Bar Sprocket Locked Up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill try and exchange it tommorow i need to buy another chain anyways cant wait till my newest addition gets here its a poulan 1050 just needs carb work

i just bought a new oregon bar and chain for my poulan 3400 cut one branch and the chain poped off and messed up the drive teeth i filed them down and then ran the saw now the tip locked up solid there are no wood chips lodged is there any way to free it up or do i need to take it back and try to get my money back

Yeah take it back and let us know what happens.................:hmm3grin2orange:

well when i looked it up at the store i got the one that it said to use with the poulan 3400 the chain works just fine with the old bar just cant figure out why the tip on the bar lock up so quick

I've jammed sprockets before myself. Usually it's because I was pushing the nose into the wood pretty aggressively. I now keep a small ball peen hammer in my bucket to tap the sprocket free if this happens in the field. If I cannot free it by dragging the chain, I take the bar off and tap the teeth on the sprocket to spin it free. I always follow that with a shot of WD 40 around the nose. That usually works wonders.

At the end of the day, I always blow off the saw with compressed air, and that includes the bar groves. I also give the sprocket a shot of WD 40 and blow air against the sprocket teeth to force it to spin. I make it spin in each direction. I think this helps clear any dust or grit from the nose, and I know it's ready to go again.

Latest posts

Back