Best Logger work pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the tin pants are in a class of thier own in my opinion.
That being said I've worn double faced loggers,carharts, and a bunch of others.
At the moment I like the fire hose pants the best!
Plus they have a no questions asked replacement warrenty.

I am a Carhartt guy, but have been looking at other options for the northwest in the woods.

Duluth seems to make a mean pair of pants with great reviews. Their "fire hose" pants. They seem to be favored over carhartt and are more water proof and tougher.

Then you have Filson tin pants and the filson line of clothing. Totally different price range.

Your thoughts on the matter?

I look for Carhart pants at a discount store here called Savers. Got a pair this summer for $4on there 1/2 off sale. Also a work jacket (hooded) for $6!

I don't know about anyone else, but to me it seems like Carhart has really shot up in price in the past few years. They seem to rip if I get in sight of barb wire and the fabric seems thinner.

I had some double faced denim pants I got from some forgotten farm supply place, Things were indestructible. Weighed a ton too and were worthless wet. I'd love to try the firehose pants or Filsons, but too much $$$. Guess it's Di ckies for me.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me it seems like Carhart has really shot up in price in the past few years. They seem to rip if I get in sight of barb wire and the fabric seems thinner.

I had some double faced denim pants I got from some forgotten farm supply place, Things were indestructible. Weighed a ton too and were worthless wet. I'd love to try the firehose pants or Filsons, but too much $$$. Guess it's Di ckies for me.

Yeah same feeling here. The original thick pants are pretty expensive and now the carhart "Duck" pants are the price they used to be..... and those are thin without the thicker knees:msp_unsure:

Slim fit wranglers for the win:cheers: Never snag in the brush and take a beating.

13MWZ, the original Wranger Cowboy Jeans, they work great, weather its cow punchin, ropin, breakin horses or ranch work. Either those or Carhartt double fronts are pretty much all I own and work in...

For my day to day "outside" pants I wear double front carhartt ducks. I take a tub of cheap snow seal and smear it all over the fronts. It seems to make them more abrasion resistant and they shed oil and water very well.

They stopped making carhartts in America, quality is not nearly as good. Next time I buy clothing, I'm gonna be looking for that made in USA label.

I know the long sleeve shirts I wear to weld in don't last near as long since they went over seas for production.

was down at my local mom&pop store that sell boot's and work wear and i see some peedee jean's . didn't have my size so i orderd a couple pair . i found out the old gal that made them back in the 70's and 80's is making them again in limated number's. can,t wait , these pants are real nice work pant's, these were the only jeans i've had to breakin like a pair of boot's.

They stopped making carhartts in America, quality is not nearly as good. Next time I buy clothing, I'm gonna be looking for that made in USA label.

That's pretty funny really! I didn't know that, but they sure are popular around where I live. Good ole boy redneckerson, USA flags stuck on everything (stickers and flags made in china), whatever chinee pants. And the chinee 'merikan baseball cap***.

Parked at walmart.....

Never owned a single carhartt anything, looked at the prices, went no thanks, I use army surplus pants. Who knows, maybe still made in the USA. I hope so. Love the pockets, and they seem to wear well. No blue jeans, any make, pockets suck and if you are really active, as in you actually bend a lot at the waist and climb and so forth, stuff falls outta the pockets, the hip pockets anyway.

***I'll admit my cheap floppy hat (I like full brims, not baseball cap styled, I don't like either hot sun nor rain in my face or down my neck) is made in china. As are most of my socks I think, or pakistan or..who knows. Pants and shirts though, army pants. My jacket and coat, army surplus.

I try anyway, to keep it home. Getting to the point it is starting to get impossible to avoid buying imported stuff. Electronics, forget it.

Need to go find some more army surplus clothes, mine are getting ready to replace.

What kind of boot grease? Like mink or dubin oil? I go through way to much of the filson oil. Takes forever for it to ship here.

I wear Wrangler-Riggs-Contractor-Dungaree-Duck-Pant, they are pretty tough, but the catch is I only pay about $8 for them from an outlet store that I drive past quite a bit. I just stop in and check for 32x36's and if they have them I by everyone they have, which is usually just 1-4 pairs. I really like them and for the price, I could care less if they get damaged, but for the life of me, I don't think, I have ever completely ruined a pair yet. I do have some that look pretty bad and probably wouldn't wear them to a church gathering or anything, but they still function for holding things in during rough and dirty work.

Here is a link to them.
davis-big-tall.amazonwebstore.com/Wrangler-Riggs-Contractor-Dungaree-Duck-Pant/M/B0055NWOYM.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

I have pretty much quit buying Carhart, they are just too expensive for what they do. I can buy at least 2 of any other brand at a normal price and that other brand will usually provide a rough looking "pants/shirt/coat" and a modestly, good looking version of the same, for the same price as one set of the Carharts that will look trashed.

I'm all for quality, but at some point it gets too expensive and if in the end the higher quality unit looks bad or wore out too, whats the point of spending it.

My opinion,

Sam

I wear Wrangler-Riggs-Contractor-Dungaree-Duck-Pant, they are pretty tough, but the catch is I only pay about $8 for them from an outlet store that I drive past quite a bit. I just stop in and check for 32x36's and if they have them I by everyone they have, which is usually just 1-4 pairs. I really like them and for the price, I could care less if they get damaged, but for the life of me, I don't think, I have ever completely ruined a pair yet. I do have some that look pretty bad and probably wouldn't wear them to a church gathering or anything, but they still function for holding things in during rough and dirty work.

Here is a link to them.
davis-big-tall.amazonwebstore.com/Wrangler-Riggs-Contractor-Dungaree-Duck-Pant/M/B0055NWOYM.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

I have pretty much quit buying Carhart, they are just too expensive for what they do. I can buy at least 2 of any other brand at a normal price and that other brand will usually provide a rough looking "pants/shirt/coat" and a modestly, good looking version of the same, for the same price as one set of the Carharts that will look trashed.

I'm all for quality, but at some point it gets too expensive and if in the end the higher quality unit looks bad or wore out too, whats the point of spending it.

My opinion,

Sam

I'm with Sam. Carharrt makes good clothing but 50 bucks for a flannel lined shirt is rediculous. :msp_thumbdn: They have fell off in the quality dept IMO anyways. Still great stuff, just not worth the price anymore to me. A pair is lucky to last me two years now. I use to wear Carhartts for 10 years sometimes.

I go to the Ernie Sullins outlet and buy the 3 dollar wrwnglers and such. Heck, they pretty much last about as long as the Carhartts.

I do think that the quality of Carhartt suffered since they quit making them in the U S of A. I notice alot of mine say "Bangledesh". Is that even worse then China? :D

Last edited:
Certainly not as rough and tough as Carharts but good for me are my Ben Davis. I like a pant that does not have a crappy zipper. Levis and Wranglers have a zipper problem for me. The zipper goes before they are worn out. These Ben Davis go to the rag bin with good zippers. It takes years to get to the rag bin BTW. I had Carharts years ago for hunting deer in the white thorn brush. Finally out grew them and they were still servicable. Sad to hear they are overseas made now.
Do any of you wear Ben Davis? The gorilla cut fits my heavy, squatty body and most others do not. Mike

Latest posts

Back