BARC, boston area rec climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I launched a Boston area rec climbers community web site yesterday. Check it out, it's bare bones at this point. The intent is to provide a place to get together with local climbers, schedule climbs, talk about technique etc. There are a lot of people who want to climb but know nothing. I'm hoping we can provide a way from them to get an introduction to basic technique in a safe context. But I'd also like to get you experienced climbers involved. For instance how about going and climbing a 110 ft. white pine in the woods near Boston? Good chance to work on your SRT technique and climb far away from houses and powerlines for a change.

There is a discussion forum, I'll be using it (or instance) to announce on short notice things like: Hey I'm going to climb on Saturday, anyone want to join me?

Check it out here. You should be able to sign up right on the site if you'd like. If you have any problems let me know.
BARC

-moss

sweeeeeeeeet

We've had climbers come from upstate new york, New Jersey, all 6 of the New England states, and one from Florida. Not to mention the one-legged frenchman and other tree climbing "celebrities" (at least to me!).

Of course all the big climbs will still get posted here.

Thanks moss:cheers: BARC is officially official!

We've had climbers come from upstate new york, New Jersey, all 6 of the New England states, and one from Florida. Not to mention the one-legged frenchman and other tree climbing "celebrities" (at least to me!).

Of course all the big climbs will still get posted here.

Thanks moss:cheers: BARC is officially official!

OTG came up with the BARC idea, I just pushed the buttons and made the site happen.

We'll have to post the "early" history of BARC somewhere. Eventually we'll have a links section on the front page back to the Arboristsite rec forum of course!
-moss

cool

I'd like to be involved, Maybe I'll start a spinoff called BBARC.......

Seriously though, I'll sign up and continue to support you guys in this rec climbing stuff.

barc the climbing ,the tree,the site....

moss,

what a wonderful idea .you know you can count me in for any climb in the boston area.My new rope is on its way and my saddle will be reajusted by new tribe soon. I'll be ready soon to go back up comfortably(that's the key).please let me know of your avalability so we can find the right time for this honey locust of yours. As i told you @ the climb in Hartford ,i now have the gears i needed to climb safe and look forward to share some time with you up there.
Again congrats on the new thread:clap: .i'll be out of town until 11/26/07 but would like to look at that honey:greenchainsaw: when you have some free time.
happy turkey day to all of you
Alban

barc the climbing ,the tree,the site....

moss,

what a wonderful idea .you know you can count me in for any climb in the boston area.My new rope is on its way and my saddle will be reajusted by new tribe soon. I'll be ready soon to go back up comfortably(that's the key).please let me know of your avalability so we can find the right time for this honey locust of yours. As i told you @ the climb in Hartford ,i now have the gears i needed to climb safe and look forward to share some time with you up there.
Again congrats on the new thread:clap: .i'll be out of town until 11/26/07 but would like to look at that honey:greenchainsaw: when you have some free time.
Alban

Cool site Moss!

I used to live in the Boston area when I was young. I still go back sometimes to visit old friends. Would love to hook up with you guys for a rec climb someday.

moss,

Alban

Alban, good to hear from you. I took that big dead limb out of the Honey Locust finally. What fun it was, did it one piece, cradled to a block and 1/2" rope, porta-wrap on the trunk tended by a most excellent groundie. Made the cut with my 36" bucking saw and watched it gently lowered and turned to fit between house and coaxial cables. I guess it was recreational climbing since no money was involved. Nevertheless, plenty of interesting climbing still to be had in that tree.

1987230314_a1434305f7.jpg

I'll be needing help getting all the new BARC members up in trees, your climbing expertise will be welcome.
-moss

bermie if your in winchester for the next week and have nothing to do come out with my crew. i'll ask my boss to see if he has a problem with it.
you are a pro right?

our shop is in the next town over.

i dont know maybe you see how we do it over here. we are not a huge operation but very efficient with what we got.

i'd think it would be a good time. at the very least you'd get a chance to see this loudmouth in action. lol

oldirty

So close and yet so far. I'll be in the Catskills for the weekend. Love to have you over to climb a 100' white pine I can't seem to get the top of. Maybe you could steal a car and make the 5 hr trip. Oh well, just so you know the invite is out there.

I'll take you up on that oldirty, if it works out with your boss... check your PM.

Thanks Ardpk, would have loved that...Catskills, wow. Post pictures!

Back