Best bar length for ms 290 farm boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it

I've never really understood this. If he's cutting wood that he can get through with a 16" bar, then why would a 20" bar be any slower? If he was switching to 20" wood then I could see it using more power but if the wood is the same diameter then how does bar length affect cutting speed?

I've never really understood this. If he's cutting wood that he can get through with a 16" bar, then why would a 20" bar be any slower? If he was switching to 20" wood then I could see it using more power but if the wood is the same diameter then how does bar length affect cutting speed?

More friction between bar and chain, plus the added mass of the longer chain takes more power to accelerate up to speed.

I guess that makes sense, it just seems to me like the friction of the chain on the bar is nothing compared to the friction of the chain in the wood and the wood doesn't change size when you change bar length (in this case).
Thanks for the explanation.

it just seems to me like the friction of the chain on the bar is nothing compared to the friction of the chain in the wood

I agree -- that's surely the case. We're probably talking fractions of HP for chain/bar friction losses compared to multiple HPs of workload from wood resistance when cutting. Still, the chain friction is probably on the order of minor tuning effects, so it all factors in -- every little bit matters. I sure can say that my saw really perked up when I went from an 18" to 16" bar recently.

I agree -- that's surely the case. We're probably talking fractions of HP for chain/bar friction losses compared to multiple HPs of workload from wood resistance when cutting. Still, the chain friction is probably on the order of minor tuning effects, so it all factors in -- every little bit matters. I sure can say that my saw really perked up when I went from an 18" to 16" bar recently.

You learn something every day... thanks.

Had a 36" on mine one time. But...... it was only because the the 20" bar I had on it got pinched and the starter cord had broke on my 440. Made one cut with it and took it off, always wished I had gotten a picture of it though!!!!!

JMHO 16-18 optimal bar on a 290,,, Take the B&C off get a bar groove cleaner, make sure the groove is clean all the way around,,,

Really inspect the cutters if they're not really sharp have it trued up on a grinder,,, but first after you clean the bar groove and oiler holes put the chain on the bar and makes sure it slides around the bar easily,, it its good to there, put it on the saw, turn the oiler all the way up,,, fire it up and check the oil output pattern off the chain on the ground or a piece of wood,,, Make sure your chain is scary sharp and your getting plenty of oil!!!

is it a green dot safety chain??? if so save it for dirty work,, and get a 33 RSC yellow dot!!!!!

Added friction + the the added weight of the chain.

36 on 290 wow! Did it work well?

The only cut I made with it was in a 10" log. For any amount of cutting it would be waaaaaay too long. I doubt the oiler would keep up and it would give the saw a serious workout. For regular cutting I would never go over 20 and even then you aren't breaking any speed records. Good saw though that will last you a long time if taken care of!

The only cut I made with it was in a 10" log. For any amount of cutting it would be waaaaaay too long. I doubt the oiler would keep up and it would give the saw a serious workout. For regular cutting I would never go over 20 and even then you aren't breaking any speed records. Good saw though that will last you a long time if taken care of!

nice. to me it is a good saw for homeowner a few cords a yr, home lawn maintainance farm use tree service use and if a tree comes down cut it up. any serious use lot of firewood a yr only a pro saw will do. thats why i have pro saws...

I think the MS290 is a decent saw. I have one in the shop as we speak (a friends saw). I would stick with a 16-18" b/c, but dont imagine a 20" would really be a problem. I think a 18" bar makes a nice setup on a 290.

Take the chain off

Look to see if that chain got a bent driver on it. And wiggle all the links individually, see if any of them are binding. You could have a bad link or three on that chain, that will seriously bork up the cuttin'

whats wrong with it? yea its a good saw. he will have 16 on it 20 if needed

Nothing, maybe a bit of neglect and in need of a tune. Thought I would snag it, pull the caps and work the exhaust over a little bit. Actually, I think I just needed an excuse to fire up the welder (for the exhaust of course).

I've got a 310 (I know one step bigger then the 290) with a 18" bar and I think it is perfect for the saw. If I get into anything bigger I grab the 066.

Latest posts

Back