Beefing Up a saw, squeezing more power out of it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
send it to one of the porters on this site.

i'm new here. how do we find said porters?? i have an MS270 that i bought because of it's weight and my back.(weight=low, my back=bad) i like the power it has stock, but i would LOVE to have about 4hp. that power to weight ratio would be killer.

i'm new here. how do we find said porters?? i have an MS270 that i bought because of it's weight and my back.(weight=low, my back=bad) i like the power it has stock, but i would LOVE to have about 4hp. that power to weight ratio would be killer.

Sell it and buy a Dolmar 5100 before they're gone..........:buttkick:

Blsnelling and Tree Sling'r do porting, probably more

Send them a PM and look around for there threads.

Last edited:
Learning how to sharpen a chain properly will net the user far more benefit than paying to port (to the extent one can do that) a clamshell crankcase homeowner chainsaw.

MS250 and MS270 saws are good for what they are. Nothing to knock about them, but they make a piss-poor platform for extracting major performance gains. Open up the muffler and call it good.

Learning how to sharpen a chain properly will net the user far more benefit than paying to port (to the extent one can do that) a clamshell crankcase homeowner chainsaw.

MS250 and MS270 saws are good for what they are. Nothing to knock about them, but they make a piss-poor platform for extracting major performance gains. Open up the muffler and call it good.

:cheers:

Hey look another thread about knocking the 025 :deadhorse: :sucks:

I am not knocking the MS250 I own one and love it. I was simply asking what you were suggesting. I want more power out of my saw and so I am researching the forum for ideas. It is fairly new runs great, nice and lightweight but lacks a little power for me.

What are you doing up so late its allmost 4AM here,

Carl

I am not knocking the MS250 I own one and love it. I was simply asking what you were suggesting. I want more power out of my saw and so I am researching the forum for ideas. It is fairly new runs great, nice and lightweight but lacks a little power for me.

What are you doing up so late its allmost 4AM here,

Carl

I'm drinking some guinness and playing call of duty modern warfare 2. I just got home from work around 2:30.

I know you wernt knocking them but some people religiously knock them and the same with the poulans. It's ok though that's just the way it is. I love my 025, it's muffler modded and runs better then my friends 026 pro. I actually just ordered a new carb for mine. The walbro wt215. It's a fully adjustable carb and not just the low and idle like some have.

I'm actually considering having mine ported. I think we are gonna do what we can to it and see if this "clamshell" can put a hurting on some "real saws".

I'm drinking some guinness and playing call of duty modern warfare 2. I just got home from work around 2:30.

I know you wernt knocking them but some people religiously knock them and the same with the poulans. It's ok though that's just the way it is. I love my 025, it's muffler modded and runs better then my friends 026 pro. I actually just ordered a new carb for mine. The walbro wt215. It's a fully adjustable carb and not just the low and idle like some have.

I'm actually considering having mine ported. I think we are gonna do what we can to it and see if this "clamshell" can put a hurting on some "real saws".

Mine is fully adjustable now, I simply ground off the plastic limiter with a dremel it was a 5 minute job, easy. Who are you looking at for porting and how much?

Carl

What does 4 stroking sound like, I keep hearing that phrase but not sure what it means. Making a 2 stroke sound like a 4??

How did you open the muffler up and how did you go about porting it??

There's tons of photos on how to port a muffler. I've never had to weld/braze anything on mine, but it's all in how you appoach it and what you want it to look like. Your choice, but DO IT!

As for the 4-stroke vs. 2 stroke sound watch this vid. You can clearly hear my 372 alter between a "burble" and a "buzz" early in the cut. The "burble" is the 4-stroke. Under load like this a 2-stroke buzz is fine. Actually, I probably had the saw too rich in this vid. Under no load a full 2-stroke buzz for more than a second or two would be expensive.

Hope this helps and good luck!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y5wqdcbzmjs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y5wqdcbzmjs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back