Bar Tip Grease Gun?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often do you pack your front wheel bearings on your 4x4 truck? Front axle in the hubs? How often do you grease the tie rod ends? How about u joints?
Do you own a grease gun?

Front wheel bearings and front hubs every fall and spring.
Grease tie rods every three months

I own three grease guns, one moly grease, one red tacky grease

So I would ask this? Is your sprocket wearing out first or does the rail wear out first? I don’t have a lot of experience with big saws and relatable tips, but the low profile consumer stuff all wears out at the rail.

I grease lots of things every 6-12 hours. Some things never, cause they are sealed. Although I have re-packed many sealed bearings. Some other things a few times a year, some things monthly or so. It varies.

But sprocket tips never. No need.

I’ve seen high mileage used sprocket tips with play in the rollers when I got them. I replaced the tips.

My first 350 husky saw I purchased the PO said it ran. The clutch needle bearing was rusted to the crank, fix the crankcase air leak, new fuel line, filter, new clutch drum/ bearing, it finally ran, the saw was filthy.

Yeah Bill- while I agree with what you are saying- it was perhaps not the angle I was aiming for with the Prince Albert comment- perhaps google will be your friend?

I just use a small syringe to grease the bar tip sprocket if there is a hole to do so, if not, clean it with air being careful not to spin it up, and apply bar oil to it.
either way, if its oiling correctly, in time, the bar oil lubricates the sprocket, have not had an issue with the grease stopping the oil from lubricating it, I find that the bar oil is absorbed by the grease over time anyway, and helps lubricate it.
its better than running it dry and relying on rust, or dry wood chips to lubricate it.

I just use a small syringe to grease the bar tip sprocket if there is a hole to do so, if not, clean it with air being careful not to spin it up, and apply bar oil to it.
either way, if its oiling correctly, in time, the bar oil lubricates the sprocket, have not had an issue with the grease stopping the oil from lubricating it, I find that the bar oil is absorbed by the grease over time anyway, and helps lubricate it.
its better than running it dry and relying on rust, or dry wood chips to lubricate
Hey mate,
Why not spin it up? Bearings not designed to withstand 10k rpm?
I oil mine up then have a good old time making it sound like a turbine with the air compressor.

Hey mate,
I oil mine up then have a good old time making it sound like a turbine with the air compressor.
Try using a tachometer on the air driven turbine that is making you grin- you might be shocked just how fast it is spinning while you are blowing the lubricant out of the bearing.

I grease intermittently, but was told the same thing most were "do if you have "and "dont if you haven't "
I restore alot of bars and grease will hydraulically push out rust and other debris oil and air will not . I find a good oiler keeps the nose pretty clear but one soaked red oak can jam stuff in there good and I'll grease it out.
I've never blown or seized a sprocket nose yet so it might be a good practice,but I rotate saws frequently and that certainly affects mileage.
Maintenance overall is wildly undervalued by most saw owners.

Hey mate,
Go for it, and whilst your at it, dont bother with girly safety goggles, and put it right under your nose to feel the harmonics of the spin.

:)

Latest posts

Back