Belsaw 550-1 Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shameless butting in:

I have a good deal here. I take twelve cleaned up empty bottles to a home brewer, and come back home with 6 full ones. I am partaking in my favorite, his porter. He sent me home with two of each, amber ale, porter, and stout.

I'm going to suggest he name his beer, "Old Riggin' Pants." :smile2:

OK another u-turn. I'd almost drive to Randle for some of that. I'm just about to open a bottle of Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter. Not something I'd drink all night, but a glass or two is really good!

M-I-C-K-E-Y S-T-I-H-L

And now the Mousketeer's song will be running through his head every time he picks up that saw.

"Who's the leader of the crew that cuts both Larch and Pon-dee, file there, fill there, fall there, you're as 2-stroke as can be"

OK, I'ma bump thissen in yet another direction, scored a nice max-flo kit for my 460 but the instructions don't exactly say what the 2 supplemental plates are for (pictured) and do I need to trim the intake plate flanges on my 460 (pictured)

Also, the (what I thought to be)standard HD filter on my 660 has some blue foamy #### inside but the one on my 460 didn't, what the crap?

the plate with the stepped side goes up under the one you have in the filter as a top plate, the step fits nicely into the one you have in there. I assume you're going to put some foam filter oil on that filter first. Do this before you install those 2 plastic pieces.

the third piece would go on the outside top of the filter if you weren't going to use the full filter cover.

I run max flows and really like them. enjoy.

maybe your fuel leak is from where the fuel line exits the tank?

the plate with the stepped side goes up under the one you have in the filter as a top plate, the step fits nicely into the one you have in there. I assume you're going to put some foam filter oil on that filter first. Do this before you install those 2 plastic pieces.

the third piece would go on the outside top of the filter if you weren't going to use the full filter cover.

I run max flows and really like them. enjoy.

maybe your fuel leak is from where the fuel line exits the tank?

Thanks sir, will K&N filter oil do the job, I know K&n's are made of a much different material but I have quite a bit of it on hand and was curious, tracked down the fuel leak, it was from a little bit lower on the tank so I scuffed it up with sandpaper, hit it with carb cleaner, and JB'ed that mother

Thanks sir, will K&N filter oil do the job, I know K&n's are made of a much different material but I have quite a bit of it on hand and was curious, tracked down the fuel leak, it was from a little bit lower on the tank so I scuffed it up with sandpaper, hit it with carb cleaner, and JB'ed that mother

Nope, the K&N stuff is different, way too sticky/coating for foam.

I cheap out and use Western Family Canola Oil spray. The key to oiling a foam filter is a good spraying, then squeeze it all in good with your hands, then squeeze the filter with paper towels to mop up all the excess.

You want a filter coated good throughout, but not dripping in oil.

Last edited:
Nope, the K&N stuff is different, way to sticky/coating for foam.

I cheap out and use Western Family Canola Oil spray. The key to oiling a foam filter is a good praying, then squeeze it all in good with your hands, then squeeze the filter with paper towels to mop up all the excess.

You want a filter coated good throughout, but not dripping in oil.

What, like a couple hail mary's :tongue2:

hell, I could've saved me a journey last night and just opened the cupboard

What, like a couple hail mary's :tongue2:

hell, I could've saved me a journey last night and just opened the cupboard

Meh, that's what I get for a fast post. . . Spelling errors. LOL

To clean it, use mineral spirits, followed by a good soak/wash with dishsoap -- anything hotter can hurt the foam.

Hang dry it before reoiling.

In actuality, being just rapeseed oil. . . You could probably just do the dish-soap and skip the mineral spirits.

I use spirits all the time, just because I have it here.

In actuality, being just rapeseed oil. . . You could probably just do the dish-soap and skip the mineral spirits.

I use spirits all the time, just because I have it here.

Damn man, you're on a roll (I'll leave my Max-Flow's purity intact)

but in all seriousness, thankee much Mr.
finally got the tank leak fixed, now I need me a new fuel cap that don't leak like a seive

Yeah Jake. What Nate said. I use bel-ray filter oil and apply it with an old toothbrush...it doesn't take much to get the filter coated up. A quart bottle lasts a couple years. Of course, and Sam can back me up on this, I'm not known for being too anal about maintenence.

Yeah Jake. What Nate said. I use bel-ray filter oil and apply it with an old toothbrush...it doesn't take much to get the filter coated up. A quart bottle lasts a couple years. Of course, and Sam can back me up on this, I'm not known for being too anal about maintenence.

Bel - Ray is the ####. Been using the Klotz, that's what the shop starting ordering in....it sucks.

And Rodeo is a slack-ass:pumpkin2: - I'll back him up on that - Sam

Jake - you should put the chain on backwards just to make it a fair fight.

Sam - Laugh now...I'm heading your way in the next few days...and I'll be sleeping on your couch (or floor). And I know where you keep your whiskey...

Jake - you should put the chain on backwards just to make it a fair fight.

Sam - Laugh now...I'm heading your way in the next few days...and I'll be sleeping on your couch (or floor). And I know where you keep your whiskey...

No no, not so fast. I already drank the rest of it. Let me know when you're thinking, I won't be home much.

Latest posts

Back