Best chain for firewood cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a 32" .050 bar for my 385 this morning (ebay) and am looking for a recommendation for chain. I have found Stihl RSC, Oregon LGX and LP listed (also on ebay). I see Amick's has LGX for about $19 a loop. Is one of these chains better than another? I cut firewood. I recently bought some woodland chain from baileys and am happy with it, but they don't list 32" loops.

Last edited:
RSC, LP and LGX - in that order of preference (in 3/8"). I have very limeted experience with Carlton/WP chisel - you need to file it before using it, but from then it seems perfectly OK, so far. :)

Last edited:
i think its actualy 105 drive links.

im running all oregon on my 32" full skip lgx whatever its called and full skip square ground whatever thats called CJ i think.

the full skip round ground lgx cuts like crazy and the 372 seems to pull it just fine with wood out past the tip.

i try to stay away from stihl chain lately because its so exspensive and im not good enough to notice the difrence even though i have rsf rsc rslk and rsc3 in the line up.

both oregon and stihl will last all day if i keep them out of the dirt

ive been meaning to try the woodland pro to because every talk so good about it. maybe the next 25"/28" will be a full comp woodland pro

Depends on the condition of the wood you are cutting. Clean wood, I like lpx full chisel. Dirty skidded wood and sometimes tops I like dp semi chisel.

Howdy,
The 30RC (full comp) is due in any moment. Anything over 28" in full comp, we custom cut. The last three weeks of sales have been off the hook. We do have prepackaged loops of 30RCS (full skip) in stock.

:http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WPL+32+30RCS105&catID=
Regards
Gregg

I think I'll wait for the full comp. When I order from the following page, do I put 105 as the quantity? To order multiple chains, should I just order the same item multiple times with 105 as the quantity on each?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WP375 30RC

I don't actually have the bar yet. I just bought it yesterday on ebay. I'll have to wait until it arrives. Hopefully by then the Woodland Pro full comp will be back in stock. I'll be using it on some soft maple in the coming weeks, so the full comp should cut pretty well.

Latest posts

Back