Best gloves for longevity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atlas Fit (unlined) and Atlas Therma-Fit are excellent gloves regardless of price and if you go to palm-flex, you can get them by the dozen very cheap.

I use whatever and just ignore the holes in the finger tips... try to protect the back of the hand, and the palms. If the holes at the tips get big enough I'll just snip off the whole end of the fingers. If it's a really cold day I'll start out with a new(ish) pair... work up a bit of a sweat and the hands (and feet) stay warm enough.

Atlas Fit (unlined) and Atlas Therma-Fit are excellent gloves regardless of price and if you go to palm-flex, you can get them by the dozen very cheap.

+1. I never tried the Atlas therma fit until recently because they just don't look durable compared to leather gloves. It turns out that they are cheaper, more durable, more comfortable, and provide better grip.

Menards

rubber/latex dipped blue outer and white inner....$1.85/pair and no cracked fingertips from tanning chemicals.

rubber/latex dipped blue outer and grey kevlar inner....ansi standard listed....2.95/pair....

They grip the wood so well that you use less energy and its much easier on tendons in the lower arm and hand.

When I split rounds then stack on the pallets a pair of those gloves will survive 3-4 cords.

I wear a pair of brown cotton gloves inside for warmth, comfort and to keep my hands a little drier from sweat or snow and to reduce vibration from machinery.

"Best gloves for longevity"

I don't think you usually will live any longer no matter which gloves you wear.:laugh:

My neighbor gave me a set of Towa Powergrab thermo gloves, they have held up really well. So well in fact that I was just shopping to buy a dozen. They were right around $42 for a dozen, but I can pull nails out of my nail pouch and have no problems using any tools.

Leather Gloves from Costco

Hi guys,
I burn 3-4 cords of wood per year to heat our house here in Wisconsin, and due to the where I dry and store the wood, it gets moved a couple of times. I know it's not the most efficient way to do things, but I'm okay with it because it gives me some exercise in the winter that I otherwise wouldn't get.
My question pertains to gloves. Seems like I wear out a pair of leather gloves every year. Usually buy plain (smooth) cowhide ones from the hardware store ($15 for the last pair). The fingertips just don't last very long from clasping the rough wood. Maybe this is normal, but I thought maybe somebody knows of a source for something like Kevlar-tipped gloves, or some other solution? No big deal, just a crazy question!
Do you have a COSTCO store near you? They are selling a 3-pack of Wells-Lamont full leather gloves w/ reinforced palms for 20 bucks. Yeah , we all can do the math, but thats 6.67 per pair and I've been using them in the woods for cutting & loading wood and been fairly happy with them for the price unless they are sopping wet. Then of course the leather ain't to durable!!

Fire Fighting Gloves

i will suggest you to use fire fighting gloves. it will keep your hand safe while burning the wood. fire fighting gloves will be the best choice for you. it's my suggestion you may follow it or may not it's up-to you.

i will suggest you to use fire fighting gloves. it will keep your hand safe while burning the wood. fire fighting gloves will be the best choice for you. it's my suggestion you may follow it or may not it's up-to you.

Hmm, I'm not using the gloves when I'm burning wood, only when I'm cutting and stacking, but thanks anyway.
And thanks to all who offered suggestions. Clearly buying ordinary leather gloves at the local hardware store was not in my best interest. I ended up buying a pair of the Atlas Thermafit, and it will be interesting to see how they hold up. Already I like the fact that I can handle wet wood and they don't soak through like leather.

You would be hard pressed to wear out a pair if good welding gloves.

They would offer some good protection too.

I mostly use insulated deerskin gloves, but wear out at least two pair every Winter.

I've been using the Wells Lamont ones you get at Costco for a couple years now and a set usually lasts most of a firewood season for about 4-6 cords of wood. At $20/set of 3 it's a pretty good deal.

Best gloves ever is the skin on your palms.

I used to work for a guy who installed fencing. If you asked him for a pair of gloves he would always say "gloves are expensive and they always tear, skin is free and it heals"

Still liking the rubber dipped gloves.

I used to work for a guy who installed fencing. If you asked him for a pair of gloves he would always say "gloves are expensive and they always tear, skin is free and it heals"

Still liking the rubber dipped gloves.

That reminds me of another tough skin example. My wife runs marathons, and sometimes we see people who run an entire marathon barefoot, on pavement. Those have got to be some tough feet! Likely that hands can also get real tough. But I think I'll continue using my gloves!:laugh:

Latest posts

Back