Best 2 or 2.5 gallon gas out there now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never spilled gas before the invention of the spill proof gas can spout. I despise them all and the price for even a 1 gallon can is stupid. Anybody found anything that is close to a normal gas can from the good ol days? I would spend a bit more on something good, as I have spent several hundred $$$ in the past decade on junk cans.

Those Wavian cans do look nice. For the time being though, I decided to order 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon old style Chilton cans from the bay. All the old metal Eagle "gassers" are missing the spouts and the spouts are getting rare. Best cans I get today are when I forget I needed a can, I buy a gallon of washer fluid and dump it in my truck or on the ground and get a gallon of gas.

Genuine surplus NATO Jerry cans for bulk storage. These are the original Jerry can, the can the US and everyone else copied to make their own. I have a pile of them from the '50s, wire brushed and repainted on the outside. Internal coating was pristine. New non-EPA spouts are available in several flavors, although I greatly prefer a jiggler siphon.

https://colemans.com/nato-military-jerry-can
(no affiliation, not where I bought mine, just the first link that popped up when I googled)

I like the No-Spill can for filling smaller engines. Easy peasy.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7019899

I seen a youtube video showing how to put the top off a gatorade/power aid bottle on just any gas jug for a normal/good pour spout.
Basically you cut the top inch off a gator aid bottle and put it in the gas jugs cap instead of the spout/cap they come with.
I have used the Gatorade bottle for spouts. Works well with no leaks.
Adding a vent to the EPA spouts neuters them btw.
20240514_183851.jpg

Although I prefer a metal can to plastic, I have never had a problem with the Stens "No Spill" cans. I've had the same three No-Spill cans for 5+years without leaks, spills, or anything else. Every single other anti-spill can design has been a nightmare.

Anybody use the JustRite metal cans? Metal, but pricey.

Although I prefer a metal can to plastic, I have never had a problem with the Stens "No Spill" cans. I've had the same three No-Spill cans for 5+years without leaks, spills, or anything else. Every single other anti-spill can design has been a nightmare.

Anybody use the JustRite metal cans? Metal, but pricey.
I've used them at employers for years. That and the Eagle version. They work OK, but are over complicated unless you are required by law to use that sort of safety can.

I've never cared for the spill-proof designs. I always removed them and bought the aftermarket replacement that came with a regular spout and a vent. That said, I had to pick up a new 2.5 gal can last year and ended up getting the "No-Spill" brand. I'd hate to have to fill my tractor with it, but for small stuff like chainsaws and small engines, I actually like it. The push button is easy and straight forward to use, and makes it easy to start/stop the flow of fuel. I like it a lot better than anything I've ever used before, including the old stuff from the 70s and early 80s. Again, I would NOT want to use these to fill something that held more than a gallon or so of fuel, but for small stuff I think they are ideal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Spill-2-5-Gallon-Easy-Gas-Can/660681379?athbdg=L1600

Most of my large stuff is diesel, and I use 5 gal carboys for those.

Another wavian/ nato jerry can fan here. Few years ago I got rid of every plastic pos and all my old eagle/ rail way cans. Never going back. Bought a bunch mill surplus used cans at first, then a few more new ones. Have one 2.5 gallon and one 5 gallon I use for mixed gas. Plenty of spout options out there.

Those Wavian cans do look nice. For the time being though, I decided to order 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon old style Chilton cans from the bay. All the old metal Eagle "gassers" are missing the spouts and the spouts are getting rare. Best cans I get today are when I forget I needed a can, I buy a gallon of washer fluid and dump it in my truck or on the ground and get a gallon of gas.
The Wavian cans are good. Are the new spouts plastic? It looks like it... :(((
I still have three Korean war issue, probably WWII surplus then. I put a copper plumbing reducer on the spout and have had to change the black rubber gasket a few times over the years.

I use the no spill cans with the push buttons and flexible spouts for filling my saws. You can dump the can completely upside down and perfectly regulate the flow at the push of a button.

The Wavian cans are good. Are the new spouts plastic? It looks like it... :(((
I still have three Korean war issue, probably WWII surplus then. I put a copper plumbing reducer on the spout and have had to change the black rubber gasket a few times over the years.
Yes, they are partially plastic. They are actually quite nice, but don't fit in really small fuel openings. Only complaint is during shipping(new cans I got.) a few showed up broken. They did replace them for free, but don't offer just the plastic portion of the nozzle. I had intentions of drawing them up in cad and either getting a buddy to mill them out for me, or 3d printing them but just not high on the priority list.

Mine is only 1 gallon, but for chainsaw 2Mix, I use one of those galvanized steel Justrite safety cans.

71173q0RRgL._AC_UY218_.jpg

The one I bought came with a yellow plastic funnel that's molded to stay clamped around the round "spout," which also contains a screen (I think this makes it safer somehow)...

Not as good as the old Blitz cans but the EZ Pour Spouts are a long sight better than the current nozzles. They sell them in many hardware, home/ranch stores.
I have one of the No-Spill cans. Bought it exclusively for the lawnmowers. It works well in that capacity. Too early to say about the longevity of the spout mechanism. I don't think it would be a convenient system for fueling a vehicle.
For two stroke equipment I use the Oregon 2 in 1 which has very thick plastic and no EPA/safety crap on the nozzles.

Back