bent assembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you used the Makita Chain Mortiser? I have heard that they are really fast for cutting your mortises. I was wondering if you would recommend them or if another way is better.

Thank you

Sweet thats one tough looking structure! That will be around longer than all of us and thats part of the beauty of timberframing can't wait to see it all come together thanks for keeping us updated.. irishcountry

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll have some cool pics after the raising this weekend. Was really sweet putting those bents together. Everything fit perfectly. In fact as I was "persuading" one of the corners together my last swing brought the shoulders on each joint together all at once and the whole bent rang like a tunning fork. Sounded square to me! When I measured it on the 3/4/5 it was square within a 1/16th, way below the margin of error considering the milling.

Until you put it together you've got no idea if all the work is going to fit. Phew! Someone knock on some wood so I don't jinx the rest of it!

-redoak

i bet that was a nice feeling pretty cool to hear its all going well seems like you have done your homework and spent time crafting good joints. do you have a set of plans or did you design the frame yourself?? Anyway look FWD to seeing it all going up wished I was closer i'd be willing to lend a hand just to see it in person!! Thanks for the pics irishcountry

Glad it's going well!It's good to have tight joints as it does no good to have 6" of bearing surface if only 2" is making contact.Keep up the good work.:clap: Mark

Red Oak, I've been fascinated with timber framing for a long time. Where/how did you acquire the skill? Is it something one can glean from a book? Leroy

Leroy, this is my first timberframing project outside of a few small repairs on old frames. I learned most of what I am doing here from Jack Sobon's book. There is a standard system to the joinery that becomes routine as you move along. If you have the time it is very rewarding, try a small frame and see what happens!

-redoak

Latest posts

Back