Best chain advice for MS362 25"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc4sfe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just ordered a MS-362 and will occasionally run a 25" chain on it. I'm thinking of getting either a half skip or full skip to keep the RPM's up as this bar should be about the max for this saw. I will mostly cut pine and other softwood with it but occasionally hardwoods.

What advice can you guys give me.

Lane

If your cutting big stuff primarily, I would for sure prefer full skip. RM is with no doubt my #1 choice of cutters for all around use cause its easier to keep sharp. Full chisel may be faster cutting when sharp and either will get the job done. I've never used half skip but expect it would be a tad smoother running in smaller cuts but you will gain chip clearance with full skip which benifts in large cuts.

I ran a normal semi chisel but you need a light touch even in softwoods with that length of bar on that saw. Also crank your oiler all the way up.

I use a Jonsered 2165 with a 24 inch b/c and I often use full comp lgx or rs chain and it works fine. I sometimes use jgx (skip) chain just because it can be sharpened quicker. The 362 should handle similar chain.

I use full comp on my stock 60cc saw (24" full chisel) with good chain speed and no problems. I cut mostly pine, then oak, gum and other hardwoods.. But again mostly pine. I'd like to try a loop of half skip one day but it's fine as is, really.

60cc's are much happier with a 20" b/c (talk about fun!) though they do well with a 24".

Thanks... most of my cutting will be with the 20" b/c but this 25" will be on hand for the big stuff too.

I have a ms 362 with a 25 inch bar. I just finished two large trees both over 40 inches. they were both oak, you can not push to hard just take your time let the saw do the work. I use reg, yellow chain. This is not something I do daily, maybe 15 or so this size a year.

Latest posts

Back