Been gone for several weeks..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Screwed up and made Chief Petty Officer this year..so six weeks of fun and games..and a shiny pair of anchors on my collar..anchors I am proud to wear, as they have been to war with one of the best....

on the fun side...buddy of mine hit me up today and asked if i wanted some old wood working tools..sure...figured it was some old planes or handsaws..

nuh-uh...18" powermatic bandsaw...16"x12" powermatic planer...8" R. Delta jointer, 8" R.Delta belt/disc sander, and a 48" Delta lathe...cast iron..all of it.

for the cost of the fuel to haul it.

it's like winning the lottery...I think I think i'll have to build a bigger shop..:yoyo:

That bandsaw will be a kick ass resaw...12" deep by 18 at the throat...jeeez...

doncha hate me?:biggrinbounce2:

Screwed up and made Chief Petty Officer this year..so six weeks of fun and games..and a shiny pair of anchors on my collar..anchors I am proud to wear, as they have been to war with one of the best....

Congratulations, The best I did was E8.

on the fun side...buddy of mine hit me up today and asked if i wanted some old wood working tools..sure...figured it was some old planes or handsaws..

nuh-uh...18" powermatic bandsaw...16"x12" powermatic planer...8" R. Delta jointer, 8" R.Delta belt/disc sander, and a 48" Delta lathe...cast iron..all of it.

for the cost of the fuel to haul it

Wow! I have been wanting a lathe. I am saving for it and it should be in my shop by winter.

Andy

You can never have enough tools. I bet that was the best gas money you ever spent. More importantly, congratulations on moving up the e-scale.

Thanks guys....it definetly a different world in the khakis.

heh..my wife is pretty enthusistic about building a shop now, she wants a refinishing studio....;)

Those should all be older tools, and that's a good thing! I have some of the same tools, and they have been good to me!

I hope you will put them to work and keep them in good condition, because if you do, they will last you the rest of you life!!

Congrats to you, and i hope you can do something BIG for your friend in return!!

Rob

Congrats on your promotion. Now all you need is time to play with all those tools. Sounds like you're all ready to go with that list of tools, you have all the basics. Bigger shop? ...don't know how big yours is now, but yes for what is listed there, you will need at LEAST a 20x30 shop area if you want at least 8 ft of infeed and outfeed room for table saw, planer, bandsaw and jointer. Even then you will need to fiddle with placement to make sure that happens. As you know, those 4 tools just mentioned are what you need to go from a twisted up piece of rough lumber you milled, stickered and dried into finished S4S lumber. General flow is bandsaw (if board is more than 8 inches wide) then jointer (one good surface and one good edge), then planer (second surface), then table saw (rip to width).

good luck

Last edited:
Those should all be older tools, and that's a good thing! I have some of the same tools, and they have been good to me!

I hope you will put them to work and keep them in good condition, because if you do, they will last you the rest of you life!!

Congrats to you, and i hope you can do something BIG for your friend in return!!

Rob

they are...picked up an extra 6"jointer too...gonna give it to another buddy...

He's got a standing offer for a free custom paint job on his bike...

Congrats on your promotion. Now all you need is time to play with all those tools. Sounds like you're all ready to go with that list of tools, you have all the basics. Bigger shop? ...don't know how big yours is now, but yes for what is listed there, you will need at LEAST a 20x30 shop area if you want at least 8 ft of infeed and outfeed room for table saw, planer, bandsaw and jointer. Even then you will need to fiddle with placement to make sure that happens. As you know, those 4 tools just mentioned are what you need to go from a twisted up piece of rough lumber you milled, stickered and dried into finished S4S lumber. General flow is bandsaw (if board is more than 8 inches wide) then jointer (one good surface and one good edge), then planer (second surface), then table saw (rip to width).

good luck

i'm planning the shop to be 30x40...I've got enough tools that I could easily
begin doing cabinetry...rigid table saw (american cast iron) rigid 14" band saw (same deal) all the above,plus a whole host of bench top tools...plus a
small chinese metal lathe and mill....I have tools for DAYS..

did I mention the blacksmith stuff? gonna be fun when i retire..:rock:

all I need now is one more chainsaw...:D

I got discharged with "not suitable for farther military service" Stamped on my DD214.:D.....that may be one of the best days of my life.

I got discharged with "not suitable for farther military service" Stamped on my DD214.:D.....that may be one of the best days of my life.

The best day of my life was when I got my 214 for 23 yrs of service. The second best day was when I got my NEW hydraulic band mill!

gottem all home yesterday...gotta figure out how to get 'em off the trailer<G>

I guess I'm gonna set some of them up to use in a temporary fashion until
I can get a shop built...but at least I have them.

for the cost of the fuel to haul it.

it's like winning the lottery...I think I think i'll have to build a bigger shop..:yoyo:

That bandsaw will be a kick ass resaw...12" deep by 18 at the throat...jeeez...

doncha hate me?:biggrinbounce2:

Congrats on the CPO and tools!:rock:

Latest posts

Back