BBB vs TCIA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lxt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well both these entities preach about being accredited, both want employee info, your personal info, membership fee`s, & to be involved in your Biz in ways that only a proctological exam would compare to!

A competitor of mine is a BBB member with no tree care knowledge at all, his employees have called me looking for winter work; heres the scoop....none have the experience to be doing what their doing, he pays them $6.50hr under the table & has posted derogatory comments about several Biz`s in the area.

It is not provable it is him posting.....but, we know! So after hearing from many of his employees & hearing them state how bad things are economically & thats all he can afford to pay, etc.. etc... I call the BBB & file complaint!

Well........ seems his BBB membership is no longer any good but he still continues to advertise it in the local news paper classifieds, needless to say he`s in a little trouble! but what I found out is even more troublesome to me:

The BBB tried to get me to be a member....basically they are a dispute resolution center among providing other benies but this is their Bread n butter, If you are not a member with them....... and someone wishes to complain about your work....there is nothing they can do, if you are a member then they get involved!

So I call the TCIA & check into their accreditation system.... both entities basically want the same info, Tcia wants more with auditing powers....the end result.....both are a type of dispute resolution service with one focusing on proper biz practices a little more..........dont pay your membership dues though and shazam.......your no longer Accredited!

what do you guys think?

I would stick to using your own guns. Maybe if everybody that was employeed by the BBB and TCIA gave me ALL of their info and let me audit them...

We considered joining the BBB because of the consumer stigma it has. I wondered just exactly what kind of hoops they made you jump through to become a member besides the outlay of cash.

Honestly though, if you complain to the BBB about a business, my understanding is that would go towards the BBB rating, regardless of whether the business belonged to the BBB or not. (say one day they want to joint the BBB but have a lot of negative feedback on them, it would be a no-go) I
guess there's more to it.

The BBB has "criteria", so if this guy is false advertising his BBB status...ruh roh.

Last edited:
The BBB down here is a do-nothing type organization. Their complaint file system is a joke and everyone down here knows it. You can call on a company that has made the news for poor performance, and their BBB file will be clean, 90% of the time. They exist to sign you up so they can pocket your cash and allow you to put their logo in your advertising. The public at large may think that a BBB logo makes you a better company, but that is just not true, these days, if it ever was.

The BBB down here is a do-nothing type organization. Their complaint file system is a joke and everyone down here knows it. You can call on a company that has made the news for poor performance, and their BBB file will be clean, 90% of the time. They exist to sign you up so they can pocket your cash and allow you to put their logo in your advertising. The public at large may think that a BBB logo makes you a better company, but that is just not true, these days, if it ever was.

It is glue the fly gets stuck in usually early in ones business life. The $275 logo sticker is extravagant. Better ways to spend that money and everyone knows the BBB mbrship has little or no significant recognition.

Just the same I know that every year I am going to get a cryptic message on my service stating that there has been inquiries about my company and will I please respond and address them. I know that when I religiously return the call knowing nothing negative has been leveled against my company that I will have to fight off the membership sales pitch like I do every year.

I am ashamed I was ever dumb enough to waste money on the BBB. But I did. I wish I had it back now. I was a member for several years. What a joke and a scam.

I am ashamed I was ever dumb enough to waste money on the BBB. But I did. I wish I had it back now. I was a member for several years. What a joke and a scam.

Lol. When I first started I got suckered into buying into some jewish newsletter or some :censored:. Not one call. By the time BBB called I was smart enough to avoid that one...seemed pretty obvious they just wanted money.

If you are a legitimate business and operate in a professional manner the BBB may not offer you much. I have not seen the need to be a member of the BBB and they call me every year to try and get me to become a member. As long as no one is calling them to report bad things, then you should not have any problems.

The TCIA on the other hand is a industry specific organization and you will only get out of it what you put into it. I am a member and I feel like it is a bit pricey but I enjoy all the info I get from them and the benefits of membership. You becoming a member has the potential to make your business better. Same with the ISA.

