer bigger links, therefore it cuts a little bit straighter than 3/8",(it's less likely to twist) but 3/8" cuts cleaner.
On a mill, you should be okay running 3/8"; felling w/ 3/8" that long may be a different story...

i fall with 3/8's on a 36" and the only problem i have is when a bar gets tired and running a tired chain. at that point i know that the next chain i run on that bar will cut true till about half life and then get sloppy again unless i pinch and dress the bar. i always pinch and dress well before that happens though. i also run 3/8's on a 42" occasionally and never had a problem. we have a 72" cannon we ran 3/8's on at first but switched to .404 for chain life, durability, and way way way less derails on a bar that length even with the fat belly. the 72" was fine with 3/8's and i actually like it more when it's cutting right. .404 sure is more reliable and stays sharper alot longer though.

Latest posts

Back