Been bad this year.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have always planned on getting as much if not more wood each year than I burn. Well, new job and circumstances, along with what seems like a wedding or birthday every weekend has produced a whole cord and a half. That leaves me to get 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 cord before the snow flies. Which is supposed to be real early this year. I have plenty of wood so it's not a big deal, but with wood heat getting VERY popular around here it may be a bigger deal than I think. Fortunately I have a place to cut, but haven't done it yet. Was told I have all the time in the world, but if I don't show my face soon it may be to late, if it isn't already. When wood is your only form of heat you shouldn't be lax, shame on me!

I know what you mean. I have a place like that I stopped by 2 wks ago and told them I haven't forgotten about the trees just been busy. I feel bad but seems like there is always something I have to do come the weekend that prevents me from cutting lately.

Yeah, it's hard to look at burning wood in July. Everyone procrastinates to some degree, you aren't alone my friend. Unfortunately it doesn't help much come January.

Your best bet, this late in the year, is to go for dead standing and ash. But of course, you already knew that.:D

10 lashes with a wet noodle for you! :D

Meh, it happens, not a big deal when you are that far ahead. I had a local farmer that was letting me cut all the stuff that was left behind (a lot) from a 7 acre clear cut. I was goin as fast as a 1 man show can, got quite a bit of wood out of there, maybe 5-6 cords, but I lost the chance to get more when he bulldozed and burnt a large barn size pile while we were on summer vacation. I guess I should have borrowed some equipment and pulled whole logs out of there instead of cutting to length and stacking. I'm 3 years ahead so not a big deal, but all these farmers getting rid of all trees on their land and the increase in the # of wood burners does make me a lil nervous.

Don't get me wrong, I am many years ahead, 4 or 5 if this cold snap keeps up. But I want to stay that way and as each year passes be a little more ahead. I am always worried about when the other shoe drops.

On my end I am having trouble finding time to cut what I want to cut. I figure I am 2 yrs. ahead, but want more. The honey do list is long and I am trying to finish roofing my parents this week after work. Tha ash trees can wait, but i have oak and shaggy bark I want to get too.

Welcome to my world. Between the wife dragging me off camping every other weekend and weddings, birthdays, grad parties, and what ever else someone can dream up to waste my time I have had very limited time to get cutting this year like I wanted. Never fails too that when I get some time to cut it starts raining.

I have always planned on getting as much if not more wood each year than I burn. Well, new job and circumstances, along with what seems like a wedding or birthday every weekend has produced a whole cord and a half. That leaves me to get 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 cord before the snow flies. Which is supposed to be real early this year. I have plenty of wood so it's not a big deal, but with wood heat getting VERY popular around here it may be a bigger deal than I think. Fortunately I have a place to cut, but haven't done it yet. Was told I have all the time in the world, but if I don't show my face soon it may be to late, if it isn't already. When wood is your only form of heat you shouldn't be lax, shame on me!

Yes!! I scored two good Black Locust groves due to people who asked for them but then never worked at them. Once you get permission, show some progress harvesting the score.

Harry K

Dead standing pine has saved my butt more than once. It pains me to say that, and I will deny it if confronted, but it's ok to tell you guys.:D

Cutting dead standing trees always makes me nervous. When I was a kid, I always watched tree companies and fallers whenever I could. One time while I was watching, I saw a near accident happen. A guy was cutting a dead standing tree, and when it started to go down, a large dead limb broke off and almost hit the guy because the limb came back down in the opposite direction from where the tree was falling. The guy with the saw didn't run back fast enough. A while back, I met a farmer who was even more scared of this happening than I am. When he cuts, he first moves his giant 100 hp tractor up to the tree trunk, and he raises the front end loader bucket up in the air above him to serve as a shield from falling limbs. I told him this was a bad idea, and that if the hydraulics failed, the loader bucket could come down on him. He did this because a good friend of his had been badly hurt and nearly killed by a tree that jackknifed on the guy as it was coming down. Anyhow, he told me he didn't worry about the hydraulics, the tractor had very low hours on it and he trusted his loader bucket more than he did a tree. Also, he figures that the loader bucket up against the trunk would force the tree to go in the direction he wanted. I couldn't talk him out of doing this. If I was that scared, I'd just hire a pro to take it down.

A while back, I met a farmer who was even more scared of this happening than I am. When he cuts, he first moves his giant 100 hp tractor up to the tree trunk, and he raises the front end loader bucket up in the air above him to serve as a shield from falling limbs. I told him this was a bad idea, and that if the hydraulics failed, the loader bucket could come down on him.
Actually that is not a bad idea. Just hafta put the loader up the whole way and then drop the safety lock in, you're not relying on the hydraulics that way

I picked up 28 ash trees at a 77 year old gentleman's mini farm. Place is called shady acres, except 20 of those trees are on the west side of the driveway. Might have to change the name. He comes out with me, and we cut a tree or two.........thats all he asks, avg one a week. Says he doesn't care if I do them all at once in week 28 or keep up like we are. I have had more fun listening to his stories than should be legal.

It is getting harder to score around here. CL ads are onesies and twosies, and not that good when I'm looking. I'm searching for a used stainless steel chimney this year but not much being sold. Used stove prices seem higher, too. And with the news about Fred Fuller, it only helps convince people to move to wood.

It is getting harder to score around here. CL ads are onsies and twosies, and not that good when I'm looking. I'm searching for a used stainless steel chimney this year but not much being sold. Used stove prices seem higher, too. And with the news about Fred Fuller, it only helps convince people to move to wood.

What are you looking for? I have delt with a guy that sells used ones dirt cheap.

That's how it seemed every year for a while with me. I always ended up buying wood anyway, so eventually I ended up going back to coal to fill the void. My stove burns both so now I may go 75% coal / 25% wood.
Less pressure to get up the woods and less beating on the body. I brought back the last of my dead fall cutting today for splitting. Time to set up for a coal delivery.

Kevin

I'm typically cutting as I run out, dealing with snow drifts and bitter cold, but this summer I completely filled my wood shed. (@20 cords). I gotta say, I like the summer cutting; dryer, long days, can see the dead trees from a mile away, kids not playing sports ever weekend etc. Yea ya use some bug spray, at least till ya fire up a ported saw running 32-1 mix.:).

Latest posts

Back