Been riding Navy ships lately and not forgot you guys... Weedeatman Randy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haven't forgot you guys... but haven't been around lately to speak of. For those that don't know, I work a pretty specialized job riding ships for the US Navy and teach electronic navigation for a real job. When the fleet needs help, I go and lately I've been gone and haven't had any time to do much of anything but support our troops.

Henry is around if you need help or an email will get a delayed response from me.

Sugi bars are in as of today/yesterday.

I'll be in town only until early next week and will be gone again for another couple weeks... they want me in Japan by Wednesday of next week and I'm taking a couple days off. Kind of miss you guys, but the need to take care of sailors over sea's is my priority... they took care of me for 24 years, my turn to pay a little back!

Randy

Hey Randy, I would like to read a little bit more in depth of what you do if you could indulge. Thank you.

And they fly planes. The daughter of a very good friend of mine lost her life in an attempted landing on the Enterprise in November, 1998.
Unfortunately, it happens all the time. My division officer went in on a cat shot a month after I left the old Roosevelt, CVA-42.
I wish I would have went back in after college and went to flight school. I was very qualified. But I may have ended up at the bottom of the ocean. But it would have been a hoot to fly jets.

My 96 year old uncle passed away last week, he flew P-47's and P-51's in WWII. He led his Fighter Group in kills (13.5) and went on to command the New Jersey Air National Guard. He was scheduled to receive his Congressional Gold Medal on May 20th. My cousin followed in his footsteps and after his Air Force service he flew commercially for American Airlines before hitting mandatory retirement age several years ago.

Unfortunately, it happens all the time. My division officer went in on a cat shot a month after I left the old Roosevelt, CVA-42.
I wish I would have went back in after college and went to flight school. I was very qualified. But I may have ended up at the bottom of the ocean. But it would have been a hoot to fly jets.

I wanted to enlist after HS in 1974 and did well on the initial testing. I wanted to fly (pretty much anything), but was too tall and wore glasses. The recruiting officer wanted me to go into nuclear medicine ....

Sure.
I retired in 2007 having been a submarine sailor and specialized in electronic navigation. In 1995 I helped develop the first computer programs the navy used to position the ship. It used an electronic chart (map) of the ocean, GPS for the latitude and longitude of the ship and then center the ship is the middle as the ship moved, it would move the map to always keep the ship in the middle. Later development s added other things like Automatic Identification System, radar and multiple position sensors and improved accuracies. Unfortunately they really never improved training. In about 2006 they started installing theses systems, personnel with the knowledge to teach were scarce because of the way the navy works. A sailor only spends about 3-5 years on a ship and then moves to another job. That left sailors to teach this system without a good knowledge base to teach from.... I was contacted by the Navy to implement a schoolhouse approach to basic operators course's and advanced instructions aboard ships. I also install, repair and train each crew before certification on the system. Each ship goes thru a process to become fully certified to use electronic charting over the course of a year before they are allowed to be paperless. It's a big deal to get rid of something they have done for hundreds of years.... use a paper chart.

The mindset is different, equipment they've never used and the sailors that navigate are not really computer literate. They don't trust it because they weren't trained that way and if you don't understand, not easy to buy into a computer doing your job... on top of that they think they will be replaced by it someday.

After the install, I teach them how to fix it and operate the system. Walk thru certification with them, ride each ship several times helping them gain confidence and even train the people who certify the ships and equipment. I give seminars in navy ports on the system, how everything works and then provide hands on training on each ship. I'm considered the leading expert in this field by the navy and have ridden every ship in the fleet.

I still do new system installs and do upgrades to the systems pretty continuous, each engineer that is hired spends some time with me doing these. I give advise on new features, how the program really works and help design bug fixes. We're always trying to improve the system by me trying to break it..... I get paid to break it, they get paid to fix it and I teach sailors how to use it and fix it when broken. I teach 14 different versions of the system on 27 different configurations of ships.

Hired a couple guys to help me, they are in the process of learning how it works, they each teach one version. Hopefully I can slow down soon before life passes me by. But like before, the navy did a lot for me, I've got some years to give back before I'm to old to keep going, I'm 52 in July.

I like to fix saws in my spare time and come here to talk about saws. I've been fixing saws now about 40+ years and always on my mind... maybe it's the woods and outdoors that I love.. even sharpening a saw is relaxing to me, the sound of the file over the steel.

Randy

Latest posts

Back