Best light

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this probably isn't asked too much, and I haven't seen it in any of the firewood charts...what types of wood produce good light

We are spending more time around the hunting camps campfire, and the wood we are using this year doesn't light up the area very well and was wondering if I brought something I had for my stove out there if it would be better.

We are currently using white oak. We have some soft maple and I have some poplar, beech, ash and elm. It kills me to use oak in a campfire, but on wet days it does help keep you warm, and that's what a guy at camp cut for himself and left his extra there for us.

Any ideas, or is there a list of the quality of light a type of wood gives off?

I don't know for sure but I would guess that anything like a pine or cottonwood that burns hot and fast would give off more flame and therefore more light than a denser hardwood that will burn slower. But that is just a guess so don't get mad at me if it don't work like that.

I know i like burning poplar outside for light around a campfire. Pine works, it pops and sparks too tho. Can be good or bad depending on the company. I would imagine like said above any softer wood will do the same.

I have a lot of campfires in my backyard, the oak makes great coals, but for flames and light I like pine. You are constantly feeding it but that is what burns bright. I still add some oak to keep good coals going.

I am burning elm in my stove and once it gets going there is only blue flame and arm roasting, finger searing heat. I would recommend good old pine with the cool yellow flame.

+1 on dry pine to light up the area. For bright yellow flames that last longer, I'd go with seasoned ash.

If you want to conserve the oak, seasoned black cherry and even elm leave some nice coals for starting the breakfast fire the next morning. They red coals kinda act as a night light.

Elevate your fire so the light is givien off higher from the ground.

Stand 3-4-5 of your splits on end with a small hollow area in the center, Light the fire in the center and the fire will go up through the center like a chimney. They will burn from the inside out at a fairly constant rate. Has much less smoke and will burn nearly twice as long as the same amount of wood in a pile.

It also makes a hotter more consistant heat for cooking.

Works for me.

My neighbor uses pine and stands it on end, then cuts most of the way down 4 or 5 times, then lights it in the center. The light it gives off is sort of nice. Don't know how else to describe it, but picture noodling a large 3' long log down about 2' so it is a pie on end. Seemed to work pretty well for his parties.

It might not be the type of wood, but the size of the wood!

When I light my fires in the morning, I use many small pieces of wood.

This works out to be a larger total "surface area" of wood which is on fire at the same time. Thus more flame. And more light! It brightly lights up the whole living room.

Then once I get things warmed up, I place a couple of large pieces on the fire. This has less total surface area, less flame, and not as bright of a light.

As an example of surface area, take one square log. It has the surface area of each side and each end. Now split it into 4 pieces. It now has the added surface area of where the splits were made. Now instead of 4 sides being on fire, you have 16 sides which are on fire.

Headlamp,simple ones without the 5 settings.The modern LED ones work great for hrs and hrs as long as you dont need to throw a beam long distance(say over 25').Its to bad they dont make longer tethers for the bat pack like the old ones that went either hanging inside your coat or somewhere on your belt(sled dog type).
Slip it on your hat early in the evening and leave it there all night.As we slip farther and farther into the dark months gaurantee the rest of your friends will do the same after seeing how nice your instant plentifull light on demand is.

ak4195

Back