Best 50cc Husky over the years??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I watch Craigslist for smoking deals on a handy little saw, I'm curious about which ones were great and which ones to avoid. I don't know what all the models were or when they were built but I've seen a number of recurring choices. Im assuming they were produced in this order, 51, 154SE(don't see that one much), 350, and of course a lot of 455's.

Given those choices, which one is the best value? Is there a good one I've missed. Problem choices? Are there notable differences among the various years of 455's?

At the risk of starting a brand battle, is there a comparable Echo model worth considering? I like Echo power equipment and would consider them if they had a good option.

I appreciate the experience you have to share.

The CS510 and CS520 are great saws, good power, light, handle great and run a long time. Really rip with a muff modd and tuned good. I have a Rancher 55 that sits in the garage, no where near the power of the Ehco. Steve

I like Echo's also but dont have a 50cc model. I know I will hear it for this but I have a 2005 455. Yes it is a consumer model, yes it's plastic, yes S.T. will call it a p.o.s. However I have had no problems with it, and it has cut a lot of wood.:popcorn:

Over the summer i purchased a fried 55 air injection for 20.00....did a build up with a aftermarket piston+some used stuff...have only had sthils but really love this saw....great power and air filter and cool sound. There aout there pretty cheep and easy to work on and get parts...good fuel economy too..

sap can

Over the summer i purchased a fried 55 air injection for 20.00....did a build up with a aftermarket piston+some used stuff...have only had sthils but really love this saw....great power and air filter and cool sound. There aout there pretty cheep and easy to work on and get parts...good fuel economy too..

sap can

The 50, 51 and 55 surely are decent saws, but they never were true pro saws - they never were meant to be. The best version was the closed port 55 EPA, made in the late 1990s - but it was only 51cc, and it wasn't the "hottest" version of the (then Electrolux) closed port 51cc top ends. That one was no longer made at that point.

I like Echo's also but dont have a 50cc model. I know I will hear it for this but I have a 2005 455. Yes it is a consumer model, yes it's plastic, yes S.T. will call it a p.o.s. However I have had no problems with it, and it has cut a lot of wood.:popcorn:

I call any Echo saw a POS as well, they basically make no power, for the cc - and that's the obvious reason that you don't find any power specs on most of their web-sites. :msp_rolleyes:

If we talk old school, while not a Husky it is Swedish. A Jonny 52E is a very impressive saw even today with it's torque to fun a 24" bar with 3/8. And it is a pro saw.

Have to disagree with ST...I think the 254XP is a great saw. Definately my favorite and I have one of those 346XP's that they only made 3 of.

There wasn't really any great Husky 50cc saws before the 346xp (1999). The 154se, 254, 254xp was a bit large for that class, and the 50cc ones were "farmer" class saws at best.
The great Swedish 50cc saws before that were Partners and Jonsereds. :msp_wink:

I'm thinking your meaning the pre 500 series Jonsereds and I agree...

The Husqvarna 50 is alot like the early Partners in some ways but they never got the power the Partners did.

Have to disagree with ST...I think the 254XP is a great saw. Definately my favorite and I have one of those 346XP's that they only made 3 of.

Surely it is a great saw, just a bit large and heavy for a true 50cc saw, and the AV isn't state of the art. :msp_smile:

If you compare it to the newer Stihls and Dolmars it looks great, but not so when compare it to the NE346xp and the 550xp.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Doesn't sound like there's a clear choice here, everybody kinda likes what they had...

I read something on this forum about the 55's having an issue with air leaks because of the plastic intake. Is that really an issue, and would it be common to all these models?

I get the impression that the latest saws (455) have been hampered by EPA imposed modifications, making some of these older saws a better choice. Is that valid? I've been thinking maybe a 350 would be a "sweet spot", but I only got one response on that model.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Not likely to find a 346NE for cheap on Craigslist, but thanks anyway.

What's the difference between the 346XP & NE?

Thanks for all the feedback. Doesn't sound like there's a clear choice here, everybody kinda likes what they had...

I read something on this forum about the 55's having an issue with air leaks because of the plastic intake. Is that really an issue, and would it be common to all these models?

I get the impression that the latest saws (455) have been hampered by EPA imposed modifications, making some of these older saws a better choice. Is that valid? I've been thinking maybe a 350 would be a "sweet spot", but I only got one response on that model.
Thanks again for the feedback.

Yes the carb screws strip out of the plastic easy but it's easy to put some longer screws with nuts which works good. Husky should have spent a 50 cents or so the put a metal insert in the plastic Steve

Not likely to find a 346NE for cheap on Craigslist, but thanks anyway.

What's the difference between the 346XP & NE?

NE is saw talk for new edition- 50cc cylinder. Prior to mid 07 all 346's were 45cc (aka OE). The OE was discontinued with the introduction of the NE.

I have NE's and OE's--look at my signature.

Surely it is a great saw, just a bit large and heavy for a true 50cc saw, and the AV isn't state of the art. :msp_smile:

Well, a 254 is not really a 50cc class saw to begin with. Like the 2055 Jonny it's in what might be called a mid-50's class. Kind of a half size up I suppose. (Not suggesting we need another class either.) A good running example of either will outcut any of the 50cc class leaders. Both respond well to opening up the muffler a bit.

The 51/55 are hard to pin down as to being consumer vs pro. IMO, the sentiments on this site are too reflexively negative anytime we are talking "open port". They were marketed to both pro and homeowner, but they mostly existed at the same time as the 254 which was a true pro saw, we have that perception that one is pro and one is not. But often that line is somewhat blurred.

NE is saw talk for new edition- 50cc cylinder. Prior to mid 07 all 346's were 45cc (aka OE). The OE was discontinued with the introduction of the NE.

I have NE's and OE's--look at my signature.

Yep, anyone looking for a used 346 should check with nmurph First! :msp_smile:

OE or NE... I have one of each and Both are good!!!

Another very good 50cc Husky is the 353, just a slightly detuned 346, mag case, pro like. As is the 351...

...Another very good 50cc Husky is the 353, just a slightly detuned 346, mag case, pro like. As is the 351...

Yep, and I didn't understand Niko's statement below. Maybe he can explain it to me. He is very good with semantics even though English isn't his native tongue (though like many "foreigners, he speaks better than most whose native tongue is English).

The 350 easily is the best "consumer class" saw ever made...

Latest posts

Back