Best Handsaw? Shape? Length? Teeth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my Sugoi yesterday...

and if looks could kill the next tree I encounter is dead meat! That hook on the tip came razor sharp on mine and is described on the box as an ivy/vine slicer. I do alot of removal work and wanted to get something aggressive to reduce use of the 200T. Previously I was in a corona but the scabbard was cheap, crappy and largely ineffective as the teeth always hung up on the way in or out if you didn't line it up perfectly.

I was also impressed that the Sugoi came with leg straps as that's where I carry but after opening the box the straps turned out to be a bit cheesy...I will upgrade those and can't wait to get the thing into the action.

Can anyone attest to any major problems with this saw?

Thanks!

GitRdun said:
Can anyone attest to any major problems with this saw?
No major problems, only personal preference sorts of things, but I'll share some stuff.

First, I have to stand corrected on an earlier reply. The ivy slicer on my Sugoi IS sharpened. It's the blade hook end tip on the extendable Hyauchi that is not. They're both curved, about the same length and both yellow tools. Please pardon that mistake.

I've had both the Kwanzaa and the Sugoi. The Kwanzaa is smaller in scale and size. It is more on the level of the Corona scabbarded saws, which are OK saws in their own right, but like when you directly compare a Jaguar XK series to a Hyundai, you can compare that they both have 4 wheels and get you down the road in pretty much the same way. To many gas mileage and overall economy and upfront cost are major issues. Because of these considerations and you may have been, (and continue to be), unimpressed by the Jag. To that, I can only say, enjoy your Hyundai.

Here's a downside of the Sugoi.... the price of replacement blades. Now, they say the Sugoi is resharpenable, but I have attampted this. One day when my truck was having an engine mount replaced, I was waiting and had nothing else to do as my rig was up on the lift. I sharpened every single tooth on the Sugoi, handle to tip, on both sides. It came out sharper than the thrashed state I started with, but now it doesn't cut a straight line. I'm a freak about keeping tools sharp and sharpen all my stuff, and take great pride, but the Sugoi..... not a simple task. I was using a Corona diamond hone, but I think there must be a better tool for that purpose, mebbe like a 30 degree acute diamond angle file. Still, the carefulness and patient time you'll need to spend to bring it back to near new.... , best of luck. I'll sharpen it again if I find the right tool to do so, but for now, I have retired the Sugoi to ground duty, mounted the scabbard to the back of the chipper for use in collapsing fat V's in brush and as a 'machete' for trimming bushes and tips, fenceline work and general ground use. I traditionally use folding saws for these kinds of duties. The folding saws, when using in a machete-like manner, carry the possibility of folding back and the teeth slamming the tops of your 4 fingers. The Sugoi doesn't carry this risk, has the sharpened hook tip and is 60 mm longer than the folding Gomboy. Ground duties are taken on in a much more authoritative manner now and the Chipper is a more versatile tool because of it.

I almost bought a second Sugoi at a treeguy conference the other day, but there was a Natanoko 300mm, straight-blade scabbarded that I learned will accept a 300 mm Zubat blade. Overall, I like straight-blade better than curved, but the Natanoko can go both ways. I suppose it's fair to assume that the Zubats you all have can be converted to straight-blade by purchasing a Natanoko replacement blade. But then you have the problem of fitting the straight-blade saw into the curved sheath.

I've never climbed with a big scabbarded Silky, only the smaller ones like the ProSentei, Rootsaw and Gomtaro.

Thanks for your input...

One other mentioned the bolt holding the blade on loosens alot...did this happen to you? I was curious about the 'resharpenability'...Sugoi teeth look awfully tricky. Replacement blade at Wesspur is $44! One other concern was the bulkiness...it seems like they made that plastic scabbard with all kinds of extra flaps and holes and protrusions rather than going for a more stream-lined, space-efficient design. That said, it does seem to fit well on the lower leg at my height and I did like how the scabbard holds the saw snug and accepts the saw easily. Believe me, I was torn, while stocking up on rope, wedges, etc. I walked around Wesspur with it in my hand for 30 minutes before I finally decided to get it. I did a little footlocking with it when I got home and that was no problem. Anxious to be able to leave the chainsaw on the ground a bit more...as much as I love it:)

Same...

