Best Firewood Based on Aroma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one of the few around here that love the aroma of walnut. Fruit woods are good, too as well as maple, oak, pine, cedar ... I guess a lot of them smell pretty good especially when considering that money not going to the power or gas companies.

I guess I can detect a clearer distinct oder from fresh cut and split wood than from burning. Oak, Hickory, Maple, Ash and Walnut all have a clear and distinct oders. But my favorite is Black Cherry without question! Oders, are tuff things to discribe in words, but cherry is sweet heaven to me...:clap:

Gregg,

Another reason I like Christmas

It's rare that I can get a decent supply of apple. I have a small supply I keep sep. from the rest of the firewood - woodbooga's select stash. We save it for Thanksgiving, Xmas, and other special occasions. Sure was nice sending some more of it up the chimney.

Cutting: Oak, cause it mixes good with the 2-stroke smell.

Splitting: Maple cause it's nice and sweet.

Burning: Hickory by far my favorite. I even deliberately fan some of it out into the living room when loading the stove. :givebeer:

Cedar 1st, Elm second for smell. To me Elm smells like pipe tobacco and Cedar well it just smells great :) I like Hickory too but we dont have any here.

We always let some Cedar smoke out into the room around Christmas time adds ambiance with the lights etc.

Kansas

One of my favorite fringe benefits of heating and cooking with wood is the smell of the woodsmoke emanating from the chimney. The evergreen goodness of an early season pine fire. The rootbeer aroma of birch for a mid-November blaze. The smell of cherry and other fruitwoods later in the season. Even smoke from a deep winter burning of red oak, ash, rock maple, or beech have a certain charm.

Ah, behind all the macho facade the man is a romantic. That rare stick of Apple, saved for that oh so very special occasion :clap: :clap:

But then, the odor, the whiffs, the pungency, the remembrances ......of ..."ordinance in the early morning........." :censored:

crabapple. great smelling stuff. I burnt a few and realized I should probably save it for the smoker. We have a lot of grouse that have been hanging out in the yard lately. Ive been sprinkling some chicken feed out in their hangout...Its what i like to call "pre-marination.":cheers:

Theres not much Hickory around here either, but Pecan in a cook fire with onion peels smoldering on the side sure adds something to rice and pintos.

Now when you guys say cherry are you talking about the wild or black cherry trees that get big or the real cherry trees with the little red fruit.

Well, for me, I`m talking about the large wild Black Cherry... I never cut any of the smaller fruit trees, but I would guess they would be aromatic also.:)

I'll vote for black walnut! I can smell my wood pile from half way across the lawn with a good beeze. Smells just as nice burning, almost seems a little naughty burning a furniture wood. :laugh:

Back