Bark Up Or Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How do you guys stack your firewood, bark side up or bark side down? Or do you just throw it in whichever way and don't worry about it. I guess if it's under cover it really does'nt matter but I've heard reasons for both ways. Bark side up protects from water, and bark side down exposes more of the wood for drying. Personally I stack bark side up because it seems to fit together a little better.

:hmm3grin2orange:
Kk, I'll tackle this pressin' dilemma with what I do. If it is stacked outside and not covered I try to place the bark up on the last three or so rows to help keep da rain off the rest. If its under cover I'll stack it however it fits best but if its on the ground the bark goes down on the first row, no reasoning 'cept when the bark falls off the wood is reletively clean of dirt. Idealy the wood is aged enough the bark falls off and that is quick heat stuff stacked elsewhere or chucked on the firepit. As for whether it helps dry it quicker, hm, patience ma man, takes at least 4-8 months to season anyhow so don't matter no how any much.
Hope this solves this pressing question (jk jk, I know this is botherin' ya), happy stacking and don't sweat it eh :)

:cheers:

How do you guys stack your firewood, bark side up or bark side down? Or do you just throw it in whichever way and don't worry about it. I guess if it's under cover it really does'nt matter but I've heard reasons for both ways. Bark side up protects from water, and bark side down exposes more of the wood for drying. Personally I stack bark side up because it seems to fit together a little better.

If the wood fits bark up or bark down I fill the void.
At the top of the pile I try to go bark up. That way I can knock the snow off better.

best fit

I like the best fit method myself.... I got 2 little ones that run around the woodpile sometimes and i like it to be stacked as tight as possible to avoid the "wobbly" stack. then tarp it when the leaves start falling to keep the snow and wet leaves off.

Oh jeesh. For all the years I've been stacking firewood, I never paid any attention at all. Now I'm going to be thinking about it next time I stack. I may have to have a couple extra beers just to calm me down and take my mind off the bark.:hmm3grin2orange: Truthfully, most of my bark falls off when I split. I cut dead trees. Some have no bark on when I fell them.

Bark upwards. It sheds the rain better. If bark is down, it captures the moisture between bark and cambium layers and rots. Cover the pile anyway.

Back