Bar suggestions for 075

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey all:

Picked up an strong running 075 off CL awhile back. Came with no B&C. I may get it ported but haven't decided yet. I'm looking for suggestions on a top-line .404 bar. Probably a 42 if I don't get it ported, but from 42 on up if I do. I could get a new Stihl bar for it I suppose, but I'm really interested in what other folks with Stihls of that size have found to be good bars.

Found a site selling some really great GB Titanium bars, but anything that fit the 075 in .404 was NLA. I've run Sugi bars before and loved the, but can't find any Sugi bars in that size/length.

Also wouldn't mind perspectives on porting a big saw with a fixed H and rev limited coil. Worth it? Not worth it? I've owned a number of ported saws, and liked every darn one of them. :)

Thoughts, fine people? Thanks!

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Don't bother with any bars over 42 inches, the 075 lacks the HP to pull much more than that. The one I got running was in great shape just been sitting too long has a 42 inch bar and it just fell flat buried in yellow pine(soft wood) and would stall out the chain if barely pressed. It does rock and roll with a hard nose 36 inch, had it buried and it never faltered even if leaned on. You would think that 111cc's of stihl power would do better.

Photo0204.jpg

wd2.jpg

Last edited:
StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, my ported 660 wears a 36-inch in 3/8 .050 and loves it. Figured the 075, at 111cc, would pull a 42 without a lot of trouble. Of course, a ported 91 cc saw isn't that far from a stock old 111cc saw, at least on paper. Hmmm, that port job is looking better! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Well, my ported 660 wears a 36-inch in 3/8 .050 and loves it. Figured the 075, at 111cc, would pull a 42 without a lot of trouble. Of course, a ported 91 cc saw isn't that far from a stock old 111cc saw, at least on paper. Hmmm, that port job is looking better! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

It will pull a 42, I think 42 is the effective limit on the 075 and would not run anything longer. The main problem is weight that 075 with a 42 inch bar and .404 chain will wear you out.

tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
It will pull a 42, I think 42 is the effective limit on the 075 and would not run anything longer. The main problem is weight that 075 with a 42 inch bar and .404 chain will wear you out.

I have one with a 36" bar and used it for a half a day recently and it wore me out, but I am 74 years old. Tom

jeepyfz450

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Definately tough finding a selection of large mount stihl bars. I run a 50'' on my 090 and it pulls it very well. I really want to find a 72'' B/C but dont really wanna spend 400+ for just the bar.

Alex D

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Ive never owned or used a 075/076 so take what I say with a grain of salt. But if the 075/076 is similar to the 090 and other big old stihls it will have heaps of torque like I suppose any big saw from that era. It should be more comparable to the 088 than to the 660. Both torque and cc wise. So a 42" bar or bigger should run without any problems at least in NA wood. Im quite suprised to here that a 075 bogs down with a 42" bar in pine something may not be right with it. Plus I don't think they take to porting as well as the newer saws however I could be very wrong here.

Oh and try a OS cannon or general on it, they seem to work very well on the old saws

Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
I hav'ent seen too many bars for the 075 either. I lucked up on a 42" .404 bar for mine. It's not running yet though so no feedback.

I have wondered what gains could be had from porting an 075. Mine did'nt look like it had alot of room for widening. Maybe someone can tell us more about it.

I have loads of different parts. Got a couple Tilly hs-60B carbs too. PM me if you need anything for yours.

Mine has an adjustable H and L, but is governed on the carb.

homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Don't just take my word for it, ask the fella's who ran them back in the day when they were still cutting 10 foot red woods and cedars. I did a lot of research while freshening that 075, which was never used professionally and stored a majority of its life, I only replaced the rubber pieces and carb as it sat with fuel in it too long, it runs as a new saw, the story I got was that they did not carry the same power as the McCullochs and Homelites of the day. I am not saying they are a slouch just that you will be disappointed with the performance with bars longer than 42 inches, I only speak from my personal experiences with one of the nicest examples I have seen.

Alex D

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
I hav'ent seen too many bars for the 075 either. I lucked up on a 42" .404 bar for mine. It's not running yet though so no feedback.

I have wondered what gains could be had from porting an 075. Mine did'nt look like it had alot of room for widening. Maybe someone can tell us more about it.

I have loads of different parts. Got a couple Tilly hs-60B carbs too. PM me if you need anything for yours.

Mine has an adjustable H and L, but is governed on the carb.

