bent over looking rakers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
a quick glimpse at my ignorance.

i looked at my neighbor's chain tonight as he had mentioned something about it. and it

appeared to be full chisel (oregon), but had the bent-top rakers (depth gauges). what's up with that?

i know you know!

thanks.

I have seen this type of chain. What I saw was Oregon D66 chain. It is safety chain. There is others D72 also, the numbers indicate how many drivers there are

Last edited:
Personally I dont think it cuts well if you cut anything with any size but im also never run safety chain

:agree2:

I'd rather have LPX or RSC3 any day if it had to be "safety chain". :cheers:

LPX does have an extra "kick-back reducing" bumper, but it's still "Yellow Label" (NOT low kickback, or "safety" chain).

I don't know why Oregon doesn't make a .325 chisel without the bumper link.

If you are describing the rakers that look like a folded over dorsal fin, those are the WORST chains I've ever attempted to use here.

The are OK the first one or two outings, but never do really "bite" in like the standard full chisel chains without an safety features.

As soon as you sharpen them a few times and reduce the tooth diameter, they just don't cut well at all.

They are standard issue on the Poulan 330's 22" bar that folks have been talking about on this site, and one of the reasons those saws aren't all that impressive right out of the box.....FWIW.....Cliff

LPX does have an extra "kick-back reducing" bumper, but it's still "Yellow Label" (NOT low kickback, or "safety" chain).
My saw guy talked me into trying a couple loops of the LPX. He said the extra little ramp or bumper was more for cutting down on vibration than anything else. I haven't used them yet but he said they cut good - NOT like any safety chain.

i have that chain on pp 330 and 6401. set my grinder up to take only the front of the rakers back. now cuts like lgx, self feeding, good bite, very smooth. by the front i mean the highest point closest to gullet

My saw guy talked me into trying a couple loops of the LPX. He said the extra little ramp or bumper was more for cutting down on vibration than anything else. I haven't used them yet but he said they cut good - NOT like any safety chain.

Oh it cuts good alright, it's just that a lot of professionals have a prejudice against it because of that extra bumper link, even if they haven't tried it.

yeah, bent dorsal, dog ear, that stuff...

seems that ya'll have nailed it and have widely distributed opinions.

i'm not interested in buying any...just saw some and was curious.

hell, i might recommend it to my bro(different guy) still running super double big baby bumper junk when he gets tired of making dust. it will certainly be an upgrade for him.

as it is i just have to walk away if he starts sawing...it's like watching someone run a file backwards...

No opinion on that chain, fact. It is fine when new and the first outing or two, then quickly starts getting less and less "bite" as the teeth get sharpened down.

I bought one loop of it about 3-4 years ago at TSC, and absolutely hated it.

The next time I saw it was on the Poulan 330's I also bought at TSC. Instead of just throwing it out, I tried it again, and the same exact thing, the more you use it and sharpen the teeth down, the less effective the chain is. By the third outing, it's next to useless, IMHO.

In any case, I'm sure some folks really like it, especially if you are using somewhat UNDERPOWERED saws in the first place.....and maybe that's why it shows up on the Poulan 330 with a 22" bar?.......Cliff

which is exactly what i'd expect from looking at it...forever and a day knocking those rakers back--good job for a grinder.

the whole thing started when my buddy said lil' saw won't cut straight..and i said "rock it?" and he said agreed that he had.

i then ran my fingers over the teeth feeling for buggers...not any on at least 1/2 the chain-didn't look at it all. noticed the dog-ears and silently wondered if his bar was in good shape.

he's an old crusty. let him work it all out.

No opinion on that chain, fact. It is fine when new and the first outing or two, then quickly starts getting less and less "bite" as the teeth get sharpened down.

I bought one loop of it about 3-4 years ago at TSC, and absolutely hated it.

The next time I saw it was on the Poulan 330's I also bought at TSC. Instead of just throwing it out, I tried it again, and the same exact thing, the more you use it and sharpen the teeth down, the less effective the chain is. By the third outing, it's next to useless, IMHO.

In any case, I'm sure some folks really like it, especially if you are using somewhat UNDERPOWERED saws in the first place.....and maybe that's why it shows up on the Poulan 330 with a 22" bar?.......Cliff

:dizzy: You can't help yourself can you Cliff. LOL

You also said before that after a fileing or two that style of chain it started cutting much better on you 330. So your you flip flopping again?

You say now by the third outing, it's next to useless. You never set the drags down on any of your chains?

For the record, I don't like that Vanguard chain and I wont buy it, but I can make it cut ok.

Mark, you have quickly become the Arborist sites "moderator" for the Poulan 330. I can't even make accurate/objective comments on some POS type of chain without you going into my comments like some black bird picking corn out of cow poop.

On a personal note, you are "stalking" me around this website just waiting for any sort of negative comment about the Poulan 330, then you go back weeks and months through my posts to try to show everyone how I'm contradicting myself. Pretty childish to say the least. FWIW, I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I do know/remember that the Poulan 330 is just an OK saw, not overly impressive anyplace, especially for the weight.

For the record, just so you get it straight, the Poulan 330 out of the box is not enough saw for the 22" bar, even with a POS chain on it.....AND.....it only started cutting better after a couple of outings as the chain lost enough "bite" it didn't load the saw so hard in big logs.

Yes, I know how to drop rakers and correctly sharpen chains, etc, but thanks for asking......Cliff

PS: I would also like you to know that I no longer own the Poulan 330 that I worked so hard to get running at the level that I expect from my equipment.....but PLEASE, do not asked me why it isn't in the line-up, I don't think you can handle the answer.....FWIW.

Didn't read all, but probably vanguard.
You can grind them down a bit and they will cut better.

Back