best for rigging port a wraps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st, I was simply stating both pulleys hold 5/8" rope. 2nd , zale stated previously that the safe working load is roughly 10% of WLL. obviously the cmi block is much stronger but your only as strong as your weekest link. In this case that is the loopie. The 5/8 loopie has a Wll of 3000 lbs, the dmm pulley with a 1/2 " loopie has a WLL OF 2200lbs. Just want to know if the dmm pulley is safe for up to 300lb limbs

1st, I was simply stating both pulleys hold 5/8" rope. 2nd , zale stated previously that the safe working load is roughly 10% of WLL. obviously the cmi block is much stronger but your only as strong as your weekest link. In this case that is the loopie. The 5/8 loopie has a Wll of 3000 lbs, the dmm pulley with a 1/2 " loopie has a WLL OF 2200lbs. Just want to know if the dmm pulley is safe for up to 300lb limbs
IMHO the dmm is fine. Why not just go to the page on treestuff with the set up your looking at and click on "ask an expert". That should settle it. Luke at treestuff will most likely answer the question himself and he knows whats up. But I think the dmm is fine for what you want to do a cmi would be better.

Sometimes people around here dont like to answer "will it hold" questions. I know I dont. Theres always variables involved in real work situations.

If you're gonna spend some money get the block. It will do everything the pinto will do with a larger margin of safety and give you a longer service life. Get a 3/4" block, that way the block won't ever limit you and when you have money just laying around you can get a smaller one too. Use what ever size rope is appropriate for the piece you're taking. I would not plan on negative rigging pieces from a 36" pine onto a pinto rig. I like a Stable Braid dead eye sling for the block and porty. Much lighter than the whoopies and loopies.

Hope that helps

Can anyone tell me if this loopie rig is safe for rigging down limbs 600 lbs or less? or should I just buy the huge cmi block? the wll is 2200 lbs on this unit. I can usually block above cuts but want to be safe for negative blocking too

600 lbs is a very big branch. Don't forget when you are rigging the actual weight on the gear will be increased by how far it drops before being slowed down.

The rule of thumb is (weight of object X distance dropped) + weight of object.

So if you had a 100 lb limb and you dropped it 4' (it's sitting 2' above your block) then the weight experience by the gear would be (100 x 4) + 100 = 500 lb.

You're better to go bigger with your first block and then as you acquire more gear, you can buy a smaller pulley.

Back