Apparently Stihl no longer makes bars to fit the old large amounts such as the 075,076, 090 etc... They changed the oiler holes so that they can fit the 088/880/new 880 and perhaps the 084. For example the bar on the left is a new one and its oiling pattern is only for the 088/880 while the other two can fit al large mounts. Although the middle one has a different small hole pattern than the stihl large mount on the right. Very weird yet they're all "large mount" stihls

020.jpg picture by stihl1 - Photobucket

Alex D

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
Don't just take my word for it, ask the fella's who ran them back in the day when they were still cutting 10 foot red woods and cedars. I did a lot of research while freshening that 075, which was never used professionally and stored a majority of its life, I only replaced the rubber pieces and carb as it sat with fuel in it too long, it runs as a new saw, the story I got was that they did not carry the same power as the McCullochs and Homelites of the day. I am not saying they are a slouch just that you will be disappointed with the performance with bars longer than 42 inches, I only speak from my personal experiences with one of the nicest examples I have seen.

Interesting now that you mention the old growth loggers of the big cc chainsaw era; RandyMac I think always says that the Stihls of that day compared to McCullochs and the Homelites were underpowered, overweight, and overpriced. Now sidetracking a bit here but apart from the 797s and 125s-cart and non cart motors which were saws by the specs alone built to what is not even matched today power to weight ratio wise what other good non geardrive McCullochs and Homelites were there that would be underweight, overpowered and not overpriced?

Dan_IN_MN

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey all:

Picked up an strong running 075 off CL awhile back. Came with no B&C. I may get it ported but haven't decided yet. I'm looking for suggestions on a top-line .404 bar. Probably a 42 if I don't get it ported, but from 42 on up if I do. I could get a new Stihl bar for it I suppose, but I'm really interested in what other folks with Stihls of that size have found to be good bars.

Found a site selling some really great GB Titanium bars, but anything that fit the 075 in .404 was NLA. I've run Sugi bars before and loved the, but can't find any Sugi bars in that size/length.

Also wouldn't mind perspectives on porting a big saw with a fixed H and rev limited coil. Worth it? Not worth it? I've owned a number of ported saws, and liked every darn one of them. :)

Thoughts, fine people? Thanks!

STEVE! You know the AS Rule! No pics..........it didn't happen! :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
homelitejim

homelitejim

Full of Scrap
Interesting now that you mention the old growth loggers of the big cc chainsaw era; RandyMac I think always says that the Stihls of that day compared to McCullochs and the Homelites were underpowered, overweight, and overpriced. Now sidetracking a bit here but apart from the 797s and 125s-cart and non cart motors which were saws by the specs alone built to what is not even matched today power to weight ratio wise what other good non geardrive McCullochs and Homelites were there that would be underweight, overpowered and not overpriced?

They are all overweight, but in the 111 112 cc class there are the 2100 homies and at 106cc the McCulloch super pro 105 and the super 550, I am not sure as to the price or weight but I am sure the Homies and Macs both outclassed the 075 in power, and those are a few examples I pulled off the top of my head from near the same era.

sawfun9

sawfun9

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd go with a 36" bar maximum on a 075/076 series saw. I had a good running 076 super and 42" buried in maple really slowed it down. in fact I'd bet my 066 would have gone faster if I'd have had a 42" bar for it. The 076 did not have anywhere near the power of my stock 880. And comparing it with the 090, the only thing they have in common is the Stihl name and colors. My Homelite 750 and Jonsereds 111S both have much more power than the 076 super did. I tend to favor Stihl but that model is probably best left to milling where you feed it slowly to get a nice finish on the cut. For bucking my 076 super sucked big. Others may have a different experience, but it did not perform like 111cc's ought to.

tramp bushler

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al

Sorry Jim ; but As to the general run of 075 s they were real good saws. Are you sure someone didn't put 075 tag on an 051 .
I bucked over size spruce pulp logs for firewood one winter in Sitka. Some were pushin 10' on the butt. The pulp mill gave them away. I ran an 075 with a 50" Cannon on it. 404 full skip #52 AJ. I'de have the bar full of wood with both hands on the pistol grip. I'de lift and it would burryme in noodles. . Hands down out cut my 2100 .

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the replies, guys. And pardon me for the fixed H thing. Was actually thinking of a different old saw I had when I was typing that. Naw, I ain't old yet, but I can see it from here! :frown:

I reckon the skip chain is a good idea. :)

Anybody out there ported an 075?

Latest posts