Ryan you can borrow my Sugoi if you want. I don'''t like silky scabbards. md, I'd rather bull out the handpruners on the small stuff < 1".

That's my answer--favorite handsaw--florian ratchetcut handshears.

:bowdown:

Pretty much always carry my secatuers with me also, alot guys laugh till they see you in action...

Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned. I prefer my Fanno #13 and leather scabbard. Works great for small limbs, and the occasional need for a handsaw when it is unsafe to use a chainsaw on larger limbs.

-My 2 cents

-Michael J. Platt

handsaw

A little embarassing but I use a Coglan's (you know the camping stuff?) handsaw. Came with a decent scabard, was super sharp and cost $20 can. It's a straight blade 12". I just ordered the 15" Silky Ibuky to use for thinning all the big evergreens everyone is afraid of now in the N.W.

I'll let everyone know how it is.

In the sense of handsaws, treemendous, you're going from one end of the handsaw universe to the other.

Whereas the ever-popular Zubat (the largest one) is 330 mm and the Sugoi is 360 mm your Ibuki blade is 390 mm (15.4") long- ZOIKS! The Ibuki is like the big, older brother of the Silky family. Enjoy.

gitrdun_climbr;568048 Can anyone attest to any major problems with this saw? [/QUOTE said:
Weeeellll, i'se don't have one of 'em, but I reckon it could leave some nasty pointy incisory marks on the top of your off hand.....or not, if you stay fo-cussed ....every momento that said weapon is brandished....

holy SUGOI!

Weeeellll, i'se don't have one of 'em, but I reckon it could leave some nasty pointy incisory marks on the top of your off hand.....or not, if you stay fo-cussed ....every momento that said weapon is brandished....

Ran that puppy today for the first time pruning a big, multi/leadered Deodar Cedar...I wouldn't challenge Luke Skywalker with it but she did her job. I spent an hour or so taking 3-4" diameter branches with it just to get the feel, then ordered up the 200 when it came time to take two stripped leaders. I may re-evaluate carrying on leg, my chaps kept bunching up around top of scabbard and before I knew it I was sawing cuts into them every time I holstered that beast. I can probably figure out a fix.

LOL, interesting that I can run saws in the tree all day without a scratch, then one quiet evening at home with a pocket knife, slash open the radial artery in my off hand cutting open a stupid shrink-wrap package, sending me to er, surgeons and painful, painful recovery. Don't get too comfy yall!

:stupid:

Last edited:
sugoi... and gitrdun, you should wear protective pants not chaps, chaps suck. the leg holster,... I love it but I have cut my fingers and pants more times then I would like to admit, while holstering and deholstering

Felco folder...

Best and sharpest hand saw that I have. I can cut 3-4 inch branches with ease. If it is too big for loppers and too small for the Echo, it gets a Felco haircut.

My pole saw blades are the same as my handsaw. Seventeen inch Fanno. I've used big logger hand saws, I liked them for bigger cuts, I've tried some Japanese models which were nice for suckers or smaller cuts. If my climbing chain saw is pinched the straighter models are nice. I keep a stock of blades all the time, so it's best for me overall. I'll show a photo someday of an old school saw that served me well for years.

i'm really liking my FANNO 17" curved blade, with wood handle and rubber/leather sheath. Was $40 less than some of the Silkys and works just fine. I also have a small Sandvik folder that i carry for rec climbing, to remove deadwood.

Best and sharpest hand saw that I have. I can cut 3-4 inch branches with ease. If it is too big for loppers and too small for the Echo, it gets a Felco haircut.

I've been using the felco 60 in my back pocket for years, It worked great until in a pinch I used it for a couple bone cuts while butchering a deer last season. That made it very dull, and I couldn't sharpen it by hand much better.

I replaced the blade, but I've also replaced my back pocket favorite with a Silky F180, it cuts a lot faster and smoother, but tends to tear at the end of the cut a little more than the felco. Probably due to larger teeth.

I've had a Sugoi since mid 2005, I may never use a bowsaw again.

Back