Bark damage on young apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinari

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, all:

First off, thank you for providing this resource.

A rabbit ate the bark near the base of my young Gala apple on a few spots. The damage is not circular, thankfully, but vertical; no more than 4" in height. I can't really get bark anywhere else to graft because the branches are so thin. Is there a product I can apply that will prevent infection and promote healing?

Thanks.

Repairing!!

No matter how much of the tree bark has been damaged, you will need to repair the wound.
If the tree is simply scratched, wash the wound with soap and water to reduce the amount of pathogens that may be in the scratch and wash it thoroughly with water after this. Allow the scratch to heal in the open air. Do not use a sealant. If the wound is more then 50% way around the tree..your tree is at risk! you can call the Arborist

Thank you, all. It sounds like it's not as bad as I assumed.

Do the wounds look sufficiently repaired? It has been two days now and the wounds are brown and dry.

Do you recommend I wrap the trunk with a finer mesh instead of having a fence around it?

View attachment 295837

Ps. As for taking care of the rabbits, my neighbors might frown on the slinging of lead. :msp_biggrin:

Thank you, all. It sounds like it's not as bad as I assumed.

Do the wounds look sufficiently repaired? It has been two days now and the wounds are brown and dry.

Do you recommend I wrap the trunk with a finer mesh instead of having a fence around it?

View attachment 295837

Ps. As for taking care of the rabbits, my neighbors might frown on the slinging of lead. :msp_biggrin:

wound looks ok not ideal to have but should recover, just try best to keep flopsy away by fence or trunk cover. I have used 2 foot of flexi agi pipe sliced and slipped over trunk to prevent critters chewing.

wound looks ok not ideal to have but should recover, just try best to keep flopsy away by fence or trunk cover. I have used 2 foot of flexi agi pipe sliced and slipped over trunk to prevent critters chewing.

Nice job tracing the loose tissue. :rock:

Where is the first root off the stem? :popcorn:

Thanks you.

Nice job tracing the loose tissue. :rock:

Where is the first root off the stem? :popcorn:

I haven't checked. Why do you ask?

From a standard rifle Remington brand subsonic loads will be quite enough to work like this. Take a toilet paper tube or smaller if you have it (mine has a bull barrel) and bore holes in the tube. Tape it to the barrel and then wrap a towel around it. Will have to use a scope to see over the towel............make sure nothing is in the line of the bore.

Your rabbit should be in the clover patch to the left of the tree come sun up when your neighbors are still asleep. Or just before dark tonight. Its garden season man I love little fuzzy wuzzies as much as the next peta activist, but that's my garden, not theirs, not yours or my wife's. And anything stealing from my garden is at risk from my

View attachment 296081

The rifle in the other pic is not the same rifle a 22 will not do that much damage, apologize for that part of the pic and understand if it gets take away.

From a standard rifle Remington brand subsonic loads will be quite enough to work like this. Take a toilet paper tube or smaller if you have it (mine has a bull barrel) and bore holes in the tube. Tape it to the barrel and then wrap a towel around it. Will have to use a scope to see over the towel............make sure nothing is in the line of the bore.

Your rabbit should be in the clover patch to the left of the tree come sun up when your neighbors are still asleep. Or just before dark tonight. Its garden season man I love little fuzzy wuzzies as much as the next peta activist, but that's my garden, not theirs, not yours or my wife's. And anything stealing from my garden is at risk from my

View attachment 296081

The rifle in the other pic is not the same rifle a 22 will not do that much damage, apologize for that part of the pic and understand if it gets take away.

It's much easier to just crank up AC-DC's For those about to rock and time your shot. Wait til the second chorus to make sure you have your timing down. I love Texas.

Yeah OK but then if the rabbit starts jamming out is it not too cool then to shoot?
I am not sure I could murder a rabbit jamming out to AC DC.

Latest posts

Back