Best files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which file brand gives the most bang for the buck? Red Box? Woodsman Pro? Pferd? Stihl? Oregon? Something else?

BTW, I'm concerned with 13/64" round files at the moment.

I prefer the files sold by Husky/Jred here to the ones sold by Stihl, but I don't know who makes them, and if they are the same in the US.:confused:
They seem to have a better "bite".

The only 13/64" files I have found have been Stihl branded (guess why it is so!).

Last edited:
File Sources

Here is the deal on the different file factories: All quality chainsaw files are made in Europe today. The three major factories are Pferd (Germany), Vallorbe (Swiss) and Sandvik/Bahco (Portugal). The Sandvik/Bahco files used to be made in Sweden under specific factory names like Viiala and Oberg, but the machinery was moved to Portugal in the mid 90's to take advantage of cheaper labor rates. So, depending on who puts their name on it, the country of origin will tell you the factory where it is made. Our current WoodsmanPRO files are made in Switzerland, so they come from the Vallorbe factory. The only exception to the rule are the Save Edge files, which get their file blanks from Portugal and put the cutting edge on here in Ohio.

As far as the bite, both Pferd and Vallorbe offer two different styles of cutting edges, smooth and aggressive. Each has its' advantages.

yup!

I buy Timber Savage files. They say "swiss made" on the file.

Yup! That's what I buy. Primarily because my dealer stocks them. He stocks their wedges too, they're prety good, and so are the files. They remove material pretty quick compared to others. They seem to go dull pretty quick, and I don't pull it backward against the tooth. They sure do a fast and good job though. I was thinking of trying the preferd files from bailey's.:) :clap: :greenchainsaw:

Square files for me.
I like the vallobre goofy and double beveled when I can find them but my brothers shop is inconsistent on what they sell so I use them all. The vallobre files seem to last longer and wear at a slower rate. Even when they are well worn and cut slow they still cut.

Some of the off brand files will cut for a while then just stop, no middle ground.

No file is gonna make it as good as a brand new chain but the closest thing you'll get to it is using timber Savage they're good and tough so they won't snap in half like some junk files the other companies sell and you'll get a decent amount of sharpens out of them I've been using them and I normally get about 7-8 good uses out of one before its worn down

No file is gonna make it as good as a brand new chain but the closest thing you'll get to it is using timber Savage they're good and tough so they won't snap in half like some junk files the other companies sell and you'll get a decent amount of sharpens out of them I've been using them and I normally get about 7-8 good uses out of one before its worn down
Why can't you get a chain as sharp as new with your timber Savage files? How do chain producers get new chain so sharp? Why do files other than Timber Savage snap in half so easily? What do you rate your chain filing ability out of 10?

How do chain producers get new chain so sharp?

I believe chain manufacturers have the ability to sharpen the cutter before it is attached to anything. This would allow more flexibility for rotary tooling to grind or cut on the cutter that is later attached to the chain chassis.

Does a file actually file the chrome coating of a chainsaw chain? I would think a fine enough grinding stone with lube/coolant would. Perhaps the file just rips off the hard chrome coating.

Back