BCMA - last minute study tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbutus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, not a regular here, but have this Board Certified Master Arborist test coming up this next week and was wondering if any of you had any last minute study tips? I don't have access or funds to purchase the 30 books that are on their list, but have gone pretty well through the "Arboriculture" book and the ISA CA study guide. ALso have been researching insects & diseases as well as ANSI standards. Any last minute tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey Arbutus

I suspect that you mean ISA Certified Arborist, and not Board Certified Master Arb. That is a different certification altogether.
Sounds like you have covered stuff.
I made the effort to get some of the texts via interlibrary loan when I studied. You don't really need to but it does make the stuff you are learning make way more sense and stick in your head because you are understanding stuff rather than just memorizing.

Good on you, sir or madam! You run with scissors... i bet you eat a sandwich and immediately go swimming. BCMA on the cheap! :msp_scared:

I joined a fantastic group of like minded souls. Each of the interested original members are now BCMA. Study collaboration is extremely helpful.

Good luck and God speed.

Im working up to that myself, getting ready to take the Muni exam, let us know how it goes, and how hard the test is!

Good luck!

Last edited:
BCMA- Questions

Dear All,

Anyone taken BCMA exams which able to share? I'm interested to take it to challenge my knowledge in arboriculture field. There are many subunits that require readings of reference books. Anyone can share how they will test us on?

Is the exams similar to Municipal Arborist and CA Exams?

Thank you.

It is a scenario-based exam on computer. They give you a photo and/or description, then ask questions based on that scenario.

The written exam content is divided into 19 areas of
knowledge:
Science 37%
1. Abiotic Influences 5%
2. Biology 8%
3. Biotic Influences 6%
4. Diagnostic Process 6%
5. Plant Identification and Selection 5%
6. Soil Science 7%
Practice 30%
7. Climbing, Rigging, and Removal 4%
8. Installation Practices 5%