Bee-Line Break Tests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

I respliced my Bee-Line cover so that the two untapered buries met in the middle. After the line had been stressed a bit, and everything had settled down, there was an empty gap in the middle of about 1/4 inch. A careful splicer could taper and overlap the buries to avoid the empty gap.

I gave it a field test today. With the same 5-wrap Schwabisch I used before, the performance was noticeably better during ascent, as the knot was always easy to release. Since the physical properties (friction, roundness, bulk, pliability) of this full-bury all-cover rope approximate those of the factory-supplied rope, one might expect it to work about the same as a knotted e2e made from the factory cord. If this turns out to be true, then this version has a few things to recommend it. It is much easier to make than the standard spliced version; it has none of irritating bulk of the knotted version; and it is simpler than either of the other versions.

It goes without saying that anyone who experiments with this is an experimentalist; the safety or even the utility of this arrangement has not been established.

A cover only beeline e2e....hmmm.....

I'll have to try it. Might be a better use than what I did with the last batch of cover:

attachment.php

Indestructible chew toy.

confused...

Hi my Dear! here I draw some quotations of your text (blue font)

about the isolated CORE spliced with Brummel - (the presence of a whipping seems to significantly weaken it.)

About the CORE spliced with Brummel and whipped with cover (Does the Brummel assist the splice in some way? No. However the whipping at the throat, which included some through stitches, definitely does.)

The probable reason of the different results is because the stitched cover when squeeze puts more pressure upon the buried core, thus prevent it from slip at weaker forces?
thanks

cesar

...The probable reason of the different results is because the stitched cover when squeeze puts more pressure upon the buried core, thus prevent it from slip at weaker forces?

Cesar, yes, that's right. The stitching guarantees there is pressure and thus friction between cover and core even with no load. Another way to think if it is that whenever tension is applied, both cover and core will have to share it. Tension in the cover means friction against the core.

Latest posts

Back