I get a big bang for my membership dues paid to local chamber of commerce groups. Very few tree care companies in this group and you are exposed to other business owners. Lots of free adverstising.

A buddy of mine told me the chamber of commerce helped him alot, as for the BBB its a shame......most people think that a biz with their insignia beside it is the best there is!

I cant wait, the Rep for the BBB that I complained too was highly upset that a biz that let their membership go was still claiming in the newspaper to still being a member! also the next time a home owner asks me about my BBB affiliation im gonna show them the e-mail printout regarding this competitor.

Its one thing like what was said earlier if your "professional" but this guy is a joke to not just tree care services but other contractors as well, he deserves what he gets, flaunting BBB membership & telling customers anyone not a BBB member is an illegal operation......all the while he let his membership expire!

Not to mention the $6.50hr under the table he pays his workers, maybe thats all they`re worth, I cant imagine & told them; "what kinda record are you sporting that someone would only pay you that? & if you`re clean???? why would you work for that?"

scary thing is.......Im willing to bet his workforce is DUI, drug user types, can you imagine?.......yes maam im a BBB member & my workforce is the most elite all with DUI`s & the occasional spoon & lighter break! dont worry about that blunt he`s smoking.......helps him with his fear of heights! LOL

LXT.................

If you give people a forum with which to rate your service there is a good chance they may something that makes you look bad. It may not even be intentional or they could just be looking to flame you cause they feel you charged to much or something stupid like that. Maybe they didn't like you cause you didn't shave or had some dirt on your face.
There is no way I would give anybody that chance, cept here by yous guys of course.

If you give people a forum with which to rate your service there is a good chance they may something that makes you look bad. It may not even be intentional or they could just be looking to flame you cause they feel you charged to much or something stupid like that. Maybe they didn't like you cause you didn't shave or had some dirt on your face.
There is no way I would give anybody that chance, cept here by yous guys of course.

Man, that is kinda sweet and touching Treemandan (in a manly way of course!)

Can't ever rep you cause I always just recently repped you...

If you are a legitimate business and operate in a professional manner the BBB may not offer you much.

They don't offer you anything. They are supposed to clue people in on crooked businesses but they are the biggest scam around. I pride myself on not falling for scams and schemes but like a dumb ass I fell for there load of crap and worse than that I did more than one year. Arghhhh, I can't bear to think about it.

It is glue the fly gets stuck in usually early in ones business life. The $275 logo sticker is extravagant. Better ways to spend that money and everyone knows the BBB mbrship has little or no significant recognition.

Just the same I know that every year I am going to get a cryptic message on my service stating that there has been inquiries about my company and will I please respond and address them. I know that when I religiously return the call knowing nothing negative has been leveled against my company that I will have to fight off the membership sales pitch like I do every year.

Ain't that the truth? Yep. They got me, too. Quite a while back...

:agree2: with all re BBB, but TCIA Accreditation is a whole nother ball of wax. That process will kick your biz to a high level if you can do all the work. Few are willing or able, but all who have done it have raved about the growth they experienced. It has little to do with dispute resolution; where did you get that idea, lxt?

No i do not work for them; not even a member, being a one-man biz.

TCIA Accreditation is a whole nother ball of wax. That process will kick your biz to a high level if you can do all the work. Few are willing or able, but all who have done it have raved about the growth they experienced.

I am a long time TCIA (NAA) member but I had to have my team micro analyze TCIA accreditation. Some fine adjustments could be made to the process and it would fit a lot of industries unrelated to tree care. I don't doubt what you say but we think a company could get just as much good (maybe more) out of hiring a business improvement guru to tighten up and streamline their business. I am looking at that mainly from a how much more money is this going to put in my pocket angle. As far as clients seeking out TCIA accredited companies to do their work, well, hardly anybody even knows what it means.

