Barn Find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOODSMAN416

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found this in a barn today. The motor is free and has compression. The recoil starter is seized up. The chain oiler works and everything seems to be there ecept the air filter cover. Should be a fun project.

I bet that thing smokes like a freight train with that much oil, firewood cutter and pest repellent all in one. :msp_biggrin:

I bet that thing smokes like a freight train with that much oil, firewood cutter and pest repellent all in one. :msp_biggrin:

I was thinking the same thing :laugh: one time a guy brought me an 08s to get running for him. He even brought his own fresh mix. After carb rebuild went to go put gas in and thought damn thats some sludgy gas. It did smell fresh though so i used it. Went out to my test log and that thing smoked so bad it was insane. Smelled like a car severely burning oil. Within one cut my whole back yard was just smoked right out. Didn't smell good like 2 stroke either. Smelled like a dirty nasty oil burning four stroke. That saw should be a really cool project for you though. Neat to see those old saws run.

I was thinking the same thing :laugh: one time a guy brought me an 08s to get running for him. He even brought his own fresh mix. After carb rebuild went to go put gas in and thought damn thats some sludgy gas. It did smell fresh though so i used it. Went out to my test log and that thing smoked so bad it was insane. Smelled like a car severely burning oil. Within one cut my whole back yard was just smoked right out. Didn't smell good like 2 stroke either. Smelled like a dirty nasty oil burning four stroke. That saw should be a really cool project for you though. Neat to see those old saws run.

Betcha he uses motor oil for mix.............................and probably USED motor oil at that.:popcorn:

Did you take note of the type of oil that was listed to use? 30w

I have one of those saws.

Yah non detergent at that, wonder if you can even still find that stuff, last time I saw a quart of that was when my neighbor bought an old 8n ford tractor with a quart underneath the hood

Yah non detergent at that, wonder if you can even still find that stuff, last time I saw a quart of that was when my neighbor bought an old 8n ford tractor with a quart underneath the hood

I *think* you can still get quarts of 30 weight non detergent sold as small engine/lawnmower oil.

Id say thats the reason why, they probably have to jack up the price to justify still keeping it on the shelves in some places.

I took the starter apart last night. Cleaned everything and lubed it up. reassmbled it this morning with a new rope. I'll remount it on the saw later and see if I have spark.

looks like a 758g to me somewhere in the mid 60's weighs about 27lbs with bar on and 5.8 c.i.
3/4 pint of oil to 1 gal of gas
cool find

sorry I have to take it back I didn't notice that the gas and oil caps were side by side the 758 is front to back on the tanks

Last edited:
looks like a 758g to me somewhere in the mid 60's weighs about 27lbs with bar on and 5.8 c.i.
3/4 pint of oil to 1 gal of gas
cool find

sorry I have to take it back I didn't notice that the gas and oil caps were side by side the 758 is front to back on the tanks

There's a tag on the front above the bar that says 647G.

I mounted the starter and I have good spark! I'll get some oil today and see if it runs today or tomorrow.

While cleaning it up, I found a lot of oxidized aluminum on the bottom of the saw. In fact, the gear case has some holes corroded through. When i take it a part I'll see how bad it is.

SAE 30 non-detergent available at your local NAPA store. Same price as regular SAE 30. I buy it for pressure washer pump and air compressors. Locally getting it at $3.99 a bottle when buying a case.

Back