Baseboard Heat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone hear use the hydronic baseboards with their OWBs.I'm seriously considering installing these in my house and plumbing the OWB thru them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_33656-33978-HB-750-A5_0_?productId=3134225&Ntt=hydronic heat&Ntk=i_products&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?storeNumber=0245$ipTrail=67.140.175.91$newSearch=true$Ntt=hydronic heat$selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@44348f04]$errorURL=UserAccountView

If they work like I think they should the only electric cost would be the cost to run the pump on the OWB.

I do not have an OWB, but I do have baseboard heat. It is okay, but I wish the previous owners had left the antique radiators in the house.

The baseboards disperse the heat thru the room nicely, but end up with dusty streaks above on the wall. This is from the heat rising thru them and depositing the dust in the air there. This isn't a clean weekly, but more so over the course of time.
M

I do not have an OWB, but I do have baseboard heat. It is okay, but I wish the previous owners had left the antique radiators in the house.

The baseboards disperse the heat thru the room nicely, but end up with dusty streaks above on the wall. This is from the heat rising thru them and depositing the dust in the air there. This isn't a clean weekly, but more so over the course of time.
M

I've not ever had that issue...baseboard heat for the last 6 years.

I've had baseboard heat in my houses all my life, and never had a problem with them. Occasionally, you should suck out the dust with a vacuum cleaner, but besides that, they are very reliable.

I grew up with them

The old farm house I grew up in had them with an oil boiler. I would think that they would work the same with a wood boiler. They were a very even heat. Not the high and low of forced air. You did not have all the blower noise of forced air. I wish I had them now, and if I had an outdoor wood boiler I would put them in.

baseboard versus converted radiators

Does anyone hear use the hydronic baseboards with their OWBs.I'm seriously considering installing these in my house and plumbing the OWB thru them.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_33656-33978-HB-750-A5_0_?productId=3134225&Ntt=hydronic heat&Ntk=i_products&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s?storeNumber=0245$ipTrail=67.140.175.91$newSearch=true$Ntt=hydronic heat$selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean@44348f04]$errorURL=UserAccountView

If they work like I think they should the only electric cost would be the cost to run the pump on the OWB.

====================================================================================================

I have baseboard heat and I hate it as it is an energy waster
in an old house that is poorly insulated or well insulated home as the heat is on the outside walls and under the windows.

The converted steam to water radiators allow you to regulate the temperature in each room with a manually controlled radiator mounted temperature valve.

A very small radiator will go along way to heating one or more rooms or zones quickly.

If you have only one pump you have no temperature control short of covering the lower exposed base of the baseboard which stops air flow and cancels the convection of the baseboard in one particular room or area.

The other thing is cost as it is not a cost effective as a converted steam radiator plus it takes up a lot of square feet as it has to be run on the outside walls to plumb them which is PIA as the piping may have to transiton under and back up to the run (been there done that Hate it)

Thiers nothing saying you cannot use one pump and a solenoid valve bank set up to feed water to the radiators and have separate returns either.

leon:cheers::givebeer:

Last edited:
like kingsley said pretty much trouble free just keep the fins around the pipe sucked out with a vacuum and no problems hope this helps

don't know much about owb. By plumbing through these hydronic heaters, do you mean that there is a boiler or hot water system and circulating pumps associated with the OWB? That's serious hardware.

The liquid in the hydronic baseboard tends to be oil btw., and they are not really designed for any sort of pressure, pretty light weight. I have used them on remodel installs and am generally pleased with the quality, used as designed{'soft-heat' is a brand I'm thinking of) - I do typically add a low voltage transformer and low volt thermostat though.

If you want to feed a radiant heater with your OWB, I'd look at salvaged cast iron radiators. Lot's of mass for a gentle heating curve (?) Though again, I'm speaking of a boiler or hot water circulating system that is separate from your potable water.

k..I'm assuming you are looking at circulating hot water for your heat transfer. You can plumb these systems with pex. The appliances can be any number of options. The level of complexity, variable as well. Picture at least: a closed loop system with a circulating pump and control valve. add if you like, zones, thermostats, valves and relays. Said simply, and doable, but it does take an investment. I'm fairly fresh off a large multi-zone install for a bio-diesel operation with a friend.. And there are bound to be boiler techs on this board.

hot water baseboard is very good heat. you are going to need a load calculation on your home to be sure you have enough radiation in each room. if you decide to use cast radiators make sure you know how to size them to measure the btu output of the radiator. nothing worse than to buy a bunch of radiators and find out you bought the wrong size and won't heat your house properly. keep us informed here, harold

Thanks for all the input,it answered a lot of my questions.As mentioned I have given the idea some serious thought.As for cost,unless I really missing something, shouldn't be that great.the baseboard heater in the link in my original post is 4 ft long and only cost $29 dollars at lowes and would require about 40 ft of pex for the entire install.I already have the lines run to the house and have a second pump ready to install on the OWB

Also I'm only planning on using four,my home is 3200 sq ft two story that I built in 2001.It is very well insulated .I have my OWB hooked into my downstairs forced air unit.My plan for the baseboard heaters is for two bedrooms and two baths upstairs that tend to get cold.with the design of my house I can put the heaters on an inside wall and hooking the pex to them will be a very simple job.

Before anyone ask,using a heater exchanger in my upstairs forced air unit would require a massive amount of work because of the way the unit is installed.

Last edited:
hot water baseboard is very good heat. you are going to need a load calculation on your home to be sure you have enough radiation in each room. if you decide to use cast radiators make sure you know how to size them to measure the btu output of the radiator. nothing worse than to buy a bunch of radiators and find out you bought the wrong size and won't heat your house properly. keep us informed here, harold

Do a complete heat loss calculation on the house, BB puts out around 600 BTU/ft. @ 180 deg. water temp. Due to the fluctuating supply temps. coming from a wood boiler, you should slightly oversize...

I have baseboard heat and I hate it as it is an energy waster
in an old house that is poorly insulated or well insulated home as the heat is on the outside walls and under the windows.

The converted steam to water radiators allow you to regulate the temperature in each room with a manually controlled radiator mounted temperature valve.

A very small radiator will go along way to heating one or more rooms or zones quickly.

If you have only one pump you have no temperature control short of covering the lower exposed base of the baseboard which stops air flow and cancels the convection of the baseboard in one particular room or area.

The other thing is cost as it is not a cost effective as a converted steam radiator plus it takes up a lot of square feet as it has to be run on the outside walls to plumb them which is PIA as the piping may have to transiton under and back up to the run (been there done that Hate it)

Thiers nothing saying you cannot use one pump and a solenoid valve bank set up to feed water to the radiators and have separate returns either.

leon:cheers::givebeer:

BB a energy waster? Compared to what? Much better than scorched air, my friend...

Also, go to www.heatinghelp.com, buy a couple of their books on hot water heating...Use the primary/secondary method of piping your BB. you can also find specs on virtually any old radiator ever made as well.

if you can, zone your house into two sections: one for the bedrooms and one for the main living space. you only need one pump to do that.

hot water baseboard heat is nice, the only draw back is you don't have the air movement in the house as you would with forced air. ceiling fans are helpful.

there is a big difference between hot water baseboard heat and steam heat.

wood oil boiler

i have been using this set up for 25 years. wood for fall and winter, oil for spr and summer.5to 7 cords most winters.house is 74-75 all winter and endless hot showers.how much better could it be.kenny

Back