Best Brushcutter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Curious what people consider to be the best brushcutter on the market, and why?

My specific application is cutting thick grass, saplings, etc. on hillsides, fencelines and creek banks. I don't have a need for a true clearing saw.

Mods, if this needs to go to handheld equipment, move as needed.

My favourite would be an FS250. I have an R model, an FS350, and an FS550. Keep an eye out on the used market. As far as new would go, I'd look for a husky 525 series brushcutter, or the 336FR

The 250r really is the most versitile. For any more than a "tank full" job, the 350 is preffered for its antivibe.

FS-250

With a good blade I've taken out 2" trees with ease.

If you are only cutting grass and saplings that are finger thickness, a 3 finger blade will clear it all away without even working the motor

I have a 336fr, and it does everything I ask of it. It came with a tri-blade (?) which works well on anything under 1". Bigger than that, and the circular saw blade works better. Plenty of power for me.

Josh

I did a lot of brush cutting with a Shindaiwa C35 both with a blade and trimmer head.
I took down a whole bunch of Alder and Maple saplings without issue. The key is to keep the blade sharp and the Rpms up. I found an 80 tooth blade was the smoothest for cutting the 3-4" stuff.
I lucked into a couple of B45s and think the extra power is nice but not really needed.
I did buy a used Shindaiwa from a guy who opted to go with a 4-stroke Stihl and I have to admit it was quieter and sounded ready to work.
I stumbled into a deal on this today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448581738.531742.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448581752.397317.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using a Stihl 130R with a chisel tooth blade, Cut saplings up to 3 inches is you take your time. 1 inch almost vaporized on contact. Very descent trimmer also

I have a Husqvarna 232R that has served me well. I run a trimmer head on it 95% of the time, and switch to a grass or saw blade twice a year to knock down the heavy stuff that grows up.

I only contemplated an upgrade because of the Husqvarna Black Friday sale. I think I may have sellers remorse if I get rid of the 232R. Perhaps that is a sign that I should be content with my current setup.

I don't like the FS250. The 130 makes the same power, is more compact, burns less fuel, vibrates less, weighs a pound less, has better designed bike bars, is still in production, and cost $150 less. The 240 had all those attributes sans it makes more power, and weighs a teeny bit more.

I like the FS130s-I run a half dozen. They work.

My C35 is 31 years old. Granted it doesn't get run much any more but it ran a lot for many years. I still grab it once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 232R and love it. Don't care for the standard weed blades though. Grass would lay down in front of it instead of cutting until I modified a blade to act like a bush hook. Now grass can't get away as the blade draws it in instead pushing it away. You just have to keep it well way from fence wire. I believe you can bolt a 235R P&C on it if you need a little bump in power.

Back