barkless logs and rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crappiemiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ever notice how logs (especially cottonwood) with the bark off will last a lot longer in nature than the ones with bark on them as far as rot is concerned? I see old cottonwood debarked logs on sandbars where I fish and they are dry and hard as can be but in the woods the same cottonwood with the bark on is rotting away?

I wonder if that would come down to the insects helping it decompose in the woods vs less insects along sandbars? I by no means have any knowledge on the matter just my thought. But I'm following because I'd like to hear what people say

Ever notice how logs (especially cottonwood) with the bark off will last a lot longer in nature than the ones with bark on them as far as rot is concerned? I see old cottonwood debarked logs on sandbars where I fish and they are dry and hard as can be but in the woods the same cottonwood with the bark on is rotting away?
The standing dead ash from eab stay good when the bark is off. Cut up when fall. Lots of wood.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I am a big fan of removing bark whenever reasonably possible to shorten drying time and extend storage time. No scientific testing here but I have discarded a lot of wood that was stacked in the round with the bark still on. It rots instead of drying. I can only reason that the bark seals the moisture in while alive and continues to hold moisture in when dead and that promotes decay. I have read that wood will mold at 16% moisture and decay at 20% moisture. Variations of course with different species, climate, and storage location. Standing dead without bark is pretty good storage.

I am a big fan of removing bark whenever reasonably possible to shorten drying time and extend storage time. No scientific testing here but I have discarded a lot of wood that was stacked in the round with the bark still on. It rots instead of drying. I can only reason that the bark seals the moisture in while alive and continues to hold moisture in when dead and that promotes decay. I have read that wood will mold at 16% moisture and decay at 20% moisture. Variations of course with different species, climate, and storage location. Standing dead without bark is pretty good storage.
I split up a bunch of red oak a little while ago that had bark on it 2" thick in some places. The underside of the bark was already getting punky. I knocked it all off before stacking. My assumption has always been that the spongy underside of bark sucks up and holds water.

008.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG bark for thought! you don't see to many log homes with bark on the logs for no reason! peeled, stained and sealed do preserve the wood logs for sure! old timers just peeled and built with what they had ! silver shaded logs with timeless age and solid as a rock(off the bare ground that is)! these pics are of red oak dead standing dry bark less(for the most part) with some still clinging by knots . age of these as far as dead is 5 years plus! SOLID AS A ROCK!

Having mostly aspen and birch in my woods I don't have the luxury of standing dead as both of those species rot quickly. Sometimes you will find a red maple with bark off that is dry as a bone and those will last a long time. Same for pin oak. That stuff lasts forever.

Up where we camp in the canoe area I have found old chunks of cedar cribbing washed up on the rocks. The last cabin site on that lake was dismantled in 1986 and the others were all taken out in the 1950's. That stuff lasts absolutely forever as long as it's not sitting in the dirt.

I am working on a salvage project where as I started with 80 piles of logs. About 20% is Oak and 80% Pine. Most of the trees died 10 years ago. Almost without exception the logs with bark are usually 80% to 100% dry rotted. Two weeks ago I cut for a solid week and found only one log out of about 30 that had any dry rot at all. The Oak that is actually touching the ground is starting to rot, but the wood that is a few inches above ground with bark is perfect. Most of the larger Pine logs that are laying on the ground without bark are rotting around outside, but the inside 20'' to 30'' are solid as can be. Thanks

View attachment 537872 View attachment 537872 View attachment 537873 View attachment 537874 bark for thought! you don't see to many log homes with bark on the logs for no reason! peeled, stained and sealed do preserve the wood logs for sure! old timers just peeled and built with what they had ! silver shaded logs with timeless age and solid as a rock(off the bare ground that is)! these pics are of red oak dead standing dry bark less(for the most part) with some still clinging by knots . age of these as far as dead is 5 years plus! SOLID AS A ROCK!

Nice job in your stacking. You could consider side boards and maybe get an extra few pieces, but your truck could not handle too much more of a load. I added one more leaf to the overloads, just keeps the truck from sagging with a decent load. But you are doing Ok without unless you spill a few pieces when you hit a bump. Thanks

This house was built in the 1930's with Tulip Poplar, with the bark on. Folks that live in it say it's a bit drafty, but love it. In the Washington D.C. area, very wet and humid. Bark is still holding tight, Joe.

This house was built in the 1930's with Tulip Poplar, with the bark on. Folks that live in it say it's a bit drafty, but love it. In the Washington D.C. area, very wet and humid. Bark is still holding tight, Joe.

I have a deer stand and the ladder is made of diamond willow (don't ask, it was all that was available (no diamonds in this stuff anyhow). Built in '96 and still solid as can be.

View attachment 537872 View attachment 537872 View attachment 537873 View attachment 537874 bark for thought! you don't see to many log homes with bark on the logs for no reason! peeled, stained and sealed do preserve the wood logs for sure! old timers just peeled and built with what they had ! silver shaded logs with timeless age and solid as a rock(off the bare ground that is)! these pics are of red oak dead standing dry bark less(for the most part) with some still clinging by knots . age of these as far as dead is 5 years plus! SOLID AS A ROCK!
Heavy springs on the ol Ford? Nice load!

Heavy springs on the ol Ford? Nice load!

1 on the main springs, so not to change the pinion angle or ride comfort . 2 on the over load springs that don't contact till over half a cord is loaded . the load shown here made a full 24'x4l of 16"/18" split an stacked with 2 = 7 cubic foot wheel barrels extra......all loaded on master craft 6 ply 235/75r 15" all season @ 55#..

the bark of a tree is a membrane that holds the moisture. loose the bark and the tree will die but wont rot. if I have to store logs for any amount of time I always score the bark (cut out a strip of bark, the length of the log) to break it up and prevent the wood from rotting. if its oak or a hard wood that score helps the rest of the bark to fall off.

Latest posts

Back