Beetles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Bowler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live in the Southwest of New Mexico. There are thousands of standing dead trees. Maybe even Millions.
I have seen/reviewed multiple "insecticides" being advertised to stop infestations. In the 1980's California lost Monterey Pine Trees. There were a few "insecticides" that were supposed to stop the loss. 1990's California experienced SOD. Sudden Oak Death. All kinds of "kooky solutions." One was wrapping the Oak with electric blankets. In my opinion everything was related to "Climate Change." Anyway, my girlfriend has asked me to purchase a "Cure" to protect our trees-@ 200 Pondarosa, Pinion and Junipers from an infestation.
Does anyone have any experience/information regarding a product that works? Or is it just another BS sales event?

There are a number of different systemic insecticides. 200 trees, unfortunately, will be quite expensive.

If my understanding is correct, ips beetles, which attack pines, are native and pines have natural defenses against them. The trees will become more susceptible due to stress, which weakens their natural defenses.

The biggest stressor is going to be drought. If there is a practical way to regularly water 200 trees, that will do a lot to keep your trees from succumbing to bark beetles.

There are a number of different systemic insecticides. 200 trees, unfortunately, will be quite expensive.

If my understanding is correct, ips beetles, which attack pines, are native and pines have natural defenses against them. The trees will become more susceptible due to stress, which weakens their natural defenses.

The biggest stressor is going to be drought. If there is a practical way to regularly water 200 trees, that will do a lot to keep your trees from succumbing to bark beetles.
Lucky for us, this year, "The Monsoon Came." Unfortunately, 5 years late. I have a Well. 21 Acres too. Anyway, have you heard or read any articles regarding some way of "managing" this natural event?

The southern pine beetles are getting worse here in florida, they are like a plague.. I believe it's due to over planting a single species instead of a diverse forest. I read that spraying the base up to 4 feet up the trunk with carbaryl soaking it. Apparently they climb the trees from the base upwards getting under the bark feeding then laying eggs that hatch into larva that end up girdling the tree killing it.

I think you need to better identify your suspected problem before you consider a treatment plan. There are apparently many different beetles operating in California; I have no experience with any of them. :crazy:

That being said, I think this covers the topic fairly well: http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7421.html

"California now has 20 invasive species of bark beetles, of which 10 species have been discovered since 2002. The biology of these new invaders is poorly understood. For more information on these new species, including illustrations to help you identify them, see the USDA Forest Service pamphlet, Invasive Bark Beetles"​
"Prevention is the most effective method of managing bark beetles and related wood-boring insects; in most instances it is the only available control. Avoid injuries to roots and trunks, damage and soil compaction during construction activities, and protect trees from sunburn (sunscald) and other abiotic disorders. Irrigation may be important during dry summer months in drought years, especially with tree species that are native to regions where summer rain is common. Also, dense stands of susceptible trees should be thinned (complete removal of some of the trees) to increase the remaining trees’ vigor and ability to withstand an attack."​
"Irrigate when appropriate around the outer canopy, not near the trunk. Avoid the frequent, shallow type of watering that is often used for lawns. A general recommendation is to irrigate trees infrequently, such as twice a month during drought periods. However, a sufficient amount of water must be used so that the water penetrates deeply into the soil (about 1 foot below the surface). The specific amount and frequency of water needed varies greatly depending on the site, size of the tree, and whether the tree species is adapted to summer drought or regular rainfall."​
And here is the part you probably wanted to hear about:
"Highly valued, uninfested host trees may be protected by spraying their bark with a persistent, registered insecticide labeled as a preventive spray for bark beetles. Look for signs of recent infestation to help decide whether preventive spraying of nearby, lightly attacked or unattacked trees may be justified. Spraying a persistent insecticide on valuable, uninfested host trees near infested trees may be warranted to protect uninfested host trees from bark beetles. However, do not substitute preventive sprays for proper cultural care. The infestation status of a tree can be determined by inspecting the trunk or limbs for fresh pitch tubes or frass; peeling a small portion of the outer bark from the trunk or limbs and looking for signs of adult beetles or larvae; and inspecting the foliage for yellow or yellow-green needles or leaves. Frequently the infestation is diagnosed after the beetles have vacated the tree. For example, when reddish brown foliage is observed the tree is dead and the new generation of bark beetles has already emerged from the tree. Fading foliage throughout the tree crown indicates a dead tree and no insecticide treatment will be effective. Because each bark beetle species attacks only certain tree species, spray only healthy trees that are susceptible to the beetle species attacking nearby trees (for example, pine bark beetles do not attack oaks and oak bark beetles do not attack pines) (Table 1). Insecticide sprays are not recommended against shothole borer and cedar or cypress bark beetles."
On the topic of reducing stress and watering: The reason you keep hearing the importance of reducing stress on the tree by watering is because it involves how the trees actually fights an infestation. When the little bugs burrow through the living parts of the tree, it attempts to drown them in sap. Weak tree, not so much water available? Not enough internal juices to do the job! The bugs can then tunnel and bore, reducing water transport in the tree, and all of a sudden your tree has become a bark borer hotel with free admission and an all you can eat breakfast buffet.

And here's a good reason to stop in uninvited at your GF's place:

"Check your trees for signs of pine bark beetle infestation on a weekly basis. Branches that are infested with beetles are often damaged with wilted or yellowing leaves. Examine the limbs and trunk of the tree for small holes oozing sap. Small chunks of pulped bark on the ground or in the branches is often a sign of bark beetle infestation."​
With all those untimely inspection visits, she's gonna think you are really dedicated to saving those trees! ;)

Highly valued, uninfested host trees may be protected by spraying their bark with a persistent, registered insecticide labeled as a preventive spray for bark beetles.
Not very effective as most bark beetles fly or glide to a host tree. You can see this with the pattern of infestation, often the pattern will follow the prevailing winds at the time the beetles pack their bags and move to another victim.

This is most evident in the case of the Southern Pine Beetle where an infestation reaches dynamic proportion and the infestation can spread by acres a day. The pattern will move with the wind and you can see where the tree was attacked maybe ten feet or more up the trunk of the tree.

The ips beetle attack are more random, a tree here, a tree there, which makes it even harder to control. The problem with the Southern Pine Beetle is catching up with them. By the time the tree browns up the little rascals are maybe acres ahead. We tried spraying with helicopter with little affect, the best prevention was clear-cut ahead of them and starve them out.

What is craze is SPB may occupy a few trees a year without spreading much, then for some reason the population may explode violently. The SPB is a glider and the direction of the wind will be determinant on which way the infestation goes. What we found out is most of these bug events happen after trees were stressed after weather events. When one of these prolific attacks take places one infestation may grow up to 1000 acres or more if not dealt with. The hard part is getting people to understand what is about to happen to their trees when they are in the path of one of these swarms.
Here is what an infestation can look like. We would fly once a week and register any new spots and contact the land owners so they could take action.

images

Not for 200 trees, there is a tree injection system but that is only used around homes or landscape trees where just a few trees are treated, and it ain't cheap.

thank you. What a great community we have.

Proper spacing for your trees can make for a more healthy forest, a mixed forest can also help because hardwoods help set a brake. I have seem where RPAs (riparian buffers) of hardwoods along streams have stopped bug infestation. The best way to control them is to try to create a buffer by clear cut or cut & leave when you find them on your land. I had about 40 acres that joined another landowner where he had a SPB infestation and chose to do nothing about it and let it run it's coarse. He lost every pine on his place and he also lost the value of his timber. Knowing the bugs would target my trees next and move on to other landowner around me I clear cut the 40 and stopped the bugs.

Latest posts

Back