Last edited:
... we think a company could get just as much good (maybe more) out of a hiring a business improvement guru to tighten up and streamline their business. I am looking at that mainly from a how much more money is this going to put in my pocket angle.
yOUR CALL; DIFFERENT STROKES... but i hear that it makes a difference in ins. premiums.
As far as clients seeking out TCIA accredited companies to do their work, well, hardly anybody even knows what it means.
Those companies that have it make sure that folks know, just as TCIA and others do. It's like arb cert, higher profile in some places than others, but growing...

I can't say too much about other areas but in my rural neck of the woods.....certifications, memberships, affiliations, accredidations, etc. do little for my company. The fact is if there is a company in the next town down the road that can do the same thing as I do, regardless of reputation, skill, knowledge, it is going to be hard for me to compete with them....just on price alone.

My advice, worry about yourself and what you do. Improve where you can and provide great service. A satisfied customer is the best marketing tool for anyone. I think people like me and that is why they keep telling their friends. Have I satisfied everyone....probably not. At the end of the day, advertising is just such a small part of the business. I still try to reach out to new customers everyday. But at the end of the year, nothing beats referrals. My customers could care less if I was a CA or accredidated or whatever.....they like the way I do business.

Why would you care that someone is operating at a lever that is less than professional? Sounds like you have a huge opportunity to sell yourself. People don't want to hear you say how bad the other guy is.....I usually comment on what I can do for them. I tell them I will care for their trees and want to do business with them for a long time.

:agree2: there is no better way to get or retain customers than to do a good job for them!!

Seer, when I called tcia bout accreditation they sent me an info packet & in that packet they make mention about problem resolutions pertaining to customers, along with alot of other things internally within the biz as well as externally too.

personally I don't believe that companies obtaining accreditation are making more money......if that was the case! then everyone would be accredited, it just shows that a company jumped through hoops by a 3rd party entity & they passed! But the bigger picture.......

once accredited always accredited??? NO, you will have to keep your dues up not only as a member but as an accredited affiliate & even if you did this;

90%+ of my customer base doesn't care! seriously! I talk about proper techniques & the advantages of hiring a CA, etc..etc.. BOTTOM LINE....they don't care all they care about is what is beside this $___________

Many on here know how I preached about the CA credential & that I thought it was BS! well.......I decided to get the cert. & see if the bricks on the road turned to gold, they didn't! the CA credential has not improved my Biz & I push the credential hard believed me! what it has done:

enlighten me in new techniques, inform me & in general....if for anything posterity sake! I just see all these certs, accredited biz, memberships, affiliations, etc... as a way for someone to make a living off a trade without having to do any real physical work! I think that is classified as a SCAM!

LXT...........

:agree2: there is no better way to get or retain customers than to do a good job for them!!

Seer, when I called tcia bout accreditation they sent me an info packet & in that packet they make mention about problem resolutions pertaining to customers, along with alot of other things internally within the biz as well as externally too.

personally I don't believe that companies obtaining accreditation are making more money......if that was the case! then everyone would be accredited, it just shows that a company jumped through hoops by a 3rd party entity & they passed! But the bigger picture.......

once accredited always accredited??? NO, you will have to keep your dues up not only as a member but as an accredited affiliate & even if you did this;

90%+ of my customer base doesn't care! seriously! I talk about proper techniques & the advantages of hiring a CA, etc..etc.. BOTTOM LINE....they don't care all they care about is what is beside this $___________

Many on here know how I preached about the CA credential & that I thought it was BS! well.......I decided to get the cert. & see if the bricks on the road turned to gold, they didn't! the CA credential has not improved my Biz & I push the credential hard believed me! what it has done:

enlighten me in new techniques, inform me & in general....if for anything posterity sake! I just see all these certs, accredited biz, memberships, affiliations, etc... as a way for someone to make a living off a trade without having to do any real physical work! I think that is classified as a SCAM!

LXT...........

Oh just go for it already! :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back