Base gasket delete worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Shindaiwa 577P that I love using. Has good power for purpose etc.
Just for chits and giggles I measured the squish through the spark plug hole with .060" solder and it barely even touched, let alone crush the solder.

The base gasket is .020". Will it be worth taking the gasket out still to have .040"+ squish? Is there likely to be a compression increase or does it need to be around the 020" in squish to achieve that?

Cheers,

Tom.

Delete it, but @J D has a good point. I use thin solder (maybe .030?) and use 4 small pieces at the edge of the piston, 90* apart. I use a dab of grease to hold the solder in place.

If you really do have .060" clearance, I'd delete and measure again.

I use Loctite sealant but there are a few other options, too.

Delete it, but @J D has a good point. I use thin solder (maybe .030?) and use 4 small pieces at the edge of the piston, 90* apart. I use a dab of grease to hold the solder in place.

If you really do have .060" clearance, I'd delete and measure again.

I use Loctite sealant but there are a few other options, too.
Hi,

I measured in multiple different places all around the cylinder. There was barely any contact anywhere.

I ended up pulling the cylinder and the gasket in there crumbled into several pieces. Cleaned it up and added permatex anaerobic gasket maker 518. Keen to see how it turns out. It now measures around .039.

Cheers for all the replies.

Tom.

Latest posts

Back