Be Careful Out There

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a fear of mine. Losin the chompers. I always think I'll slip on an oily part of the machine and bite it. I think luck plays a big part in logging. And being weary at all times.

LOL...being wary is very important but being weary is more of a constant. Maybe being wary when you're weary...?

They can hit you hard. A guy I know got a springpole to his nuts. He said the blow knocked him off for a moment. And that it wasn't a happy landing back on earth.

My mom worked at a dentist's office for several years. The would get 4 or 5 loggers per year in to have teeth fixed due to spring poles. The oral surgeon 2 hours west in Marquette got the rest that suffered more damage.

I had a piece of a 1/4" green limb come off of my chain two weeks ago. It hit me square in the middle of my left upper front tooth. I thought the tooth broke at first as it really hurt. It turns out it was just a bruise. It's still a bit tender to the touch.

Sorry about your friend SP. My son Cody lost his two front teeth several years ago screwing around with his cousin and it has been a real pain ever since then. The Marine Corps gave him an implant during boot camp but he broke the veneer off that this past summer. Back in January 1974 I took a spring pole to my helmet just above the brim. It didn't hurt me but it hit me so hard I remember it to this day.

On a less fun note a small dead fall maybe 5-6 inches and 20ft tall shook loose from the vibration of my tree hitting the ground yesterday. It caught the back brim of my hat then my neck and down my back. It was leaned up against another tree and I never saw it. I was about 15ft from the stump of the tree I was cutting. It definetely rang my bell and gave me a reminder for the rest of the day. Im no worse for wear, but the fact that it came out of nowhere freaked the **** out of me.

On a less fun note a small dead fall maybe 5-6 inches and 20ft tall shook loose from the vibration of my tree hitting the ground yesterday. It caught the back brim of my hat then my neck and down my back. It was leaned up against another tree and I never saw it. I was about 15ft from the stump of the tree I was cutting. It definetely rang my bell and gave me a reminder for the rest of the day. Im no worse for wear, but the fact that it came out of nowhere freaked the **** out of me.
wake up call. don't let it happen again. i have had them to, i think its nature's way of shaking you......teaches you to be "wary"

wake up call. don't let it happen again. i have had them to, i think its nature's way of shaking you......teaches you to be "wary"
The weirdest part was that it was totally un-related to the situation. Thats what freaked me out. I had all my bases covered. Escape route, obsevered widow makers, vines, possible catapult trees. I've had snags shake and fall before. Just weird.

years ago i had a big pine snag fall inches behind me. i was topping a tree and heard nothing. dad was on the skidder and freaking out but i couldn't hear him. its just one of them things......but it does make you super aware.

One of my guys took an excavator bucket to the head in September. We were working installing an underground valve system (basically an emergency shutoff) and he was signaling a blind operator, and didn't notice where the bucket was. It crushed the brim on his helmet but he was good.

My personal favorite is closing my head in the service door for an excavator. And it wasn't an old, light one. It was one of the big ones on the E series Cats.

I think a lot of us have close calls. We're not perfect, and accidents will happen, in this industry especially.

I've been whacked pretty hard by a widow maker the left side of my brim and top of the brim were smashed in, I got two teeth broke chipped one and bit the front of my tongue off, got knocked out, and a nasty bruise on my left shoulder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I had one last June. Was working up a tree on a slope below the landing. Saw WOT and muffs on. It was if God tapped me on the shoulder, cause I turned around and looked up and here comes a 30" 33' log rolling down the deck sideways straight at me. I had just enough time to scramble to the side before it rolled right over where I was working. Processor operator had his face in his hands, he was swinging the log and it dropped out of his grapple, Landed sideways on a downsloping deck and took off. He was screaming at me but could do absolutely nothing as I just kept working.
"Wary" is good, but having a BIG daddy upstairs trumps it in my book.

Be safe.

Latest posts

Back