Bench Mount Filling Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a stihl bench mount filing tool. Any of you guys use one? What do you think, is it worth the money, or is it just a gadget?

It's expensive, but yes it works well.

I mostly sharpen my chains freehand with a file holder. On the occasions where I really rock a chain and there's enough life in it to warrant sharpening, then I'll put it in the Stihl jig and bring all the angles back to spec. I mounted my Stihl jig on a 2X4 and clamp it in the bench vise when needed. That way it's not taking up space or in the way when I don't need it.

The other great thing about this jig is it allows you to experiment with the angles and amount of hook with consistent results if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Take Care

Got one and love it. It is very well built and does a very good job holding the file height and angle consistent, and all adjustments are easily made. The big thing I like about it over one of the ones that clamp on the bar is you can do several chains without having to install each one on a saw. Also, the cam lock vice holds the driver very securely while filing. The biggest plus of any guide, be it bench mount or bar mount, is it is a great way to learn about the various angles and their effect on how the chain cuts.

Sounds like i need one. I'am not very good sharpening free hand. Been searching net for one. Would think Stihl dealer would carry them. Found one 149.95 on net at monster market,is this about right price.

Last edited:
Sounds like i need one. I'am not very good sharpening free hand. Been searching net for one. Would think Stihl dealer would carry them. Found one 149.95 on net at monster market,is this about right price.

Call a couple Stihl dealers in the area.

If they've got one that's been sitting a collecting dust they just might make you an offer you can't refuse.

Take Care

I see more and more places carying the electric bench mount sharpeners with griding wheels.. They range anywhere from $75 to $300 .. Are the cheaper (75-100) units any good??

Latest posts

Back