Best gloves for cutting, splitting, stacking.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size glove do most people buy medium or large, I am having trouble deciding?

At work it mandatory to wear gloves and part of my responsibilities is getting necessary supplies for the workers out of the crib. Out of 15 men one wears 7.5, one wears 11 and the rest are equally divided between 9 and 10.

I like the yellow leather ones from Lowes - Depot. What i do though is tape them up with duct tape when they are brand new, and then repair the tape whenever the leather starts to show.

Might not be the best glove but I use these Endura's spring , summer and fall .

76YBDQ-480-Endura-Cowgrain-Leather-Fitters-Cotton-Lined-Leather-Glove-IMG.jpg

Cheap enough for me by the dozen .
Like Spider , I find my hands sweat too much in the coated gloves when I get going in the winter which opens the door for problems so in the cold I'll use an uncoated thermal knit glove or plaid old fashion leather garbage mittens http://www.cabelas.ca/product/23282/raber-garbage-mitts .

For any time but winter I use Dynema terminator gloves. Little pricey (8$ pair) but last 20 plus washes and awesome dexterity. Use them for all mechanic work and still can grab small 8-32 nuts. Much cooler than the yellow ones in fact in cooler/cold weather they feel cooler than bare hands for some reason. They are cut resistant. I could not cut them with a new blade in a utility knife pushing as hard as I could. Point of the knife could still stick you through the weave but it would prevent your hand from being filleted open.

Cold weather I found a pair of thinsulate synthetic leather wells Lamont gloves that wears well but retains much dexterity. Still wear my kid skin thinsulate glove for driving but they were to expensive/torn up quickly for work.

2nd the dyneema for spring/summer/fall. Expensive and hard to find but well worth the money. Washable and very tough.

I wear the Atlas fit in medium, but I'm a little short on one end at 5'-6".:rolleyes:
I just measured my hand: 3 1/2" across the palm, middle finger is 3", thumb to pinky spread is 8". The mediums are perfect for me. Hope this helps.

I go with the mechanix.. Yes, they can get expensive if you just use the non-4X material type, those ones will last about a week or two depending on my job site duties. However I only the 4X ones & usually padded, the padded ones seem to last way longer for me as there is more material in the wear areas. The 4X ones will actually last me a few months with no sweaty palms or stink & when they wear out I just bring then back to Lowes as they have a 90 day warranty. I just throw the tag that holds them together in the glove until I need them warranted. Works out pretty good & I usually end up buying one pair a year in the spring.
ery4esa3.jpg

Atlas hands down.. I just started using them last season and I'm thoroughly impressed with the durability of these gloves. I picked up a dozen of them....should last many years for me. Good leather gloves were costing me $10-$12 a pair.....I do like leather, but they just don't last that long.

I have had good luck with X-grip from frogrip they are level 3 cut resistant yet thin and breathable and the grip last awhile I get them for $2 a pair from work I was just shocked to see them for $75 a dozen online ! I will try a pair of atlas to compare.

I have had good luck with X-grip from frogrip they are level 3 cut resistant yet thin and breathable and the grip last awhile I get them for $2 a pair from work I was just shocked to see them for $75 a dozen online ! I will try a pair of atlas to compare.

Just so I'm sure I'm on the same page, when y'all mention the ATLAS gloves your referring to the rubber palmed/fingered gloves with the mesh on the backside, the ones that make your fingers into prunes in the summer & ice sickles in the winter? I have no beef with those ones if the conditions are right.

Ha.. I just saw a couple pair of the cut resistant mechanix ones on Granger, They were only 65-75 dollars! What a deal! SMH...o_O

For any time but winter I use Dynema terminator gloves. Little pricey (8$ pair) but last 20 plus washes and awesome dexterity. Use them for all mechanic work and still can grab small 8-32 nuts. Much cooler than the yellow ones in fact in cooler/cold weather they feel cooler than bare hands for some reason. They are cut resistant. I could not cut them with a new blade in a utility knife pushing as hard as I could. Point of the knife could still stick you through the weave but it would prevent your hand from being filleted open.

Cold weather I found a pair of thinsulate synthetic leather wells Lamont gloves that wears well but retains much dexterity. Still wear my kid skin thinsulate glove for driving but they were to expensive/torn up quickly for work.
The group I cut with we all wear white cotton fallers gloves when running the saw, and rubber palm atlas when stacking. I prefer bare hands for swinging a maul..

Just so I'm sure I'm on the same page, when y'all mention the ATLAS gloves your referring to the rubber palmed/fingered gloves with the mesh on the backside, the ones that make your fingers into prunes in the summer & ice sickles in the winter? I have no beef with those ones if the conditions are right.

Ha.. I just saw a couple pair of the cut resistant mechanix ones on Granger, They were only 65-75 dollars! What a deal! SMH...o_O
Yup blue in the summer and Grey thermal ones in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen but never used the thermals, tried them on once in a store but still never put them into the field.. Do they make a difference in the cold? I can't stand winter, if I could wear my snowmobiling gloves for work & still be productive I would.. I find that wearing the blue rubber ones in the cold actually make my fingers numb alot faster than wearing something like a leather/cowhide glove. Smoking probably doesn't help the old circulatory system either..

I use Atlas Thermal through the winter. I wear the 12 pair for $5 no-name from Lowe's the rest of the year. I still wear them out, even the Atlas Thermal let the rubber palm separate starting between the thumb and fore finger after a couple months. But, they all last longer than leather for me, especially when working with wet wood.

I still split by hand:
Splitter.JPG

I've seen but never used the thermals, tried them on once in a store but still never put them into the field.. Do they make a difference in the cold? I can't stand winter, if I could wear my snowmobiling gloves for work & still be productive I would.. I find that wearing the blue rubber ones in the cold actually make my fingers numb alot faster than wearing something like a leather/cowhide glove. Smoking probably doesn't help the old circulatory system either..

Very much so. I find that when it's 20 F or below, and the "std" Atlas gloves get a bit wet, they get cold. The "thermal" ones have more fabric inside the palm, so it takes a lot longer for them to get wet enough to chill me out. I pack 2 pairs with me, and change into a dry pair. For a couple $ per pair, why not carry spares?
I love winter, but when it gets snowy and your hands get wet and cold, I really like the "Memphis Ninja Ice" (honest) gloves. Latex palm too, kinda like "polar fleece" lining. Excellent for running snowblower in the wind.

Latest posts

Back