Best 11mm climbline?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok..its the holidays and nothing like good debate with the gang so here goes..
I've been using arbormaster bluestreak and its ok..but I think I'm gonna start looking for something in 11 or 11 1/2mm line..I know theres a bunch out there..I just wanna see what the concensus is...I'm using the XT hitch with ice line or beeline and a tending pulley or a blakes in a pinch(I know the blakes doesn't work well with the smaller line btw)...lemme hear it guys..

Ok..its the holidays and nothing like good debate with the gang so here goes..
I've been using arbormaster bluestreak and its ok..but I think I'm gonna start looking for something in 11 or 11 1/2mm line..I know theres a bunch out there..I just wanna see what the concensus is...I'm using the XT hitch with ice line or beeline and a tending pulley or a blakes in a pinch(I know the blakes doesn't work well with the smaller line btw)...lemme hear it guys..

If what you are using works good I say don't change it. With trying new things comes mistakes!If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If what you are using works good I say don't change it. With trying new things comes mistakes!If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I know buddy..I try and buy a new climbline every yr and retire the old one just b/c of the abuses we all know we subject them too..I like trying to skin the cat a little faster once in a while..not all the time..I just wanna see what you guys think of different lines is all bro

Happy Thanksgiving btw gang..

Yours is a very good question. I hope you get some good answers. I'm still climbing on 1/2 NE HiVee Saftey Blue......because I bought a 600ft. spool of it!

I've also got a 150ft. hank of 11mm Blaze and like it. It looks to me like the transition to the smaller than 1/2 lines is well underway and almost all of the top climbers have made the transition already. I'm very happy though with my 1/2" line and 3/8" tress cord VT.

Yes, I haven't switched but if I ever do then all the top climbers will have made the transition. Sorry to hold it all up.

I wouldn't mind the smaller rope though I like 16 strand. I got a spool about ten years ago and by rotating my lines I have gotten a good life span. I see you have stolen my idea yourself. I probably won't require new lines anytime soon and all my lines have to be the same style or my COD rages. if I didn't need to eat i would probably get a spool of thinner rope.

Last edited:
O I think I'm gonna start looking for something in 11 or 11 1/2mm line..I know there's a bunch out there..I just wanna see what the consensus is...emme hear it guys..

Lines are a personal preference. Best 11mm for me is Tachyon or the Sherill version, Lava.

I have tried a number of different 11mm lines and always come back to Velocity. It is a bit stiffer then other lines and has a Samthane coating on it. I find that it foot-locks better for me.

For a lardass like me the low stretch and tacky coating make it an excellent line to climb.

Im climbing on bandit right now only because i wanted blaze and wespur was sold out at the time so i got bandit instead, im reall happy with it on the real long stuff when youve got the bigshot out and your shooting for the moon, on small stuff i which it had more stretch i just find it a bit to static, that being said it runs really nicely through a grigri and 1/2inch deffinitly does not. As far as durability goes it seems to be as good if not better then any 16 strand rope ive climbed on and it is considerably lighter

blakes hitch not working on smaller lines? news to me

funny how people think just because your using an EYE-EYE that they are using some kind of advanced climbing system,to each there own ,but whatever can be done on a VT can be done on a blakes hitch

I have tried a number of different 11mm lines and always come back to Velocity. It is a bit stiffer then other lines and has a Samthane coating on it. I find that it foot-locks better for me.

I agree, my preference too. But...

I would like to say that I footlock on it, but I would look silly trying. Ascenders, however, just glide right up it without any hangups at all. That hard, tight rope is pretty hard on your hands, compared to other ropes, so you may prefer something softer.

That rope is double braided and tight as hell, so it's very hard to splice, too. That same tightness seems to make knots easier to untie, though.

Last edited:
i climb on velecity I would never buy it again> before that i climb on Fly like it alot. My other climber climbs on poison ivy. its ok. I just bought blaze and climbrd on it few times.

Well I haven't really had the opportunity to climb on a bunch of different ropes but I climb on blaze and I really like it.

Before that I was climbing on safety blue, so it should be no surprise that I am really happy with blaze. I use a 4 and 3 vt and it slides and tends effortlessly. It seems to work well with natural or false crotches. I've been climbing on it for about four months and it seems durable. It is also pretty lightweight so that is a plus. I really like the color as well, I like to have my climbing line be the most visible rope in the tree, seeing as it's the most important to my survival.

Lines are a personal preference. Best 11mm for me is Tachyon or the Sherill version, Lava.

I would agree with you RacerX! I too like the Tachyon, which happens to be the largest diameter of the 11 MM ropes. After that I am a fan of the Poison Ivy (Poison Hi-vy) which is a Yale rope but exclusive to Sherrill.

I also have and have climbed on Velocity, Blue Streak, HTP Snake Bite (access line), Fly and Blaze. With that said, I have been fortunate enough to use and try many different climbing lines. Not to mention that I learned to climb on three strand.

If you know other guys in the business and you can try their lines out, that might be the best way to determine what line you want to try next.

Good luck in your quest!!

Latest posts

Back