Basic Race Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
After almost a year of square grinding and making chain for our little GTG's I wanted to show the decrease in cutting times by doing a few basics to the chain. I started out with a stock Oregon 72LG round ground chisel chain and ground it square with a Silvey Pro Sharp. Rakers are about 20 thou.
The saw is a 372 that I did some muffler work on and raised the exhaust and lowered the intake some and removed the head gasket.
Here's the movie of the basic chain cutting 13 White Polar fresh off the stump. The cut is about 3 seconds exactly.
http://www.youtube.com/?v=tjEhlc9OIDo
John

In this second movie I stoned the sides of the cutters and ground off the protrusion on the front of the raker. Doing this seriously increases the chance of kickback, so I wouldn't do it to cut wood in the bush.
It looks like this has decreased the cutting time by 1/4 of a second. Total time making the chain so far is 2 hr's and one beer. Not breaking Walt Galers record yet.
John
http://www.youtube.com/?v=aRi7pH9bxoY

It looks like YouTube is a good video host. As you can see to the right are movie of the same subject matter by other members such as a fast 2171 of Woodsjunkies.
Anyway, in this last movie I ground off the back of the cutter. The next step is to clean out the chip channel which I will do tomorrow. It looks like 2.5 hrs of work lost me .56 second in cutting time.
John
http://www.youtube.com/?v=nevrj_KJFiA

Gypo Logger}It looks like 2.5 hrs of work lost me .56 second in cutting time. John [url said:
http://www.youtube.com/?v=nevrj_KJFiA[/url]

So what you are saying is the stock chain was faster.....?

Unless I got the movies in the wrong order, the stock chain took 1/2 sec longer to cut the same wood. meaning the finished chain cut it in .5 sec less time.
It doesn't sound like much, but my work chains are real fast to begin with lol
John

Nice find on UTube, John!!! Wow, 100 mb limit. Boy am i gonna have fun...Be sure to keep an eye out for oodles of awesome stuff as i get the time.

I just sent 3 white pine to the mill, 5600 bf!!! up to 152 feet tall, 44 yards of chips; they were each within 20 feet of the house.....only $400 per mbf, but add the $2k cash from the client, and that is an adequate 2 days work...but it'll take a while to clean three ropes and a flip line of copious amounts of pitch.

Oh nice work on the chain and saw...Ed now has 4 saws of mine to mod!!! a second 346 to add to the one from you..that still is a screamin' meanie, and 2 372's, that should humble the Walkerized one that you attempted to sodomize....thankfully attempt was the operative woid.... :rolleyes: :p :cool:

Here's a teaser, Eli, a youngster of 27, who I trained, who now has his own business, and landed this 10,000 bf crane job...biggest pick 16000 lb at 65 feet away.

Last edited:
Hi Roger, I'm glad you are having some real good Red Letter Days!. Wow, that is some real big wood, can't wait to see the movies. 400/ thou is good. Oak and Ash are even lower then that, but Maple and Cherry still hot.
Saw's are good, Ask Ed to make a pipe for your 346 so you can show off from the treetops and customers backyard. Be the firstin a tree with a piped saw Roger. They won't run hot or blow up on you if not too lean. They make neat smoke from the stinger when a bit rich. I want a movie of Roger in a tree with a piped 346!
John

BTW, with regard to YouTube, if you fill in the Tag terms as descriptive as possible then similar movies can be viewed back to back. I used the terms Chainsaw, Chainsaws and Logging. Chainsaw seems to be the word that gets twigged to. I even noticed the pred is in there.
John

Just curious, why wouldn't you start with square chisel since that is what you wanted to end up with anyway? I didn't even know you could make round chisel square, I knew you could round file square chisel...but not the other way!

John, I've been kinda wanting a piped saw, that sounds like a plan, Stan!!! Note I edited my post!
also look out for a pic/post of what damage a splitting maul does to a chipper.....major ouch...swear words were heard for miles around today... :blob5:

Hi JD, it is very easy to convert LG to CL. CL is square ground chain, but harder to find, although try Klickitatsacket, I bought 100 ft off him at a good price.
John

Gypo Logger said:
I just saw it, I think it's Mike Maas no doubt.
John

Ahhh soooooo Massa-wan,you say? He takes a lickin and keeps on tickin....

Seen that one before, you think the stage has a false bottom in the hay? I'd hope so, for that poor kamikaze ace's sake. :rolleyes:

Back