Best Bucket Lift ??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why didn't you say so, you just said Hi-Ranger, meaning in general. I have not run a scissor/elevator lift yet. Anyways, are not your hands and feet sore from them spikes you were nailed to the cross with?
Nevermind, I'll go back to the r.o.w., mans work, where you wouldn't be allowed to go, here, anyways.

We know your feet are sore from spikes, because spikes are the only way a guy like you can get up a tree, and you know this to be true clearance, you just gaff and hack away all day, and you love it!

We know your feet are sore from spikes, because spikes are the only way a guy like you can get up a tree, and you know this to be true clearance, you just gaff and hack away all day, and you love it!

Actually, Jesus, I make proper cuts, no flush cuts, no stubs. And I very rarely top trees, so, spurs are the only thing that I do "wrong". And my feet are not sore, I wear Viberg lineman boots, which are comfortable and expensive. Now I will turn the other cheek, as your teachings from the good book tell me to.

Welcome to the site!

I've never flown a boom with and elevator, I know they are really nice. I've got a High Ranger that is 69ft. to the top lip of the bucket but the booms are long and they make it hard to get in tight places.

We run all 75' Hi-Rangers with elevators. They are great! Once you release the elevator things get a bit, ok alot, wobbly but you get used to it.

The good thing about the Hi-ranger and Altec elevators as opposed to the Aerial lift ones is that you always move straight up. The AL ones move you up and away from your work or move you up and past your work as they are a much different design.

I prefer the Hi-Ranger elevator for thisreason. I also like the square booms, I feel they are stiffer, and Ill take all the stiffness I canget at 75' wobbling around!

Once you release the elevator things get a bit, ok alot, wobbly but you get used to it.
:dizzy:
I'm 245 w/o my gear and saw, my hips come over the lip of the bucket (one client likes to ask me if I'm standing on a milk crate, or tells me I'm suposed to shovel the sawdust ou of his bucket before climbing in)

:dizzy:
I'm 245 w/o my gear and saw, my hips come over the lip of the bucket (one client likes to ask me if I'm standing on a milk crate, or tells me I'm suposed to shovel the sawdust ou of his bucket before climbing in)

I can only imagine the movement when the bottom boom is all the way over, and then penciled out with the elevator all the way up with you in the bucket!

I prefer the terex hi ranger to the altec, feels more stable, like JPS I am near capacity on a single bucket lift, with boots, ropes and saws, so I know what it feels like to get a bounce in one of those things. My dad had one of the older style asplundh cable lift booms and those were a real blast to go over center and wait for the opposite cable to 'grab'. I used to the old skyworker years ago and they were incredibly stable, I have not used a newer style aerial lift of conn. I remember at a demo of skyworker years ago the sales man jacked up the legs on the bucket while extended to the side to show the balance of the truck. This should be an interesting thread. :popcorn:

I can only imagine the movement when the bottom boom is all the way over, and then penciled out with the elevator all the way up with you in the bucket!

If there were a vomit smiley, I would have used it :dizzy:

The thing I like about the spiderlift is the electric over hydraulic proportional control. It does add cost, but there is not the herky-jerky movement for the semiskilled operator who does not have the feel to "feather" the controls.

Then the worst part of the spiderlift is the lack of a mid boom articulation.

The best boom is the one I am in at the time.:hmm3grin2orange:

Many years ago when I worked for NYC parks the city bought a bunch of Holan buckets. We had used Hi-rangers for years before. Compared to the compact, fast moving, single stick Hi-Rangers, the Holan was slow, 3 handles, oversized booms, shallow buckets and a whole lot of other problems. Everyone complained and threatened to not use them. One of the dinosaur supervisers went into the storage area one morning and came out with a 40' wooden ladder and a climbing rope and saddle. Told the crews that there were alternatives available to anyone that did not want to use the bucket. Pretty much ended the complaining. ;)

Many years ago when I worked for NYC parks the city bought a bunch of Holan buckets. We had used Hi-rangers for years before. Compared to the compact, fast moving, single stick Hi-Rangers, the Holan was slow, 3 handles, oversized booms, shallow buckets and a whole lot of other problems. Everyone complained and threatened to not use them. One of the dinosaur supervisers went into the storage area one morning and came out with a 40' wooden ladder and a climbing rope and saddle. Told the crews that there were alternatives available to anyone that did not want to use the bucket. Pretty much ended the complaining. ;)
Yeah the one I would not use anymore for safety reasons
is the original asp trim lift they were better than climbing
but were weak in critical areas and even though I used
them with no problem others weren't so lucky and building
the trim lift came to a halt and the know use Altec a stronger
design and much safer! The early days the drive cables on
those lifts would break and we all know what that means!

Back