best cart/wheelbarrow for delivering wood to customers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I deliver quite a bit of firewood to customers and I stack. If they help me, I don't charge for delivery. If they don't I charge $10. Am looking for ideas for delivery carts. Do you use a two wheeler, wheelbarrow(4 wheeled), or a wagon? also, how do you haul it as my truck is usually loaded to the top. Am looking to make delivery easier on this old back.

Although I usually use a trailer with my ATV, I have one of those heavy duty wagons from Northern Tool that works pretty good. It's one of those with the expanded steel sides with inflatable tires. Northern Tool sends me good coupons every month.

Jackson one wheel wheelbarrow. Put it on top of wood upside down and strap it down with a ratchet strap. 2 wheel wheelbarrow's are aweful if you encounter any grade at all. For example if you have to walk across hill. Also to big and bulky to get down peoples walkways, around there junk in the driveway etc.20161207_085206.jpg 20161105_132907.jpgOther wheelbarrows are not as durable throwing wood into them day after day. The Jackson is a little heavy but its durable.

You might need a sled, not a cart. The "Just put it in the wood rack around back." Or "Stack it on the porch." Really, you want it on top of all those odd ball chunks in the half rotted falling down rack, behind the hedge, not to mention the 18" of snow on the tarp half covering it, the rest of the tarp froze in sculptured like forms.. Or... four thousand pounds stacked on the deck next to the door. Yes ma'am, I'll get right on that. Do you have a contractor on speed dial, or would you like me to recommend one?
The first time I delivered and stacked, I woke the guy up from his hangover. It took a while for him to come out. Then I thought he was looking for his check book in his car for ten minutes. Nope, he was looking for his cigarettes (or his brain). Then, he could not decide where to go with the wood, when I told him on the deck was not going to happen. I should have driven away after the forth cigarette, and still no sign of intelligence, ... but three of his neighbors walked over and ordered wood during the time I was waiting on him. Then a woman showed up from her morning jog, looked at him/looked at me, and said stack it next to the truck, and walked in the house.
To answer your question. I used a brick style wheel barrow, with a bit of effort in the snow.
I quickly learned to say no to stacking, making it very clear when they order, it will be thrown off the side or back of the truck. No stacking. No surprises.

How much wood are you stacking for $10? I can't imagine doing that - nobody here does. Long lengths get piled where the boom reaches, splits get dumped where you can back the dump truck or trailer to. The thoughts of stacking where it lies are bad enough, let alone wheelbarrowing it somewhere - don't think I'd do that for less than $50/cord.

But on the topic - I'd use a big 'ordinary' wheel barrow, on the truck however it would go. But if really concerned about the back, just unload & leave.

My favorite cart is one I got from Harbor freight. It has bicycle tires and a low CG. Unfortunately it is NLA. I have spent more on tubes and tires than I spent on the cart. I've been using it for 8 years. Still on one of the original tires. It rolls easier than the ones with dolly tires and is more stable than the style where the wood rides above the tires. Wood length is limited to 22"

I think a similar style is still available from other sources.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.GIF
    IMG_0236.GIF
    14.8 KB · Views: 23
I was considering getting a cart made for carrying deer out of the woods for hunters and modifying it to haul wood. Reason being is the are low CG like the wood cart like @Streblerm suggested but heavier construction since they are made to haul a 200 lb deer and it would fit in a man door... Right now I just use a large two wheeler wheel borrow and a 4 wheeled cart. @moondoggie is spot on about the two wheeled wheel borrow and uneven terrain. It would make more sense to modify it to use one wheel. Btw, I think your nuts for stacking for $10. As a kid my brother and I would ride with my dad to make deliveries and offer to stack their wood. Each of us would get $10 per cord.

My two wheeler.
IMG_20161227_222425910.jpg
My cart.
IMG_20161227_222408533.jpg
I can move well over a face cord taking two trips each like this. One face cord is reasonable not stacked so high.

I charge $30/hr per person. (Ie... I show up with 2 other guys and it takes us 2 hrs it's $180.

End up doing maybe 5-7 cords a year (out of about 500). $10/cord? I dunno, at best it's gonna take about an hr... that's if you can get the truck right to the stack, not carting in a wheelbarrow around the house, through a dog **** laden yard, up or down the hill, into a "wood shed" that looks like it's falling apart with a stiff breeze.
Or... put it in the porch/deck... yeah sure, I'll put 5000lbs on something that is barely holding up my 200lb butt!

To answer your question though, I just just a 1 wheeler wheelbarrow and strap it to the top of the wood.

Asked the hired hand to bring in some wood for the shop stove.... hahaha!....

20161229_202639.jpg

I don't deliver a lot of wood and the delivery and stacked gets me my orders. Mostly older, single moms, female, or disabled. I'm retired and have a lot of time, so I really don't mind. I do stack "within reason" though, so I am selective. The $10 stacking charge is a face cord. Most people pitch right in and help, though. Does the largest wagon or the largest single wheel wheelbarrow hold the most wood? I kind of like the looks of the wagon, as it seems like it would be easier to pull. btw, if they pitch in and help I don't charge anything for stacking!

My 4 wheeled wagon holds more than the wheel borrow. I'd say it would be very reasonable to more a face cord with it in 4 trips. I can't remember if mine came from Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight. It has a tie rod steering.

You deliver wood 1/3 cord at a time?

I don't mess with under 1 cord, I'd rather do 1 5 cord order in a day than 10 1/2 cord.

I deliver 1/3 of a cord whenever someone needs it too.

People can pickup, but I'm not tying up a truck and driving around for 1/3 cord orders. I try not to get in a habit of doing things that don't make the business money.

I started strapping two wheel barrows to the top of my trailer load of wood when it seemed everyone "needed" their wood stacked around the back, through the pool enclosure, across the lawn, and under the kids tree house:

P1040953.JPG

Still found a few customers who would look at that extra wheelbarrow like I was a loon or something for bringing it along. So, I still appreciate a fine hound as well as the next guy:

P1040954.JPG

But a couple years ago I repriced my loads to significantly incentivize my customers to take a more active role in the pick-up, delivery, stack process. I now have a small handful of customers who come pick the wood up. I help them load, I let them cast aside any piece they don't like the looks of, and I have no idea how close they drive their trucks or trailers to where they want it stacked at their house. Since I am a small time operator, my 16-20 cords go to a few clients who have been buying from me for 5+ years. I enjoy working in the woods, not working in a client's lawn.

When I deliver wood I charge to deliver. My average delivery fee is $30 and if they want it stacked it's automatically $50 per cord to stack it. But when I pull up with truck and trailer that's typically where the wood gets tossed off at, unless I gotta back the trailer up in the driveway.

I do this strictly as a hobby and don't have a lot of expensive equipment or labor. I only have a 1/2 ton pickup and #3500 trailer (5x8) , so my orders are mostly a face cord.(or two). My orders have grown every year as I deliver 100% oak, 16" long, that's been split and stacked for a season and a half to two years long. Everybody loves my wood, I also give a little extra in my face cord, and am always on time delivering. I know out east delivering a full cord (or portion thereof)is a legal thing and you can face prosecution for shorting someone. All anybody here knows is a face cord, (I don't think it's ever been an issue here, legally) and it's just not an issue. I also give them a little break if they order a full cord, which is 3 face cords. So measuring firewood by a cord in states where its a legal thing is just fine, it just doesn't happen here and won't as long as its not a problem.

I think I'd go with one of the 4 wheel steel carts and get one of the aluminium receiver hitch carriers for the cart. Assuming you close the tailgate when delivering, Joe.

Latest posts

Back